CrazyBoards.org

Rediagnosed as ADHD. Meth addict. No stimulants allowed.

They have started me on stratera, which seems to do nothing.

I can't handle having all these multiple disorders. I never know what I am trying to treat, and how to do so.

I am still just very impatient, all over the place, and my mind seems to do it's own things flipping channels as it pleases. I can't stay on topic. I can't focus. I listen poorly at times. It affects my social life, it affects my work, it affects my family. I feel terrible.

You have a lot going on, EelAmme.

At a point in my life, I was diagnosed with many disorders & was on many medications like yourself. And what you posted reminded me of myself. I honestly don't know much about you or your situation, and I'm a bit stressed myself so please excuse any of my misinterpretations.

When treating my own ADHD while dealing with depression, anxiety, & even psychosis is practically impossible and no medication (even stimulants) would help it.

Just my own way of thinking & experience: I had to be stable with my bipolar & anxiety for any kind of treatment (besides changing diet, sleeping habits, and other techniques).

EDIT I just read on a different thread of yours that you are recovering from meth psychosis. So I definitely stand on the bolded text.

----------------------------------------------

As for non-stimulant ways to treat ADHD, there are a lot of techniques out there. A lot of them include some of what I mentioned like diet change (watching your sugar, caffeine, artificial food intake), calming techniques, different life techniques (like doing a single small task at work, then moving on to a different small task or during large tasks take short breaks), as well as changing bad sleeping habits (sleep hygiene).

That's all I can remember right now, but if you Google "non medication treatments for ADHD" a lot of stuff will pop up. Some things are pretty crazy, but depending from person to person treatment differs.

Edited by the girl

Mentioning amphetamine abuse to a doctor that you want to prescribe you stimulants is going to cause you problems. I'm all for honesty, but maybe you can approach a different pdoc once your psychotic situation is resolved. Strattera had pretty bad side effects for me, stimulants are typically a better treatment for ADHD unfortunately.

Mentioning amphetamine abuse to a doctor that you want to prescribe you stimulants is going to cause you problems. I'm all for honesty, but maybe you can approach a different pdoc once your psychotic situation is resolved. Strattera had pretty bad side effects for me, stimulants are typically a better treatment for ADHD unfortunately.

Uh...no. Definitely not.

For one, the OP has abused methamphetamines, what part of encouraging her to lie to a doctor to get more amphetamines sounds like a good idea to you?

And second, because stimulants are the most "go-to" therapy, it does not mean by any standards it is the better treatment.

In actuality, people with ADHD react differently to different treatments. And with many of us with ADHD, the best treatment is non-stimulant solutions like other medication classes & therapy, as well as lifestyle techniques. Especially for those of us who have other disorders that have a possibility of mania or psychosis (to which stimulants are bad news for).

I am usually a good player here at CB, but what you posted pseudopod is not only unethical but also dangerous.

I'm not sure what dose of Strattera you're taking, but be patient with it. It can take some time to work up to an effective dose and it can take some time for the benefits to become apparent after you've reached an effective dose. For a frame of reference the target dose for adults is 80mg/day and the maximum is 100mg/day. So once you reach 80, it might still take another 4 weeks to see an effect.

Personally, Strattera had too many side-effects for me and I never reached the target dose. Some people do well on it, though. I do take a stimulant, despite a history of drug abuse (including meth). Basically my pdoc was okay with it, as long as the drug use wasn't current. I wouldn't know how to catch a buzz off Concerta, it can't be crushed and snorted like Ritalin (I struggled with that) and it releases too slowly when you take it orally to cause much of a high. I believe Vyvanse is similarly low on abuse potential.

So what I'm saying is give Strattera a really fair trial, but don't despair that if it doesn't work you won't have other options. Another thing to keep in mind is that after quitting meth, your ADHD symptoms will be much worse as a result of the withdrawal. It's difficult to tease out what's what. Just remember a lot of what you're experiencing now is probably withdrawal and will pass. 

I am not going to get into an argument here, but self medication is fairly common in people with ADHD. Even with drugs as destructive as meth. This should not preclude effective treatment in the future as long as they don't abuse their meds. I believe it is unethical to deny any hope of treatment for someone because of a past mistake they have learned from.

