CrazyBoards.org

Anxiety in overdrive

I'm in one of those situations where I have plenty of reason to be anxious - my husband was just diagnosed with cancer. Today I found out an old friend just died.

My anxiety is in overdrive. I have klonopin, and I took half a dose, but it will just put me to sleep. I've been on the edge of tears for days. I just feel like I'm waiting for the next awful thing.

I'd love any and all strategies you have for getting through the day to day. I can't even begin to imagine enjoying life.

Support. Whether from family or friends, or even coworkers (or even online). Have you looked for local groups in your area? Online groups (like CB) are very supportive, but it helps having people local.

As well, as someone unbiased to talk to. Do you have a therapist? If not, it would be a good idea to talk to someone who is not in the same, or similar situation that you are.

It is helpful to also take time for yourself. Doing something that keeps your hands & mind busy that you love to do, can be very beneficial. Many of times, my favorite hobby has saved me. It helps both mind & body relax and relieve stress.

The biggest thing, is to take it day by day. When in a severe state of anxiety & stress (as well as depression), it is important to not overwhelm yourself.

You are going through very difficult organic & situational stress. It is okay to take a time out, and take a few breaths when needed.

Good luck to you, my sympathy goes out to you & your husband.

I'm sorry to hear about your husband and friend.

Support. Whether from family or friends, or even coworkers (or even online). Have you looked for local groups in your area? Online groups (like CB) are very supportive, but it helps having people local.

As well, as someone unbiased to talk to. Do you have a therapist? If not, it would be a good idea to talk to someone who is not in the same, or similar situation that you are.

It is helpful to also take time for yourself. Doing something that keeps your hands & mind busy that you love to do, can be very beneficial. Many of times, my favorite hobby has saved me. It helps both mind & body relax and relieve stress.

The biggest thing, is to take it day by day. When in a severe state of anxiety & stress (as well as depression), it is important to not overwhelm yourself.

You are going through very difficult organic & situational stress. It is okay to take a time out, and take a few breaths when needed.

Good luck to you, my sympathy goes out to you & your husband.

^I agree.

I'm very sorry to hear about your husband and the loss of your friend.

the girl had some great suggestions.  Definitely keep in touch with/go out with friends.  See your therapist and practice good self-care.

One thing I like to do is passive muscle relaxation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcjTF5BxKdo&noredirect=1.  It helps to quiet my mind.

If klonopin is making you sleepy, perhaps you ask your pdoc to switch you to a different benzo that might not make you as tired.

You are doing the right thing. I am sorry to hear about your husband and friend. 

For me, medication and therapy helps/helped me get through tough times. One seemed to work from the bottom up, the other the top down.

How much Latuda are you on? Maybe you need a little dose increase to deal with the stress so you don't have that biting anxiety. 

Is your sleep ok? Make sure you getting plenty of it, because stress robs you of sleep, and sleep robs you of being able to deal.

I found klonopin was a downer for me- I agree with the above poster- maybe a different benzo and a med tweak to help you get through the rough times?

I hope you find some solace soon. Keep us posted!