CrazyBoards.org

My tdoc wanted me to ask my pdoc if I may also have ADD(inattentive)  I have BP2 and pdoc said that the symptoms I am having are part of the BP2 dx.  The tdoc wanted me to ask because I don't ever finish projects.  Doesn't matter if they are big or small.  I also am VERY easily distracted, have several thoughts at the same time (always), racing thoughts, frequently irritable and strong anger (almost rage) over stupid things.  When I asked my children what they thought all 5 of them were hysterical and said things like 'duh mom, it so obvious' and 'don't bother with a test, we're sure'  It was quite funny.  :D

Pdoc says it's highly unlikely since I wasn't dx'd when I was 11 or so.  This is a relatively new pdoc and I'm not sure how I feel about him, but I'm done trying different pdocs.  Anyway, he prescribed 10mg of Adderall to take in the morning and again at noon.  He said if I had ADD (which he doubted) that I would notice a difference and if I didn't have ADD that I wouldn't want to take it because my reaction would be really bad after a couple of days.

I took the first dose at 8am this morning.  After an hour I noticed a huge difference that lasted about 3 hours and somewhat lingered still.  I was under the impression it would take a few days to take effect.  My brain was quiet and seemingly peaceful.  It was so nice!  I don't remember my brain so quiet and  didn't get easily distracted.  It was weird because I felt 'slowed down' but could still function well.  I am considered slower moving than most.  My mom has ADHD and moves very fast.

Is this possible or am I making myself feel this way?  According to my husband I can feel/act a certain way if I think I should/would.

Make sense?

Does it really matter if it is ADD or Bipolar? To me they are just labels. The important thing is to get your symptoms treated. My pdoc has also said that my lack of concentration is caused by bipolar.

I think in both cases the distractibility is caused by low dopamine. But im not a doctor

Edited by CookieN

It doesn't really matter.  I was also wondering if the Adderall really worked that fast or if it was just my mind wanting it to.  I will be ecstatic if it really works this well for me.  I think that's one of the reasons I was asking about possibly having ADD. 

I don't think I'm saying what I really want to communicate.  I used to be able to, but over the last several years my brain has become less smart :(

I have seen Adderall make a difference from the first dose.    Sounds like it did what it is supposed to for ADD - help you stay w/ a task and concentrate better.    Also can energize you if depression is the problem.      Hope it proves helpful whether ADD or depression is the culprit causing your "brain fog" as I call it.    Your brain is just as smart as ever I bet -  mental illness can "dull" us at times.  But better days may be ahead - and Adderall may be a plus.  Just don't take 2nd dose too late and then have your sleep messed up.    My best to you. 

Adderall often does start working straight away. Many of us here have both BP and ADD. It's a common comorbidity. The fact that you weren't diagnosed as a child is probably more to do with you having more inattentive symptoms than hyperactive. You would have been less likely to get noticed by teachers and parents than a hyperactive child. 

Adderall often does start working straight away. Many of us here have both BP and ADD. It's a common comorbidity. The fact that you weren't diagnosed as a child is probably more to do with you having more inattentive symptoms than hyperactive. You would have been less likely to get noticed by teachers and parents than a hyperactive child. 

One of many possibilities. I have several hyperactive/impulsive symptoms and my mother even took me to a doctor about my hyperactivity and he just blew her off. Sometimes it's simply professional ignorance.

But yeah, any medical professional who says one can't have it because they weren't diagnosed as children is not aware of current understanding. I can look it up later, but a significant number of people with ADHD have made it into adulthood without a diagnosis.

The Adderall appears to work.  I take 10mg in the morning and within 45 min I feel slowed down in my head.  It's hard to explain.  It's less 'busy' and focused. It's so awesome.  The effect isn't as strong with my second dose at 12-1pm but it's still better.  Today after the second dose I actually went to sleep for half an hour.

My pdoc is nice, but not sure how good he is.  He's been practicing for 30 years.  At least he is open to listening to me.  I had one pdoc who treated me like I was an idiot.

Regarding adult diagnosis: I don't think the issue is whether one makes it to adulthood without a diagnosis. That is not so uncommon, especially for inattentive type. The issue of adult diagnosis has much more to do with whether you had inattentive or other ADHD symptoms when you were young. ADHD is thought of as something one grows out of, not into. That might be what you pdoc meant - if you didn't have symptoms as a kid, you probably don't have ADHD now. ??

I had some ADD symptoms when I was young but I managed fine until my MI worsened. Worsening MI plus MI meds kind of depleted my reserves to be able to martial my thoughts to overcome the inattention. At least that is the best way I can describe it for me. I probably would have done better in school with stims, but did well enough without them that I don't regret not having been diagnosed. And, truth is, I don't really care whether I have an ADHD diagnosis or not. Adderall makes a real difference in my life now. That is what is important.

I did not really feel a difference until 20mg, but everyone is different.

Regarding adult diagnosis: I don't think the issue is whether one makes it to adulthood without a diagnosis. That is not so uncommon, especially for inattentive type. The issue of adult diagnosis has much more to do with whether you had inattentive or other ADHD symptoms when you were young. ADHD is thought of as something one grows out of, not into. That might be what you pdoc meant - if you didn't have symptoms as a kid, you probably don't have ADHD now. ??

I had some ADD symptoms when I was young but I managed fine until my MI worsened. Worsening MI plus MI meds kind of depleted my reserves to be able to martial my thoughts to overcome the inattention. At least that is the best way I can describe it for me. I probably would have done better in school with stims, but did well enough without them that I don't regret not having been diagnosed. And, truth is, I don't really care whether I have an ADHD diagnosis or not. Adderall makes a real difference in my life now. That is what is important.

I did not really feel a difference until 20mg, but everyone is different.

^this^ ^this^ ^this^ 

As said, children go undiagnosed all the time. Very, very common.

As said, Bipolar Disorder and ADD diagnosis's are very, very common.

As said, the diagnosis as an adult is not necessarily all that important. Not unless you need documentation for a college or university (although if you have other MI, an ADD diagnosis is still not needed).

As long as your doctor recognizes it & treats it, that is the main issue.

What it sounds like is that your doctor has no idea and is doing a trial & error through a stimulant. It is not too uncommon for a doctor to do that If he or she feels you are stable enough. Mainly because it really can be hard to differentiate some of the ADD & Bipolar symptoms.

The good part? It is a chance to receive treatment. The possible bad part? If this stimulant fails, he may be reluctant to try a different one because to him "it really is bipolar!".

As for the Adderall specifically? I can not chime in. I have done well on Ritalin, but Ritalin LA made me slightly hypomanic. And as for Adderall XR? Completely mixed-manic-depressed-anxious-psycho woman. And with that I will probably not give Adderall a shot :P I am more responsive to non-stimulants anyway. However many have given good advice, and I wish you luck on this new journey :)

I absolutely believe that if the Aderrall didn't work he would not try anything else.  Of course, I would have believed the same because I never thought of myself in that way until my tdoc brought it up and I asked my family. 

It's been amazing during the time it's working.  I cleaned the kitchen today and it wasn't even hard :)  And I didn't do it a bit at a time, but all at once.  It's also helping me to plan my daughter's wedding (in 4 weeks = very stressful)  Normally I would have freaked out on a regular basis. :wacko:   I take advantage of the times I know it will be working.

I appreciate everyone's input.  ADD and aderrall are completely new to me.