CrazyBoards.org

So Damn Agitated

I'm so agitated and manic. It hasn't stopped. Now I'm in the over stimulation just want everything to shut the f up kinda phase. Earlier it was driving all over town impulse buying, then doing crazy amounts of housework, crocheting and then putting it down because I couldn't focus, and now this damn dog I'm babysitting is making me want to climb the walls cuz I just want to be QUIET! I hate this...my doc added Zyprexa yesterday and today I've already had 4 mg of Ativan and it hasn't got me anywhere.

Current cocktail updated

Abilify 35mg

Ativan 1mg prn but now I'm up to 6mg

Lamictal-100mg and rising

Zyprexa 5mg (just started yesterday)

Ambien-5-10mg

I feel like I need immediate relief and I'm not getting any.

I would question your pdoc about each of your meds and what benefit you are getting from them right now. Lamictal and Abilify can make a person manic, so unless they are doing something for you, is it worth taking them during this episode? Once you are stabilised is a different story but I think just as antidepressants are usually temporarily withdrawn during mania, maybe other activating meds should be too.

Lamictal is a mood stabilizer. It isn't likely to be making the OP manic. Abilify can be activating. That doesn't mean that it is for the OP. I would imagine that if the cocktail was working prior to this change in mood that they aren't activating for the OP and may be making things a lot better than they would have been. Certainly, the OP should discuss meds with pdoc and evaluate each of the meds. Just because a med *can* be activating for some people, that does not mean that it *will* be activating.

It's just that the meds were introduced during this episode, and she hasn't felt any better. I didn't mean to suggest that they were definitely contributing to the problem, just that the possibility may be worth considering. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

see your Dr.

And are you keeping a record, or mood charting or even a blog on this site?  It may be very helpful to figure out exactly what is helping you, what isn't and what kind of symptoms.  It will help your Dr. and you hone in on what works best.  And it is good to look back at and figure how long you have been on something.

I have found mood charting very helpful, most importantly in the middle of an episode when my Dr. and I are looking for something that works for me.

I would ask for an increase in your zyprexa. I was on 20mg of it for quite some time. And anything above 30mg of abilify leaves me agitated and fuzzy in the head. Not saying that this will help or happen to you, just sharing my experience. Talk to your pdoc about everything. He/she will know what changes to make to help you calm down.

Sorry you are feeling so icky. That's no fun.

i agree with all of the above:

1. CALL YOUR PDOC. Zyprexa can stop mania in its tracks, and you may just need to quell it with that for emergency purposes, and have a stash on hand

2. Try to get some sleep. Talk to your pdoc about another benzo if ativan isn't cutting it.

3. I couldn't do the lamictal/abilify combo because it was too activating. Like you, I wanted to climb the walls. Eventually abilify itself leveled me out, but it's not doing everything, as i'm still having breakthrough episodes. Try talking to you pdoc about that combo. It might be exacerbating your symptoms, and titrating up on lamictal can be beastly (as I'm sure you know.)

We haven't heard from you- how are you?