CrazyBoards.org

I have such immense concentration problems. It has been suggested before that I get tested to see if I have ADD. Multiple times in fact. But everyone has said I need to be stable enough to accurately be tested for ADD. I really feel that I have this and have had it since I was a child. I spaced out so much in school. Luckily I studied hard and even though it took me several hours longer to read a chapter in a book than my peers, I persevered and got through it. School and grades were very important to me and I excelled in school despite my issues.

I can't even concentrate on a half hour TV program. WTF? I'm constantly moving and going and doing something else when I just started doing another thing.

I lose things constantly. ("Where the hell is my phone again!?" "My keys?!" etc.)

Am I out of line to ask to be tested for ADD by my pdoc (or whomever tests for ADD these days)?

I guess I just don't know what to do. I'm nervous and need some validation I guess?!

I hope I am taken seriously when I bring it up. I don't want to sound like I'm a hypochondriac or something. I have legitimately been told I probably have ADD and needed to be tested for it before though. IDK!!!!!!!!

If anything, I would bring up that you are still having severe ADD symptoms to your pdoc. If he believes it is worth looking into a diagnosis, he should be able to give you a referral to a psychologist who specializes in ADD and similar disorders.

As said, when you have multiple issues it is hard to tell what is what. Especially when you have a mood or psychotic disorder, considering the symptoms can overlap.

Also an option is to postpone trying to get diagnosed, and instead treat the symptoms with a treatment that is suitable to you (depending on your stability) that your doctor is comfortable with.

It may or may not be actual ADD. But I bet your pdoc would agree that you can have attention & concentration problems with Schizoaffective disorder, that need to be addressed just as much as if you had ADD.