CrazyBoards.org

Temporary high stress

I have been taking klonopin from time to time. Most often .5mg at night to help me sleep. I recently upped it to 1mg.

My daughter is getting married Nov 3. Its a great thing and we are all very happy. however, we only have 4 weeks to get it together. We have two left. I don't do stress well and neither does my dd. we are both bp2, anxiety etc. I am the mom and I HAVE to be strong for her. Trust me on this. She is overall pretty stable but the anxiety is getting strong.

My question - while I love klonopin I do not want to become dependent on it. I took one today and so I did not taken one tonight to help with sleep. I have been exhausted for the last three hours but haven't been able to sleep. But it was so helpful earlier today.

In your opinion and experience can I take 2mg a day for the next two weeks and not become dependant? My pdoc prescribed 1mg twice a day but he seems to like handing out prescriptions.

First of all, congrats! I have seen firsthand the stress planning a wedding can induce. I hope it all works out well.

If your pdoc prescribed it, I don't see why you shouldn't take it. When I was on Ativan, my doc prescribed the highest possible daily dosage, and I took it daily for months on end and had no problem eventually coming off it. Of course, this was me, so it may be different for you. Maybe put in a call to your doctor for reassurance? Ask about your reservations and see what they think? Couldn't hurt.

I've taken 4 mg a day and not become dependent.  It took a long time to wean back down to the 1 mg I am on now, but I never became dependent on it, except for the general being on it to keep me relatively calm overall.  I take mine on a schedule (as opposed to as needed) so there is a constant stream of it in my system.  I take xanax for the breakthrough panic attacks.  Maybe that is something to look into?  A really small dose of it might help.

Thanks! I'm relatively certain my doc would say its no problem but I might call him anyway. Last time I was there he also gave me a script for risperadol when I mentioned my frequent anger and agitation. He prescribed it 'as needed'. He also gave me adderall at the same time and I don't like to take two new meds at the same time.

Not sure why I'm saying all that. My brain is a bit scattered and not sleeping well didn't help.

I think I will go ahead and start taking it during the day and to sleep at night.I really appreciate the input. The stress also messes with my stomach which makes it hard to do anything.

I think calling your doctor is a good idea if for no other reason than to set your mind at ease.

Try not to be hard on yourself by saying you have to be there for your daughter.  You're already helping her with the planning and if you need to take a break from it, than do so.  I know you want to be strong for her, but part of being strong is taking good care of yourself.

I do think I will call my doctor tomorrow.  I did take .5mg this morning and I am going to take .5mg in a couple hours.  Then either .5mg or 1mg tonight for sleep.  I like the idea of keeping it in my body.  I really appreciate the input.

Phoenix as far as taking care of my daughter I have 'issues'  of not being there for her in the past.  I almost lost her because of it.  My tdoc and I are working on that.  I have no one to talk to so I cry in the shower or car when I get overwhelmed.  I am pretty sure the klonopin will help.  It really evens me out as I have a lot of anxiety.

It's possible that you could have some physical dependence after two weeks of consistent dosing. That is NOT the same as addiction. The physical dependence is just your body being used to a particular amount of a drug. That can be easily addressed by tapering down the dose.

Talking to your doc sounds like a great idea.

Happy wedding! :D

It should be a happy wedding :)  It's crazy trying to plan in 4 weeks.  It was supposed to be a small 20 or so  people wedding in the backyard to an invite list of over 130 in a venue and all that LOL

I will call and I now feel comfortable taking it and then tapering off in a couple weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, congrats on your daughters wedding. I can see why you'd be stressed. You're going to need your own vacation after all of it! Sounds like a big event. :) I hope all goes well, it'll be a happy day.

You sound knowledgable and cautious about the klonopin. You shouldn't have a problem. The doctor and pharmacist are only a phone call away if you need any extra help. Like Wooster said, you'll be able to taper down when this is all over to avoid any possible side effects.

Good luck, congratulations to your growing family, and I hope you can squeeze a few hours of rest in!

• 3 weeks later...