CrazyBoards.org

Thinking about trying Zoloft...give me your experiences

Got an appt tomorrow. Thinking of asking my pdoc about Zoloft. Heard its great for anxiety which I've been having tons of lately and I have two friends who take it and think its awesome. How are your all's experiences on it. Biggest thing I'm concerned about is insomnia, which I've always seemed to have a problem with on everything except remeron. I see its a huge side effect in the pi sheet. I've been on cymbalta, lexapro, nortriptyline and remeron in the past. How would say it compares to those if you have any experience with those meds? Any thoughts and advice is appreciated!

Zoloft was my go-to AD for a long time. I tried various other things but often went back to Zoloft (of course your mileage may vary). Definitely activating at first, but for me that settled down after a few weeks to a month. Some of the activation was dose-related, and diminished when I backed down on the dose. Also some GI issues in the beginning, but that subsided within the first few weeks too. Ironically, the only time in my life I've had serious insomnia was when I went off Zoloft and tried Effexor for a while. Never much of an issue for me on the Zoloft. I tried Cymbalta for a while after having been on Zoloft for years, and it felt pretty similar to the Zoloft to me. You and I seem to be doing things in reverse order, as I am on Nortriptyline now. I also tried Remeron briefly years ago, but I think that's the one I recall as "the lost weekend," because I was a zombie for 36 hours. Of the many things I've tried over the years Zoloft was one of the few that didn't screw me up in some way, so I think of it kind of fondly. I never specifically noticed a positive effect on my anxiety while on Zoloft, but it likely was there, judging by the degree of anxiety I've had since switching to Nortriptyline. Hopefully you'll have good luck with the Zoloft.

I took Zoloft for a couple of years about 12 years ago, pre Bipolar diagnosis. Didn't do much for anxiety or depression. 

My daughter's child psychiatrist put her on Zoloft 18 months ago - she has an anxiety disorder.  She is currently at a low dose of 75mg.  It has worked wonderfully for her - she is 12 and it has made therapy more helpful now that her anxiety is under control.

She takes 6mg of Melatonin at night to help her sleep.  She had some issues falling asleep prior to being on Zoloft, so I don't think that for her it was a side effect.

Edited by Frenetic47

Zoloft was excellent for the panic disorder I had at the time. Once I was above 100mg I didn't have any more attacks, not even in the years since I stopped taking it. The side effects I remember were mainly stomach issues like nausea and diarrhea. I think that was mainly around when the dosage was increased. It didn't help my depression, but I have BP and wasn't on a mood stabiliser back then.

Well we decided to give the cymbalta another shot but adding 15 mg of remeron to the mix. I've taken both(not together) in the past and both have their plus and minuses. I'm hoping that they both can somewhat cancel out each other's negative side effect and be a potent combo. Hoping the remeron can cancel the crappy ass sleep cymbalta gives me as well as dampen some of the jitteriness it gave me in the past. And hoping by the same token the cymbalta can make my ass get out of bed a little easier in the morning and take away that slight drag ass feeling remeron gives me. Most of heard of the Effexor/remeron combo called "California rocket fuel". Well cymbalta/remeron is the same concept but apparently it's called "limerick rocket fuel" if you do a search. Where the limerick comes from...I haven't the foggiest. But I got hope for this combo.

Zoloft made me really suicidal. It was weird . But it's a possible side effect of all AD's.

Just about any crazymed really. I tried out neruontin this spring for headahces and it did a number on me mentally. Yeah.....good old supposedly benign Neurontin.  Intense feelings of hopelessness and anxiety. I wouldn't say I was suicidal, but I honestly thought I was losing my mind for a couple of months. I take the black box warnings a little more seriously now. Thankfully that's the only one that's done that to me so far on the med merry go round.

Edited by quiet storm

Zoloft treated my social anxiety really well and helped my mood but it sort of blunts your excitement for things. It make alcohol more pleasurable, and its treating my OCD.

But it can be very subtle, its not a happy pill. You should try Prozac 1st though and this is what my new psychiatrist said I should of been on 1st, I also heard Prozac has less sexual side effects for men.

I am also part of the 5% or so that dont get stimulated from SSRIs so sleeplessness isnt an issue for me.

From what I have heard Effexor is meant to be better than Zoloft and Prozac.

I don't rate Zoloft/Sertraline much, although it is the only SSRI I have tried twice, so can't be that bad.  It did have side effects for me - jaw clenching, sexual problems, sweating, etc.  But it did (at the start anyway) help with social anxiety, killed my appetite / weight loss and possibly helped with anxiety. Did nothing for depression, pain or sleep issues. 

Overall it wasn't helpful but not harmful either. I vastly prefer it to Celexa / Citalopram  - that med made me feel a weird mixture of tired and drugged up AND agitated all at the same time, actually made my depression worse.  I found Effexor OK but had to stop due to side effects on bloodpressure/heart.  I believe Cymbalta is very similar to Effexor? 

Never heard of the combination of Cymbalta and Mirtazapine - normally it is Effexor and Mirtazapine - hope it works for you anyhow. 

I don't rate Zoloft/Sertraline much, although it is the only SSRI I have tried twice, so can't be that bad.  It did have side effects for me - jaw clenching, sexual problems, sweating, etc.  But it did (at the start anyway) help with social anxiety, killed my appetite / weight loss and possibly helped with anxiety. Did nothing for depression, pain or sleep issues. 

Overall it wasn't helpful but not harmful either. I vastly prefer it to Celexa / Citalopram  - that med made me feel a weird mixture of tired and drugged up AND agitated all at the same time, actually made my depression worse.  I found Effexor OK but had to stop due to side effects on bloodpressure/heart.  I believe Cymbalta is very similar to Effexor? 

Never heard of the combination of Cymbalta and Mirtazapine - normally it is Effexor and Mirtazapine - hope it works for you anyhow.

Cymbalta and Effexor are both SNRI's. The big difference is Effexor only really starts effecting norepinephrine above 150mg and above I believe. Below that it functions pretty much as an SSRI. Cymbalta works on serotonin and norepi at all dosage levels.

For me, Zoloft was great for obsessions and depression. I took it for about a year, but I have been off it for a few months since I felt like the side effects (emotional numbness) became greater than any benefit it was providing me; Also, I recently had an ECT treatment series, which I felt obviated its use.

For me it worked okay for the past 2 years or so. Of course thats partly because I kept going off and on of it by own doing.

The only side affects I had were terrible nausea and sometimes vomiting. I have been at a very high dose of 200mg and it seems to do it justice. It took a long while to get to that dose though.

I was on Zoloft for maybe about a year for OCD.

it was somewhat effective for a while, but eventually I was over the highest recommended dose and it just wasn't working anymore. they say that OCD tends to require much higher doses of SSRIs though, so that might not be a problem for you.

overall I liked it. it helped a lot with the obsessions and anxiety, and the side effects were minimal. only side effect I noticed was constant yawning. to the point where my eyes would tear-up. annoying, but definitely tolerable as psych med side effects go.

Zoloft made me really violent towards myself for no reason. No idea why. So anxious on it.

I preferred Luvox. I had been on Prozac before, which had helped. Luvox helped more.

Goddamn, I'm pushing Luvox lately.. heh.