CrazyBoards.org

Have any of you experienced an increase in Sx (specifically agitation, paranoia and psychosis) while using an e-cigarette?

My partner has smoked cigarettes for years, and has been trying to switch to using an e-cig instead. Over time, I've been noticing that his Sx (he has schizoaffective disorder) increase when he is using the e-cig more than regular cigarettes.

Is there any data about the chemicals in the nicotine liquid that could exacerbate MI Sx? Anecdotal experiences? I'm trying to quit smoking and have considered switching to an e-cig, but not if it makes my MI worse.

Thanks!

Is it possible he is consuming less nicotine with the e-cig than he was when he smoked real cigarettes? That's the first idea that popped into my head. I haven't heard it stated explicitly that nicotine withdrawal worsens psychotic sx but I imagine it would.

ETA: Smoking a regular cigarette, whatever strength, yields about 1mg of nicotine.

Edited by mcjimjam

Yes look into how much mg's are in the E-Cig nicotine although the delivery form is often an issues (it being carcinogenic and all) has been studied for its beneficial effects in schizophrenia (literature exists just Google).

It most likely has to do with the amount of nicotine being released either too much or too little; so look into how much is listed on the cartridge it usually ranges from 1-5 mg. 

I'm not sure how much nicotine is being released when he uses the e-cig, but he uses one of the higher concentration fluids. If he is craving nicotine, the e-cig quells the craving, so he must be getting some. And the days he has gone without any nicotine in any form, he doesn't have the same increase in psychotic Sx (he gets more irritable, yes).

Which is why I am thinking there might be something in the e-cig that triggers Sx.

Well AFAIK nicotine is the only drug you ingest with an e cig. I guess it's possible one of the inactive ingredients could cause this, but it seems unlikely. Could it be a coincidence? I would try switching to nicotine patches + gum and see if it makes a difference.

Nicotine is probably the culprit, but I feel I should mention that e-cigarettes contain high levels of toxic metals (http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/electronic-cigarettes-contain-higher-levels-toxic-metal-nanopartices-tobacco) . That's probably not the cause, but it's worth a mention. 

Could also be withdrawal from some of the other chemicals in tobacco. Regardless, I hope he gets better.

I use an e-cigarette, and it has helped my symptoms! 

The only things in an e-cig are nicotine, vegetable glycerine, proplene glycol, and flavour. Nothing to exacerbate symptoms.

My personal guess is that he is getting less nicotine. When I don't get enough nicotine, my psychosis symptoms rise up.

Nicotine is probably the culprit, but I feel I should mention that e-cigarettes contain high levels of toxic metals

Way less than a real cigarette. Way less chemicals. There are many studies that prove this. The one you included is a bit of an aberration.

I echo Pamito, there are good ecigs out there that have an atomiser and a variable voltage battery and lots of juices to try in a good range of strengths. They may seem expensive but not smoking will free up a fair chunk of money and are worth the investment. If you need help, drop me a line of ask in here and I'll try to find you things that will work better.

I think there are studies that show that nicotine can help with symptoms, which is why so many psych patients smoke.

I use an e-cig most of the time now. It took me a couple of tries to find a good one but now that I have I find I don't miss cigarettes at all. And my lungs are much happier!

I think there are studies that show that nicotine can help with symptoms, which is why so many psych patients smoke.

I use an e-cig most of the time now. It took me a couple of tries to find a good one but now that I have I find I don't miss cigarettes at all. And my lungs are much happier!

Which model do you use?

I have researched them a bit but found all the options confusing. I'm trying to quit with patches and gum now but if this doesn't work out the e-cig is one of few things I haven't tried.

Mc JimJam,

I use a Vision Spinner 1200mah which cost me about $25. I like to get juice from mtbakervapor.com, in 18mg strength. I use a kanger EVOD clearomiser on top to put the juice in.

If I can make the change to e-cigs, anyone can! Also, nicotine helps my psychosis A LOT. I tend to believe the nicotinic receptors are well involved in schizophrenia, which is why most of us smoke and why nicotine can be a good thing for people with psychosis.