CrazyBoards.org

Doc says I probably dont have schizophrenia

I suspected that I have had the negative symptoms of schizophrenia which is why I dont go out much, but he says my psychosis isnt typical and I probably dont have sz as it was drug induced. And I am too smart and articulate to have negative symptoms.

I stay on the zoloft for now but my risperidone is getting reduced to 1mg he said even .5mg if I want.

We are now suspecting internet addiction as the problem.

Edited by ScrambleHead

I suspected that I have had the negative symptoms of schizophrenia which is why I dont go out much, but he says my psychosis isnt typical and I probably dont have sz as it was drug induced. And I am too smart and articulate to have negative symptoms.

Granted, because you have had drug-induced psychosis it does not mean it is or will develop into any kind of Schizophrenic disorder. However, negative symptoms may have cognitive symptoms which delay, scramble &/or slow down thought processing; but the actual intellect of a person is not necessarily affected.

We are now suspecting internet addiction as the problem.

I understand addiction to the point it affects daily functioning, it can hurt your relationship with others, and it can cause difficulty staying in the "real world" while away from what you are addicted to. I am wondering how it relates to psychosis? Especially to the point that a Schizophrenic disorder diagnosis was an option? I am very curious :huh:

They are two seperate issues but I suspected the negative symptoms where keeping me away from people but its internet addiction thats keeping me away from people thats how they are related.

When he said smart I think he meant speed of thought not intellect.

Edited by ScrambleHead

Thank you for clearing up the confusion :)

Addiction definitely can separate you from other people, and that goes for many kinds of addiction as well. When you have an addiction it's almost as if you isolate yourself so you can feed that addiction.

It's good your psychiatrist is giving you feedback on what he thinks is going on. Do you have a therapist? A therapist can help you sift out thoughts & feelings, and help you figure out exactly what they are & what they mean. During this whole situation, it may be very beneficial for you.

If you already have a therapist, it may be worth talking to on what is going through your mind at your current situation. The journey through any kind of mental illness, whether it be organic, situational, chemical or addiction, is a difficult one.

I wish you the best :)

How many therapists have you actually tried?

I have seen a lot of them over the decades and I would not label them as 'ingenuine"

indeed I think most of them are quite sincere

I saw one in highschool, then I saw one for about a year last year, and another in the ward briefly. I find a good tell to their insincerity is their overly animated facial expressions. I think they have tendancy to be too positive and uncritical about things which makes it hard to get any depth to a topic. All the ones I have seen have also been closed about their own thoughts so that they can play assumptious mind games.

For example my old psychologist(the one I saw for a year) would make up a situation he was in or make reference to an anonymous patient, at the time having me believe it were actually true, get my response on it and assume my reaction or attitude on that situation based on my response to what he said.

I met a girl once who studied psychology, I remember her asking me some blatant line of questioning like what animal would you be, what drink would you take to dessert island and one other question and the answers you give are quite revealing about your personality, such as if you choose water, fruit juice, or alcohol.

My friend has studied psychology and he says most of what psychologists say have an alterior motive that involves a mind game.

Edited by ScrambleHead

Well it's at least good that you did not get the dx of schizophrenia. It's not something that you would want to cling on to. Me personally I have had only one true paranoid schizophrenic attack and the thing was horrid ( worse than hell ) ! Trust me you are lucky in that department. Keep in touch with your feelings and don't lose grip of reality. When you feel yourself losing it just involve yourself in something that requires time and keeps your mind off the current situations which would have to be something you like.

Schizoaffective Depressive Type

Depakote 1500mg  Risperdal  2mg  Wellbutrin XL  300mg  Citalopram  10mg  (Hydroxyzine  50mg  Atenolol  10mg both 3x a day)

How many therapists have you actually tried?

I have seen a lot of them over the decades and I would not label them as 'ingenuine"

indeed I think most of them are quite sincere

I saw one in highschool, then I saw one for about a year last year, and another in the ward briefly. I find a good tell to their insincerity is their overly animated facial expressions. I think they have tendancy to be too positive and uncritical about things which makes it hard to get any depth to a topic. All the ones I have seen have also been closed about their own thoughts so that they can play assumptious mind games.

For example my old psychologist(the one I saw for a year) would make up a situation he was in or make reference to an anonymous patient, at the time having me believe it were actually true, get my response on it and assume my reaction or attitude on that situation based on my response to what he said.

I met a girl once who studied psychology, I remember her asking me some blatant line of questioning like what animal would you be, what drink would you take to dessert island and one other question and the answers you give are quite revealing about your personality, such as if you choose water, fruit juice, or alcohol.

My friend has studied psychology and he says most of what psychologists say have an alterior motive that involves a mind game.

For one, there is a difference between a psychologist & a therapist. Just like there are differences with therapists & counselors. As well as psychologists & psychiatrists.

Second, they are trying to read you too. Considering my flat & seemingly insincere facial expressions when I am depressed, I would not want a therapist to have your frame of mind :P

And with that said, it is hard to read a patient when they are flat, or anxious, or depressed, or hypo/manic, or psychotic. The only really way is to talk to someone and get to know what is going through that persons mind & emotions. The same thing can be said about reading a therapist.

You can not really judge a person on what their face says, or even what you heard about therapists from a psychology-student-friend. You have to be open for therapy, as well as work with a therapist for personal understanding of each other & bonds with each other.

A therapist is not somebody you necessarily talk to, like you would a psychiatrist who prescribes medications. Instead a therapist is who you create a relationship with to talk with.