CrazyBoards.org

Anyone manages withouth any meds?

I really wouldn't encourage it. I know how shitty it can sometimes be having to take meds. I have tried to go without them before, and each time ended in disaster. Yoga and exercise may be beneficial, in addition to meds, but they're hardly capable of managing a major mood disorder like BP on their own. Whatever you choose to do, I wish you the best of luck, but I would suggest you be very cautious and talk with your doctors about your concerns before making any big decisions regarding your medications. 

I really wouldn't encourage it. I know how shitty it can sometimes be having to take meds. I have tried to go without them before, and each time ended in disaster. Yoga and exercise may be beneficial, in addition to meds, but they're hardly capable of managing a major mood disorder like BP on their own. Whatever you choose to do, I wish you the best of luck, but I would suggest you be very cautious and talk with your doctors about your concerns before making any big decisions regarding your medications. 

I am just so mad about my weight and the doctors treating as if I was stupid.

Doctors can be oblivious assholes sometimes. If they're so sure your meds can't cause weight gain, perhaps you could print off some information from official websites that clearly list "weight gain" or "weight changes" as a possible side effect for almost every med you mentioned in your other post:

Risperidone: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a694015.html#side-effects

Valproic acid: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a682412.html#side-effects

Quetiapine: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a698019.html#side-effects

Doctors can be oblivious assholes sometimes. If they're so sure your meds can't cause weight gain, perhaps you could print off some information from official websites that clearly list "weight gain" or "weight changes" as a possible side effect for almost every med you mentioned in your other post:

Risperidone: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a694015.html#side-effects

Valproic acid: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a682412.html#side-effects

Quetiapine: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a698019.html#side-effects

Maybe I will, in my country we speak spanish so, will try to look for some info in Spanish

i'm not going to advocate for or against meds, just answer your question. yes, i manage without any psych meds. i do yoga; have a very supportive partner; have regular tdoc appointments; try to eat well (for me that's rather vegetarian/vegan (dairy and egg allergy) and somewhat raw); journal; weave/knit. in other words, i have a good list of coping skills/activities and a good support network of ppl. it's taken me 10+ years to find a good balance. in times of bad psychosis i will take meds to break the cycle and for a brief period. i also do a few herbal supplements and vitamins that are specific to my body's needs (please don't ask me to recommend any). once again, i'm not advocating for or against psych med use. this is an issue best discussed amongst one's support team. i'm definitely no medical, traditional or alternative, expert.

i'm not going to advocate for or against meds, just answer your question. yes, i manage without any psych meds. i do yoga; have a very supportive partner; have regular tdoc appointments; try to eat well (for me that's rather vegetarian/vegan (dairy and egg allergy) and somewhat raw); journal; weave/knit. in other words, i have a good list of coping skills/activities and a good support network of ppl. it's taken me 10+ years to find a good balance. in times of bad psychosis i will take meds to break the cycle and for a brief period. i also do a few herbal supplements and vitamins that are specific to my body's needs (please don't ask me to recommend any). once again, i'm not advocating for or against psych med use. this is an issue best discussed amongst one's support team. i'm definitely no medical, traditional or alternative, expert.

That is my goal, that in the future I would be able to manage without the meds.

Over the years, I have had successful treatment and gotten to the point where I manage most of the time successfully without medications.

I have a service dog who has replaced a lot of medications.

This year, for the first time in 2.5 years, we are trying a low dose of wellbutrin to see if it helps me manage seasonal depressive symptoms better.

It is possible with support from your team and people in your life who want you to do well.

And I think you'll have better success if you get to a place of stability with meds first, then make a concerted plan to decrease them slowly over a planned period of time.

ETA: Sorry... I didn't realize this was in the bipolar forum when I responded. My "stuff" is mostly PTSD with some flavors of OCD.

I went off effexor in April of this year and almosted committed myself a dozen times. I am currently at my 3rd pregnancy weight about 50lbs over weight and couldnt care less about it when my mind is suffering so, I have struggled TERRIBLY!!!

I am going back on a low dose next week.

There is a lot of wise people here with valuable advice. Best of luck to you..

I managed- sort of- for 34 years without meds. Then tried a huge variety for nine years, with some success the last couple of years. In that I was not constantly cycling or psychotic, but I had flat affect, some physical health problems, cognitive deficits and the beginnings of TD. Had to stop them quickly, though not cold turkey, with the assistance of my pdoc late last spring. I've been managing with PRN meds (an AP & benzos) since then, but it's been very rough sometimes. The worst part is that, without lithium, my suicidality has come back. The psychotic Sx the AP helps with, and it helps with sleep issues, mania and some anxiety (as does the benzo), but the suicidal thoughts in response to stress require a lot of mindfulness and work to overcome.

