CrazyBoards.org

I am planning to leave all my meds and try yoga

Please don't.

That seems a pretty sure way to crash and burn hard.

There's no reason you can't do yoga AND meds. Or at least working with your providers to find meds that are more weight neutral.

The research I've found so far about, in particular, atypical antipsychotic induced weight gain, suggest food logging and metformin are two helpful interventions. And food logging seems to be as effective as metformin when placed head to head.

What meds do you think are to blame for the weight gain?  

There have been some members on here who've successfully lost the weight they've gained from meds by diet, exercise and possibly switching to a more weight neutral med.

I do not think yoga can always help enough, and then what happens when you are too ill to even do yoga?

risperidone and venlafaxine, those i took for like 7 years, and now i changed to valporic acid and quetiapine and still gained 10 kilos, and my last docs said none of these meds make u gain weight, before starting with meds i was very slim. They treat me as if I am stupid. She said olanzapine is the only med that can make you gain so much weight.

Okaaay.

I started my psych treatment with Olanzapine, gained 30 pounds, fast. I also spent time on valporic acid, which also made me gain a little, and years on risperidone. I know what it is is like to gain a huge amount of weight on a slim frame in a few months to a year and then have doctors tell me it is just that I am a lazy overeater.

BUT

The facts are: many people of all sizes and metabolisms gain weight on psych meds. There are no predictable outcomes for any med with weight gain. I have known people lose weight on the same meds as me. No one knows in advance how a med will affect their weight.

ALSO

Being mentally ill can create other factors that tend to increase the chances of weight gain THAT HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH WILLPOWER. For example, not moving around as much, staying home more, comfort eating, turning to convenience food as too ill to cook, not eating enough due to self neglect, increase in alcohol consumption etc. None of these are things people tend to choose to do knowing they contribute to weight gain. The illness creates those conditions.

In 2012, between May and October, I lost 2 stone (30 pounds) and kept it off for a year. I am now losing two more stone. I did that whilst on that medication. It is true that psych meds can affect metabolism and insulin processes and cause hunger cravings. It is true that most conventional profiting diets are unsustainable for us all, crazy or sane. And trying to eat healthy and exercise is a slow process that people with mental illness struggle with.

While all physical movement is good, you need to raise your heart rate to burn fat. And while yoga is great for toning and relaxation and building muscle (all of which are good for your health) you're not going to drop any real weight from yoga unless you do it all day, tutor style. And if coming off your meds means you get very ill, stop being able to look after your health and nutrition, guess what? The weight will get worse. What I would do, and have done, is reduce the meds that it is safe to reduce dosages of, find a supportive and healthy weight loss group and start walking every day.

I think you might be doing this because you feel angry and unheard by your doctors and unhappy about your MI and your weight. Fair play, I respect that. But dropping all your meds will not end well.

Edited by Titania

Okaaay.

I started my psych treatment with Olanzapine, gained 30 pounds, fast. I also spent time on valporic acid, which also made me gain a little, and years on risperidone. I know what it is is like to gain a huge amount of weight on a slim frame in a few months to a year and then have doctors tell me it is just that I am a lazy overeater.

BUT

The facts are: many people of all sizes and metabolisms gain weight on psych meds. There are no predictable outcomes for any med with weight gain. I have known people lose weight on the same meds as me. No one knows in advance how a med will affect their weight.

ALSO

Being mentally ill can create other factors that tend to increase the chances of weight gain THAT HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH WILLPOWER. For example, not moving around as much, staying home more, comfort eating, turning to convenience food as too ill to cook, not eating enough due to self neglect, increase in alcohol consumption etc. None of these are things people tend to choose to do knowing they contribute to weight gain. The illness creates those conditions.

In 2012, between May and October, I lost 2 stone (30 pounds) and kept it off for a year. I am now losing two more stone. I did that whilst on that medication. It is true that psych meds can affect metabolism and insulin processes and cause hunger cravings. It is true that most conventional profiting diets are unsustainable for us all, crazy or sane. And trying to eat healthy and exercise is a slow process that people with mental illness struggle with.

While all physical movement is good, you need to raise your heart rate to burn fat. And while yoga is great for toning and relaxation and building muscle (all of which are good for your health) you're not going to drop any real weight from yoga unless you do it all day, tutor style. And if coming off your meds means you get very ill, stop being able to look after your health and nutrition, guess what? The weight will get worse. What I would do, and have done, is reduce the meds that it is safe to reduce dosages of, find a supportive and healthy weight loss group and start walking every day.

I think you might be doing this because you feel angry and unheard by your doctors and unhappy about your MI and your weight. Fair play, I respect that. But dropping all your meds will not end well.

You are right, I am really angry now, maybe i should wait and do some more thinking, I went to see and endocrinologist and took a blood sample and still need to show her, also will start walking and dieting as soon as i have the money to buy the igredients, it just seem such a long process and sometimes i am too anxious to even leave the house.

Losing weight is a long, gruelling, boring game when life is already hard cos of MI. But be kind to yourself. If weight can go on your body, it can also come off. And all weight loss is creating the kind of conditions to make weight come off. Which means you can do it. I believe that you can.

Would it help if we created a diet and healthy eating thread to share how people with MI find ways to lose weight that works?

• Like 1

Losing weight is a long, gruelling, boring game when life is already hard cos of MI. But be kind to yourself. If weight can go on your body, it can also come off. And all weight loss is creating the kind of conditions to make weight come off. Which means you can do it. I believe that you can.

Would it help if we created a diet and healthy eating thread to share how people with MI find ways to lose weight that works?

that would be awsome if we could share what works for us

• Like 1

Dolores:

Metformin can help lose the weight caused by antipsychotics. The first time I took it it helped a lot. I am not as overweight as I was before.

I suggested that to my doctor and she said that that could induce me into a comma, unless i have the polyquistic syndrome, these doctors think we dont read or we are stupid

metformin??? wth.  Maybe glipizide or amaryl but not metformin. To my knowledge, metformin is the drug that doesn't cause really low blood sugars.  Your doctor is likely thinking of those drugs.  This is the pdoc, right?  He/she might not be familiar with diabetes medication.

I'm sorry you've gained weight, I have too.  I gained a huge amount on Zyprexa and also Seroquel only to have the doctors tell me it wasn't the meds.  They're so funny.

I've been exercising and taking my meds (Latuda) and though I've lost some weight I've lost more in inches.

I lost about 30 pounds/13.6 kg from taking Metformin for about 3 months.

metformin??? wth.  Maybe glipizide or amaryl but not metformin. To my knowledge, metformin is the drug that doesn't cause really low blood sugars.  Your doctor is likely thinking of those drugs.  This is the pdoc, right?  He/she might not be familiar with diabetes medication.

Thats what i tough, she is a pdoc and doesnt know about metformin

One of the things that I found helpful when I was too anxious to leave the house was "Walk at Home" videos on youtube by Leslie Sansone. They are a series of low-impact aerobics that helped me "get my sweat on" even when I didn't feel like I could safely be outside.

• Like 1

One of the things that I found helpful when I was too anxious to leave the house was "Walk at Home" videos on youtube by Leslie Sansone. They are a series of low-impact aerobics that helped me "get my sweat on" even when I didn't feel like I could safely be outside.

great advise!!!

The meds you take can definitely cause weight gain.  I gained quite a bit of weight on Risperidone.

I just switched to Latuda... have you tried it?  I think it is a fairly weight neutral AAP.

I dont know if we have Latuda in my country but will ask