CrazyBoards.org

Epic Showdown of the Disagreeing PDocs

Get your tickets, folks.

So, I've been less than happy with my pdoc for a while. She's very nice. I like just talking to her. I wish she could be my tdoc, but she's a PA, so whatever. Anyway, I've felt like she was fishing when it came to my meds. I'd never had an actual diagnosis of bipolar from a doctor, but she carried on medicating me as such when I had bad reactions to ADD meds.

So, I waited it out for a while, and then I went to see a psychiatrist at a different facility just out of curiousity. I expected him to do the intake- I told him the same things I told her- and for him to say, "Yep, you're bipolar. Shut up and take your meds."

Well, that's not what he said. He said he would like to see me again because it's possible things could come up that would make him think differently, but- for now- he gives me my original diagnosis from days of yore: that of MDD and ADD. And he wants to change all my meds. He says it's my choice, but he feels that the latuda is inappropriate.

I wasn't expecting that. I can see why both of them have made the diagnosis they did. People who know me and are very close to me (like my husband) tend to agree with the MDD/ADD diagnosis, though.

So, do I quit my other meds and do what this guy says after one visit? He also wants me to take seroquel, which I really don't want to take, but he's very concerned about my sleep and wants to see if things improve if that is corrected. I'm afraid that both seroquel and neurontin will knock me on my ass. Wants me to quit the Latuda and take a low dose of lexapro. I can pick that up today, if I want. I'm just a little confused about it right now.

Edited by girlwiththefarawayeyes

It's a gamble. I suppose that, while it's understandable to want a pdoc to offer a treatment you feel comfy with, you have to assess whether you can work with this pdoc. Can you be honest, is he honest, do your styles of communication match? How did you feel about his manner? What is his background, training and what experience does he have?

I'd factor in his payment procedures and how to handle any problems (change of meds, emergency crisis access, billing issues etc) and whether or not you can easily get to the office and deal with the receptionist staff. 

He seems to have a treatment plan in mind, how does he see that playing out, does he have a plan B if it doesn't work?

It is really great to hear what you intuitively feel, don't knock that. But how is it going to feel when you guys disagree?

That's the other thing...what is this mysterious thing called a treatment plan that all the kids are raving about? I don't have one with the old/ first pdoc and tdoc. I think their plan was to try and stablize me on meds and then go from there, but they've never managed to stablize me. Hence my frustration and seeking another opinion.

I guess I got a little bit of a smug vibe off of this dr yesterday, but he'd only be in my life for med management. He did- without my prodding- zero in on two things that I've always thought were issues, but the previous people never paid much attention to, and one of them was the sleep issue.

Different dr's have their pet issues, I suppose. I used to see a tdoc with the first facility who I felt read a book on bipolar once and then decided everyone she met was bipolar. I quit seeing her (she did something else that pissed me off), and went to another tdoc. I like him, still seeing him, and he agrees with the bipolar thing. This new facility, clearly their thing is sleep.

I guess what I mulling over is: did I find someone who shares my concerns or did I find someone who is telling me what I want to hear?

It's tough cos MI can affect insight and self awareness. It's also true that we all want whatever cure possible as fast as possible and to have to least about of instability we have to suffer. Part of a pdocs job is to realistically manage those expectations and support us when that doesn't happen as hoped. 

I don't know how helpful I can be, I am in England so I got assigned a pdoc in 2006 and was not given the option to change, so I have had to find a way to work well with him, though he is a very good pdoc. The upside of that has been he has been honest and reflected back my bullshit. The downside is we have disagreed and had to stick around to resolve it. If I were paying directly for my care, I might be choosier, but what I see on CB is a very high expectations of members pdocs and often a very casual, personal dynamic that I personally don't feel does people a lot of good in some cases. My pdoc may be conservative and old fashioned, but the boundaries are there and that has resulted in trust. I think the subjective manner some members choose a pdoc actually means they spend years between pdocs, not resolving conflicts and trying to find a pdoc that won't upset or offend them. I could be talking out of my ass, but the role of pdoc includes offending people sometimes for good reasons. 

Just my view.

I think I am willing to tolerate more "personality quarks" in a pdoc than I am in a tdoc. Here (very, very rural US), my contact with a pdoc will be minimal. With this one, it will be more minimal because it's a university system, and I will usually see the resident medical student. I was interested in why he came to the conclusion that he did. If I had to see him for an hour once a month, I think he and I would come to blows personality-wise. :) After this next visit, I will see this guy for 15 minutes a pop every few months, so we don't have to love one another. And I don't have to love him to respect his opinion.

I think I will look forward to this next visit, too. Like he said, he hasn't totally made up his mind about me. I guess I haven't about him either.