The only, and I mean the ONLY reason I take my meds, is that because life is a little less hellish without them.  If you can get by without meds, you are in a place (psychologically) that is so much better than almost anyone on this site.  Almost all of us are "lifers" when it comes to meds.  I don't think anyone here is particularly thrilled about taking their meds or all the crap that comes with it.  If you can go without meds and your life doesn't go straight to hell, good for you, just excuse me while I try to restrain from making a snarky remark about luck.  

As far as yoga goes, I don't see why you can't start the exercise thing right now, why wait on the meds (or blame them).

ONe piece of advice, if you do go off the meds, have an emergency plan in place that would activate if you crash and burn and need to immediate get back on them.  

I can't really answer your question as you asked it but I think if you discussed this idea and the reasons why with your pdoc that might motivate them to offer you less expensive, less fattening meds. There are certainly are options there. lithium is dirt cheap and much less weight gain, Lamictal and Tegretol are weight neutral and not super expensive. Typical antipsychotics are also cheap and cause much less weight gain than the modern variety.

My advice is to do minimal medication, rather than zero medication, and see if that works for you. See if your pdoc can suggest one that fits your criteria and just take that and use yoga and meditation etc in combination.

I don't know how bipolar manifests for you but for me I need at minimum some kind of stabiliser to prevent mania. Something to take care of the biological side. It's perfectly understandable that you are unhappy with your treatment but I think that's a reason to find a med that fits you better. They won't all put weight on you, they aren't all expensive.

It sounds to me like the real problem here is that your pdoc doesn't listen to you. Work out whether they are willing to start listening to your concerns and providing solutions and if not, find a new doctor.

When people go off meds and become unwell it can take years to get back to where they were. Don't make this decision lightly.

I would love to be able to say that I have been able to manage without meds, but unfortunately, I have to say that I have not. I was recently off my meds for over a year, the longest I've ever been off of them. I just stopped them, didn't tell the doctor, nothing. I was "sick of the chemicals in my body". I did lose a little weight, but not too much. And then I began to spiral. My insomnia worsened and by the time I realized what a mistake I'd made, I was so depressed and out of whack and I began to self-harm again and there have been many instances recently where I really should have gone to the hospital, but I didn't. My Bipolar mood crap began to aggravate my personality disorder. And once I tried to get back to a doctor, I had to wait many months for an appointment. But even after a couple months back on meds, things were still heading south, and I did over a month in a partial care program, and now I'm still in the program but on a stepped down level. As recently as Wednesday, I was ready to kill myself and last night I was getting manic. I understand your frustration, I'm so out of shape and it makes me upset that the meds contribute to it. And I'll be completely honest, I was also ready to ditch one of my meds a few days ago. Everyone is different, for sure, but for me, every time I've stopped my meds, it's ended poorly.

No meds = a batshit crazy cheese. Not cool.

Hell I even get batshit once and a while when I'm on the darn meds! I still have symptoms and will be on them for life, unfortunately.

I don't enjoy taking so many meds, but without them my life becomes hell on earth. And like I said, even with meds I still go through a lot of crap daily.

Good luck. And like others have said, don't make this decision lightly or impulsively.

I've been practicing yoga for 15 years and now I teach too. It helps but NO WAY is it a substitute for meds. I practice 3-4 times a week and I WISH that would be enough. I totally relate to wanting to chuck it all, get rid of all the pills with their various side effects (not horrible, but for me they are always there).

While I think it would be possible for some people to go med-free, I'd say odds are good they'll be back. That's what I tell myself because I HATE taking meds and I miss the highs. I feel as if all the edges have been sanded off my personality and everything is blunted and dulled. Even so, I advocate staying on meds because it would be even worse without them.

I wish I could not be on meds. I don't think a single person here who is on meds, loves them or wants to be on them, but we have to. I reallllly do not think that it is 100% in the long-run, possible to be bipolar and not on medication. Yoga, supplements, lifestyle, exercise, doesn't matter. it is an illness. It will rear its ugly head eventually, no matter how well the person tries to balance it without psychiatric medication. Even my mother, who is on just 100mg of Lamictal, and has been major-episode-free for the past 19 YEARS still takes that one medication (and boy when she has full-blown episodes WATCH OUT - they are major). Somehow she has been able to stave off major episodes. She still has minor ones that are kept in-check by the lamictal, but she's a good example here of a person who takes one stabalizer medication and it works for her just fine.

Each person is completely different, and will need, as a result, their own combination of medications that will work for them. Physiology is very complicated, so what works for one person, might not work for another. So just because someone purports to be med-free, bipolar, and highly successful for long periods of time, doesn't mean you will be, too. On the same token, just because someone says they are on 8 medications, bipolar, and highly successful doesn't mean you shoudl be on the same 8 medications they are on to get the same results.

Trial and error. Thats the way it just is, with this illness.

i do wish you the best of luck with whatever you choose to do, fellow human being :-)