CrazyBoards.org

It never gets better

I have thyroid eyes, or PTSD eyes, or schizo eyes, or something, and I scare people. I have given up at the age of 50 of having a social life. Therapy doesn't help this. Meds doesn't soothe it away. It only gets worse.

The best thing I can do now is feel very lucky that I snagged a spouse who lives with this debilitating problem with me. (So far) And to stay away from people. I may sound pessimistic, but when you've been dealing with this for 1/2 a century and nothing works, then it's time to coddle it.

I have thyroid eyes, or PTSD eyes, or schizo eyes, or something, and I scare people. I have given up at the age of 50 of having a social life. Therapy doesn't help this. Meds doesn't soothe it away. It only gets worse.

The best thing I can do now is feel very lucky that I snagged a spouse who lives with this debilitating problem with me. (So far) And to stay away from people. I may sound pessimistic, but when you've been dealing with this for 1/2 a century and nothing works, then it's time to coddle it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, something to look forward to.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, something to look forward to.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Im not going to be 'Miss Bright S unshine' here, but I do have my good days and my bad days. there are times when its like pulling teeth to get me to do anything but stay here in this home, then there are times that it dawns on me that part of the problems I suffer from, is the fact that I cut myself off from a normal life that I see others around me exist in.

Only in this recent year have I been getting out more,was it a push? No, more like a leap of faith, and a hope, but like I said, I still have my bad days, noone is perfect...but dont give up...thats my advice.

I wonder, how much have you tried to combat the social anxiety specifically?  I have noticed that when you have a mood disorder the doctors always focus on that above everything else.  Of course you have to take that into consideration but you have to have medications and therapies specifically targeted at the anxiety.  Have you undergone a course of CBT for social anxiety?  Tried benzos on a daily basis if necessary?

Heya,

As posted elsewhere, with BP and SP rolled up together, SSRIs are a bit worrisome.

Anyone tried beta-blockers (propranolol, etc.) for SP?  Works for people with public speaking ... wonder if it works for dinners too?

--ncc--

The beta blocker question is interesting. I take a beta blocker at night to slow down my tachycardia and make me less aware of my heart so that I can sleep. If all that a beta blocker does is to make you less aware of your heart palpating, then wouldn't it follow that it only helps in cases of social anxiety where the biggest problem is over-self awareness, specifically of how fast your heart is pounding?

I've taken a beta blocker for years, and I can say it definitely helps with the physical problems of social phobia.  I, believe it or not, do lots of public speaking, and the beta blocker helps the wobbly knees and the shakey voice.  When I'm speaking publicly in connection with my job, I'm fine.  No one would ever know my terror.

However, when it comes to social functions, it has done nothing to help me want to socialize.  I will do everything I can to avoid social situations.  The beta blocker does nothing to help me WANT to be with people. The holidays are my nightmare.  The parties and family gatherings that I'm expected to attend make me crazy.  I'm usually okay one on one, but being in a whole roomful of people where I have to make small talk is, I guess a fear, but since my physical symptoms have been taken away by the beta blocker, it now feels more like an intense dislike.

I would love to find something that would help me relax and actually enjoy being with people.  Alcohol used to help, but Wellbutrin seems to now be blocking the positive effects of the alcohol.

Archived