CrazyBoards.org

Overweight and Bulimic

jdz

I'm fat and bulimic. People seem shocked when they find out and I feel like my Dr doesn't take me seriously. Is there anyone out there like me?

It's been months since the last time I purged. I stopped cold turkey but I'm still binging and I've gained a lot of weight. I've been bulimic for 20 years.

I'm not sure how to bring this up with my Dr. I told her the weight I've gained and she said she wasn't concerned and that my mental health was more important. I think that my food issues are a huge contributing factor to the way I feel. I also worry that my eating habits are going to negatively effect the lithium I am taking. She knows I'm bulimic but it just doesn't seem to matter.

I guess I'm trying to say I'm fighting to be heard. My weight is so high so I guess I can't be in the "danger zone". It's frustrating. I'm not sure what to say at my next appointment.

Bulimia is dangerous regardless of your weight. It can still lead to bad health problems even if you're not underweight. A lot of people with bulimia are "normal" (hate that word) weight or overweight. It's good that you haven't purged in a while, but I'm a little shocked that your doctor isn't taking it seriously. Do you have a therapist you can talk to about it?

I've been bulimic for years.  In my experience, a good number of general practitioners are not well versed in eating disorders and pay little attention if one is not underweight. 

You might have to search for a doctor who really understands the mental and physical toll bulimia takes.  It is the same miserable and dangerous disorder, no matter what you weigh.  I hope you can find a professional who understands that and supports you.

I don't have a therapist right now. I don't even have a psychiatrist. I have my family doc and I like her a lot but she seems to not take this seriously.

The biggest thing right now is that we've added lithium to the mix. Being dehydrated is dangerous on lithium. So is changing the amount of salt in your diet. So where I'm inclined to restrict/purge and exercise excessively I'm putting myself at risk of lithium toxicity.

I think I'm not pushing the issue hard enough because it is embarrassing. I'm embarrassed of my weight and then adding the ED on top of it makes it worse. :(

Getting a psychiatrist isn't easy where I live. I've seen a few over the past year but they've all been connected to a program and once I was out of it I was without a psychiatrist again. The wait lists are 6 months to a year. I was on one and after waiting 3 months I was told the dr was no longer accepting patients. It looks like I'll be without a dr for a while.

Getting a psychiatrist isn't easy where I live. I've seen a few over the past year but they've all been connected to a program and once I was out of it I was without a psychiatrist again. The wait lists are 6 months to a year. I was on one and after waiting 3 months I was told the dr was no longer accepting patients. It looks like I'll be without a dr for a while.

That really sucks.  I'm sorry to hear that.

Are there groups or day programs around where you live that might be useful?

I was bulimic in my early twenties and my weight was normal. My pdoc took it seriously then but now if I happen to tell a dr. that I was, they ask if I was underweight and seem less concerned when I say no. Frustrating.

• 2 weeks later...

Bulimia is dangerous at any weight. It can mess up your electrolytes, your internal organs, so much more.. ugh, doctors need to take it seriously. You don't need to be emaciated to be eating disordered.

Try and be more aggressive and getting treatment. If you have major problems, get to the emergency room, please. Be careful. Keep yourself hydrated. Dehydration is a major problem with bulimia and can really hurt you.

Try to find a counselor or an eating disorders program. When I was going through a rough point of eating disorders, I was referred to an eating disorders program, with a physician, a dietician and a counselor.