CrazyBoards.org

Benchmarks (bench is shrinking)

I am definitely worse than I was this time last year, and that was worse than the year before.

Halloween's giving me the benchmark.
It's a fair old event in our village, and I'm known for doing my part with a decorated window and handing out sweets and a scare or two to visitors.

Two years ago I picked up my last weekly shop before Halloween at Tesco while wearing my Halloween outfit, as the store workers were all in theirs.  Mine was scarier.

Last year I had to order the treats on-line, and I was worried whether I'd have the stamina to keep answering the front door. (I did, but I paid for it for the next two or three days).

This year it's not even a "pushing it" option.
I do have some sort of workaround in mind, but me being able to stay lying down is a requirement.

I have managed to get my Halloween railway out, and it may not need too much work (Dracula appears to be operational).  A new arrangement is also out of the question.

Oh well.  "If you can't take a joke you shouldn't have joined," as my grandfather taught me.

Chris.

When my grandma got too frail to keep answering the door for trick-or-treaters, she would fix up a few dozen little Halloween themed paper baggies full of candy and leave them in plastic pumpkins on the front porch with her porch light on. No real way of preventing people from taking more than one, but it seemed to work just fine. 

*makes booing and hissing noises at bench getting shorter*

I'm sorry your stamina isn't where you'd like it to be.

In the absence of minions, maybe you could rig up a pulley system for the door and build a costume around staying in bed.

<3

When my grandma got too frail to keep answering the door for trick-or-treaters, she would fix up a few dozen little Halloween themed paper baggies full of candy and leave them in plastic pumpkins on the front porch with her porch light on. No real way of preventing people from taking more than one, but it seemed to work just fine. 

When I used to go out for Halloween, some of the houses just left a huge bowl of candy outside their doors, one with a sign saying something like "on the honor system" (I don't remember exactly, but it was the gyst).  Like hagar said, it doesn't prevent people from taking more than their share, but it seemed to work out too.

In the absence of minions, maybe you could rig up a pulley system for the door and build a costume around staying in bed.

<3

You are on the right track.  Something with rope is exactly what is in my mind.  From an upstairs window.  Depending on the weather I may be able to rig my webcam to give me a view.

Dig out (not up) the life-size Zombie Pirate head...

... and leave them in plastic pumpkins on the front porch with her porch light on. No real way of preventing people from taking more than one, but it seemed to work just fine.

Ah, my house doesn't run to a Porch (or a Ferrari).  Not even a path or a pavement (sidewalk)  

Just being outside, sitting, might be viable if the weather is acceptable.

When I used to go out for Halloween, some of the houses just left a huge bowl of candy outside their doors, one with a sign saying something like "on the honor system" (I don't remember exactly, but it was the gyst).  Like hagar said, it doesn't prevent people from taking more than their share, but it seemed to work out too.

Yes, you can tell the kids who were born to be JCB (excavator) drivers.

Chris

There are really two kinds of trick or treater's,  the small kids led around by their parents who really don't have a clue, then there are the older kids who are out with just their friends.  The young ones don't really get what's going on and the older ones are executing a mission worthy of Seal team 6 to get as much candy as quickly as possible.  The only ones who really notice your decorations are the adults and adults should be satisfied with New Year's Eve and leave Halloween to the kids.  So don't sweat it, if worse comes to worse, just leave a big bowl of candy in front of your door with the porch light on, the kids will sort things out.

I have an idea:

• If the weather permits it, dress like a scarecrow and lay in a reclining lawn or beach chair with a bowl full of candy.
  • Pretend you are a real scarecrow with a sign by the chair that says please only take one candy.
  • When the children go to take a piece, sit up.

I might be fun for you & your neighbors :)

I have an idea:

• If the weather permits it, dress like a scarecrow and lay in a reclining lawn or beach chair with a bowl full of candy.
  • Pretend you are a real scarecrow with a sign by the chair that says please only take one candy.
  • When the children go to take a piece, sit up.

I might be fun for you & your neighbors :)

I like this idea!

yea i do the scarecrow thing every year. its loads of fun, I recomend something that you can make a little noise with. I have a clear bucket with fake eyes in it. it makes a weird bubbling noise when i lightly shake it. It helps if you wait till they are near you and then make the noise. It builds suspense

Cheap and easy...

(Rommel's dictum has been doing overtime these last couple of years, 

"If you have a difficult job to do, give it to a lazy man.  He will find an easy way to do it".)

Only its now more of "...man with a very tight energy budget."

Chris