CrazyBoards.org

Which is better controlled for you, mania or depression?

Medication has *really* helped with my depression. I've had some minor episodes in the last couple of years, but nothing like I experienced before. Lamotrigine, depakote and then adding paroxetine when actually heading downwards have really turned things round for me.

But getting a handle on the mania seems more difficult. I don't know whether part of it is that my illness is progressing and changing over the years, but I have pretty long episodes that seem really resistant to medication. There are signs that I might be heading into one now :sigh: But I find it really hard to tell whether I am just a naturally happy, exuberant person or I am actually in prolonged hypomania. I need to find some better way of differentiating of being stable and balanced and being on an upwards slope towards mania. My last few manias were definitely preceded by periods where I felt really good and energetic and on top of things and thought everything was great and I was "cured" but looking back was making decisions that weren't entirely wise and not sleeping very much.

What's your experience?

It's the opposite for me. Mania well controlled, depression not so much. Basically, with meds, I never get manic, but am still depressed a good deal of the time. Not as bad as without meds, but still not much fun. Sometimes I miss being unmedicated and having at least occasional times where I felt really good, but I know it's not worth it. 

For me lately, as in this year, I have been running more on the manic side of things when I have had BP mood episodes. So lately the depression has been better controlled.

When I first started treatment though I was suicidally depressed for nearly a year. And I was depressed for most of my teen years too when I started having MI problems.

So you can see that it varies so much for me.

And actually I think my moods are starting to get more and more stable. The last two times I landed IP were for psychotic stuff only. My mood was fine. I was just psychotic without a mood episode (hence the SZA diagnosis). So go figure!?

I primarily just get mixed episodes which can be incredibly hard to get under control. A combination of mood stabilizers is what works best for me.  I very,very,very rarely get euphoric mania, so I guess that is controlled. LOL

Frenetic47 that's pretty much me too.

My mania or hypomania in my case is pretty well controlled, but my depression and mixed episodes are not very well controlled right now, despite being on a combo of  prozac, lithium and seroquel xr.

I tend to spend far more time depressed or in a mixed state these days. Am seeing a new shrink soon, so she might have some new ideas.

My depression has responded well to increases in Abilify and Seroquel. The mania is harder to keep at bay in terms of managing sleep and major relapses - although things are looking promising at the moment with no major relapse in almost two years :). My last major depressive episode which lasted six months was in 2005 but since then have had a number of less severe episodes and five manic episodes. So numerically about the same but because of the risk mania carries with psychosis and hospitalisation it feels like the harder one to manage.

My manias are usually better controlled than my depression. Sort of. How to explain!

So, I can sometimes get away with just Cipralex, but eventually my depression breaks through this at which point we have to add on Abilify. Except, the Cipralex-Abilify combo can make me somewhat elevated. We've rolled with it thus far though, I think because my depressions are super risky in the suicidal sense while this med combo has only brought me as high as hypomania at which point we simply strip those two meds until the next depressive episode occurs and we quickly re-add the Cipralex; we haven't found another med combination that effectively deals with the depression. It's a total circle, with depressions being the worrisome one. I sit at two depressions and one hypomanic episode this year, not including my doctor's recent "you might be elevated" because I think he's failing to look at environmental reasons for that elevation (like hi, first home of my own! yay!).

My depression is very well controlled with Effexor and Abilify. My hypomania is well controlled as well, but I did have one hypomania squeak through when I was on 30 mg of Abilify. Then, after that hypomania that squeaked though, I was mildly depressed for a month. So... I guess both of my episodes are well controlled, but they don't completely go away. Medication just reduces the severity of them. 

I think that part of the reason my mania is so much better controled is that I can recognize its approach easily, and I just start eating Seroquel until I can finally fall asleep, and that generally breaks the cycle.

Depression is something else. Depression sneaks up on me, and I've spent so much of my life depressed that I don't register it as an outrageous condition, as something in need of treatment. It just feels natural. And my doctor and I haven't found rescue meds that are nearly as effective.

Seroquel and Lamictal have pretty much eliminated my depression (as does nicotine, but that's another matter). But it was a hard slog to find the right meds for depression.

Mania's much easier. Seroquel, being tranquilizing, smacked that down really fast. Once in a great while I'll take an extra half-Ativan for immediate assistance.

Medication has made both sides of the spectrum much milder and easier to control, but I still have to 'work' to keep from getting either depressed or manic. For depression, in a way that's easier because I don't want to get depressed, and at the moment, I am managing pretty well. In principle, my meds keep the mania at bay, but it is easy to escalate despite the meds, which I have done. Alcohol and slight hypomania for me when mixed are the recipe for disaster.

Though I'd say that meds are for me much better at knocking mania down very efficiently, if I react in time.

I get mixed episodes (which I hate with a passion) but for awhile now my depression has been well controlled. Woot! It's mania/hypomania I've been dealing with. A nice switch actually from dealing with depression (and mixed) the past couple years. My last mixed episode was not nearly as dangerous as the one before it. Whew! Go Haldol, it's your birthday... (*facepalm*)

All it takes to bring me down from mania is a mild dose of an antipsychotic. But what it takes to bring me out of a depression is a severe intake of multiple anti-depressants and a stabalizer.

I HATE depression. It always comes back though, no matter how I try to manage my illness. It always comes back. Its like a ghost that haunts me and tortures me.