CrazyBoards.org

I told my husband that I was happy that my new diet has resulted in me losing 6lbs already. He says if I can be happy about that then I can be happy period stop. I want to analyze this but it seems like too much effort. I have been working to do all the healthy things, but it is so exhausting. I want to just give up everything. I don't want to be med compliant anymore. I don't want to be therapy compliant any more and I kinda haven't because the last two weeks I've canceled out on him. I just sit and stare. Sometimes I listen to music. But I haven't done anything that I haven't been dragged into doing for at least this whole month. 

Does my feeling happy about losing weight mean I have the ability to be happy in the rest of my life I'm just too lazy to do so?

It's been my experience at least that one event that causes happiness is a thing that should be incredibly celebrated because happy things come few and far between.  It isn't as if there aren't things in my life that make me happy, I just don't feel it as much as I "should."

Don't let people tell you how you are supposed to be feeling.  Right means right for you, not right for anyone else.

I also understand wanting to give up.  Some days, it just doesn't seem worth it. 

Your husband is a dork. Depression doesn't necessarily make one only capable of misery. In fact, at least with bipolar, one of the characteristics is that your mood can temporarily elevate if something pleasurable or fun happens. That is how it has works for me. But even with MDD, you are going to have a good day here and there. It is a mood disorder, not just a bad day.

Does your husband really know so little about your illness at this point? It was a pretty clueless comment.

Not all episodes of depression have ahedonia, and if a person has that they can feel temporarily happier. Sometimes I was almost afraid to tell people I had a good day out of fear they would then invalidate me if I needed help later on. Husband needs some education on this, preferably by your therapist or doctor.