I am not going to get into an argument here, but self medication is fairly common in people with ADHD. Even with drugs as destructive as meth. This should not preclude effective treatment in the future as long as they don't abuse their meds. I believe it is unethical to deny any hope of treatment for someone because of a past mistake they have learned from.

Your posts are both outrageous and clueless. Addiction is not a "mistake" -- it's a very serious disease from which a huge percentage never recover. So this isn't about punishment, this is about taking the risk seriously. The glaring risk of relapse for someone who's lucky enough to be in recovery. I have ADD and I would take it any day of the week over an active addiction.

Honestly - you might as well tell Eel not to mention heart disease to their doctor either, because, hell, that might screw up your chances of getting stimulants too.

EelAmme, give Strattera a chance. And also consider the possibility that some of your symptoms may be part of the recovery from meth addiction. A lack of focus and other symptoms can last up to a year after you quit. It takes a while for the brain to reach equilibrium.

EelAmme - you've been given some sound advice wrt what you can do to help yourself in ways other than medication. You really should give Stratera a chance to work. It may not be the answer for you but as with any medication, you should give it a good trial before discarding it as an option. 

The thing about ADHD and stimulants when you are also dealing with addiction gets tricky. Common sense would say that if you have an addiction to a stimulating drug such as cocaine, giving you medication to treat the ADHD would be a mistake. However, in this case, it appears that the mistake would actually be in not treating the ADHD. There are things that the pdoc can do to decrease the chances of a stimulant being abused if that is a concern.

• Giving only a weeks worth of meds at a time.
  • Using a med like Concerta, which cannot be abused as easily.
  • Letting someone else hold the medication, give it once daily, and then do an inspection of the mouth.

I know some of these may be rather intrusive but the thing is, sometimes you've got to do it in order to build trust. With addiction to any medication or substance, the trust between you and your family and doctor is broken. Anything you can do that will aid in building back the trust (like submitting to mouth checks) is something you'll just have to do.

I've done some research on this because of what is going on in my own family. I've talked with health care professionals at Duke as well. From what I'm seeing and hearing and experiencing, it appears that the outcome is significantly better if you treat the ADHD and substance abuse at the same time. One of the major symptoms of ADHD is impulsive behavior. Treating the ADHD cuts down on the impulsive behavior and therefore cuts down on the incidence of substance abuse.

I'm going to list some links that you may want to read and possibly share with your pdoc.  

Meetings such as NA might help. If you've never been to an NA meeting, give it a try. I've found the people at NA are much easier to talk to and they seem to cut through the BS and get straight to the core of the addiction. So, try it if you can. I seem to recall that transportation was a problem for you in the past. At the NA meetings around here, you can call and usually find someone willing to give you a ride. This site is very helpful in finding a meeting http://www.na.org/.

I hope your recovery goes well.

I am someone who had a previous stimulant/amphetamine addiction, has admitted it up-front to my pdoc, and am being treated for my ADHD with stimulants.

I suspect part of it is that my stimulant addiction was many years ago.

Syl's post is pretty golden about potential ways to work out stimulant treatment for ADHD while still in the process of battling/overcoming a stimulant addiction.

I found that my other stuff had to be at least mostly medicated first before we could get to the ADHD meds.  The possibility of stimulant psychosis does exist for me, I've had a very minor taste of that some ten years ago or so, not to mention the potential of me flipping hypo/manic.  I'm not on an A/AP but I am on a mood stabilizer and I have an AAP for PRN use in case of mostly hypo/mania (my dose limit is too low to hit any AP action anyway.)

I take what many (not all but many) consider to be a rather massive dose of my stimulant but I experience no issues with psychosis, hypo/mania (though I am taken off of it if I have a breakthrough hypo episode,) or improper/recreational/addictive use.  I stick with it.  But I'm pretty resolute like that and I am trusted with large amounts of my prescription at a time.  If this would only serve as temptation for you, and it's important to be honest with yourself and your doc on that one, like I said syl has some really good points on how to potentially still work around with that.  Not treating my ADHD can lead to some serious issues including depression and increased anxiety.  In fact pdoc and I have discussed how my stimulant treatment is likely also part of my antidepressant treatment (though for me the divalproex also really helps with that.)

I've had docs turn me down for an ADHD diagnosis let alone treatment strictly because I was honest about my past drug abuse (which includes far more than stimulants.)  I still really do not advise finding a new doc and lying about your drug abuse history.  There are docs out there who're willing to work with ADHD sufferers who have an addiction history, stimulants or otherwise, their methods may differ and of course your own needs are going to differ.  But they are not ever going to be able to properly treat you and help monitor you if you aren't up front and honest with them.  You need to find a doc, easier said than done I know, who you can build a trusting relationship with.  One who listens to you and takes your concerns seriously, but is still The Professional and whom you respect enough to take their instructions seriously.

Oh and, from what I learned in my last IP stay, while Concerta may not be able to be abused as easily as some other stimulant medications, I've definitely encountered a lot of people who find ways to abuse it anyway.

Syl's also bang-on about treating the ADHD & addiction issues together, impulse control, etc.  Many, many folks with ADHD who self medicated with recreational drugs, including stimulants, do far better once their ADHD is being properly treated.

Edited by Mirazh

I don't know where I stand. I know I was self medicating, but if given ritalin or adderall I fear I may overdose myself and abuse it. I don't think I would. but I didn't think I'd ever get addicted to meth, either, and I still did. My pdoc in treatment kept telling me that I'd abuse a stimulant. And I am starting to believe him. Although it'd be nice to build up trust with a new pdoc, which I have to find anyways because mine is quitting. I'd like to try a stimulant one day, perhaps once I am further into recover, given I can find a doctor willing to work with me. I know that my reasons for using were all self medication of mental disorders. And I'd be much less likely to use if they treated ALL of them. i am willing to give strattera a chance, but I can't even get it right now because my insurance denied coverage once I left treatment. So I have to get a doctor to fax info to my insurance, and blah di blah. Oh, the hoops I've had to jump through just to get medication once I got out of treatment. It's a bitch. I don't know what I'd do without minnesotacare. 

Honestly, everything I've ever read, including some of the links provided by Sylvan, discourage the use of stimulants for anyone who has recently been using. And you've been in recovery for only a month which is a very short time. Here's another good article

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21483267

Add to that that you have four other diagnoses which would discourage the use of stimulants - a recent florid psychosis, bipolar and two anxiety disorders, I'm glad you're listening to your doctor.

I was given ritalin for my ADHD.....It turned out to be a mistake even tho I know the methylphenidate is not what cause the rise in psychotic symptoms.....My doctor was open to the idea and prolly still is......We just have to work on what is most challenging and thats my psychosis. I'm not even in school or need a performance enhancing drug for anything ATM. I have no job.....I was wanting it because inside my heart I wanted to abuse it......Sometimes we can't even see how we even deceive ourselves.

Like others have said, a lot is going on. You just got out of rehab, you're still coming off of meth. Things don't resolve that quickly, or fix themselves in a month. Adding, subtracting, changing meds isn't going to be an immediate solution. It takes time. You have to change, too. If you don't, a med isn't going to help much. I'm sure you don't want to hear that, but, well, it's not only the meds.

Sorry, didn't see this earlier.

I self-medicated with crack and cocaine for a while before getting my ADD treated.  After it was treated I had zero interest in abusing stimulants again.   Taking stimulants properly "scratched the itch" better than abusing any substance ever did.

Strattera takes for fucking ever to work.  To avoid side effects you need to slowly work yourself up to 40mgs, then 60 then 80.  It can take several months to get to your target dose.

No arguments here I totally agree. What a lot of people do not understand is the amphetamines prescribed for ADHD is no where near the same as methamphetamine! Generally you are started out in very low doses, I read so often people complaining their Adderall is not working for them, and they have to try different amphetamines and doses until they find that sweet spot where you feel more focused but not drugged. The reason doctors are so careful is really more about malpractice insurance then patient safety. Before the malpractice boom doc where prescribing every thing for any thing including morphine! So these days the first hint or clue you ever abused any substance even alcohol, they will not prescribe any schedule 2, 3 or 4 meds. They really don't care if you self medicate, they just will not be connected to it in any way.

Edited by IndieVisible