CrazyBoards.org

I made a decision last night I cannot work anymore. My mental health is declining, my faith in my recovering is shattering, and the whole time at work I am a mess. I will be applying for disability for my bipolar...any advice, and how do I bring this up to my doc and counselor? My mood is low and my anxiety is high. I have been in this prison too long, its time to be free to finally have time and help to recover.

I agree with phoenix, just tell them it's too much for you to handle. I've been working the same job for over 9 years and last month for the first time in my life, I went out on disability. I'm now in an IOP, and I feel guilty for not working, but I know deep down, I cannot handle it right now. I'm being really honest with my doc and therapist and they can tell I can't do it right now.

ONe of the major keys is to have tons of documented and collected medical history.  Your current meds, previous meds, how long you've been on med, the doctors you've seen, the dx and notes, any IP information.  Also, if have your insurance company release your medical records, your pharmacy, and anyone else who might have a scrap of medical info about you, including your employer.  

Work history is also key, they look for a pastern of jumping from job to joy and to see if you did so in the same or different field.  Whether you were fired or quit

They also go by the date that you were no longer able to work, so if you show up to work tomorrow, to them, obviously, your last day of being able to work would be after that date.

It is a huge hassle to keep all the paperwork flowing and to get and process the medical & employment data, not to mention just knowing what info you will need.  You almost have to be able hold down a demanding job to be able to do it yourself.  Most people go the rout of getting a laywer or contacting a firm who handles all of this.  I did it myself and if I had it to do over again, I would have hired a pro, they earn their cut many times over (plus, the really good ones, hold your hand through the process and reassure you.)

I feel so uneasy and indecisive. My counselor is very supportive of me quitting my job, and she thinks I could apply for disability, but ultimately thinks in the future I need to find a low stress steady hours job. My doctor wants me to quit. I have not discussed disability with her but see her tomorrow. My problem is, I wouldn't have a source of income until being approved. I need an income. Then I feel like I owe it to work, so I push myself as well. I am at a loss. I could keep the job, or quit and have no income and pray disability falls through....bottom line is, I am unwell. I need help, wherever that may be.

Thank you all for your input and advice. I just feel stuck.

I hear you about the income. I still haven't received any of my disability pay, even though I have been approved by my job and their company, but the state also has to do things with it and their the ones dragging their feet on it. I also felt like I was married to my job and that it was so important. My counselor agrees that finding a lower stress job would be very beneficial to me. She actually just had me fill out a referral to meet with someone from the department of vocational rehab, which I have no clue what that might entail.

I hear you about the income. I still haven't received any of my disability pay, even though I have been approved by my job and their company, but the state also has to do things with it and their the ones dragging their feet on it. I also felt like I was married to my job and that it was so important. My counselor agrees that finding a lower stress job would be very beneficial to me. She actually just had me fill out a referral to meet with someone from the department of vocational rehab, which I have no clue what that might entail.

I have a VR counselor and we will soon end my case once I get a new job (I have met all my goals, educations, etc.) Its just between that happens and now, how am I going to make it at my current job? It seems hopeless. Well wishes with your referral to voc rehab. Take advantage of all their resources. Just don't take on more than you can handle. :) thank you for your post.

My problem is, I wouldn't have a source of income until being approved. I need an income. Then I feel like I owe it to work, so I push myself as well. I am at a loss. I could keep the job, or quit and have no income and pray disability falls through....bottom line is, I am unwell. I need help, wherever that may be.

Do you live alone?  When I went on SSDI I was living with my parents, and had to rely on them until SSDI came in and I could pay them kind of a "rent" for living there, food, etc.  I had to have like almost no money to my name and no assets for the approval process until I got SSDI.

I guess my point is, is there anyone you can rely on until you apply for SSDI and the waiting time before approval?

Eldorado makes very good points also.

I was accepted on reconsideration after my pdoc filled out some forms that he hadn't initially.  I don't know what he wrote but I think that was very important for my case.  I had to pay him $50 for his time but it was well worth it

I will quit my job when I get a new job assigned by Voc Rehab. I need some source of income and disability lets a lot of people down and I hate rejection. Plus my doc prescribed klonopin so maybe I will be able to tolerate the stress better now anyway. Who knows. As you all I can I cant stop. Everyone thinks I should quit...doc,therapist,family,friends, but I cant allow myself to. sigh....

I feel so uneasy and indecisive. My counselor is very supportive of me quitting my job, and she thinks I could apply for disability, but ultimately thinks in the future I need to find a low stress steady hours job. My doctor wants me to quit. I have not discussed disability with her but see her tomorrow. My problem is, I wouldn't have a source of income until being approved. I need an income. Then I feel like I owe it to work, so I push myself as well. I am at a loss. I could keep the job, or quit and have no income and pray disability falls through....bottom line is, I am unwell. I need help, wherever that may be.

Are you a benefited employee at a company with more than 50 employees? If so, they probably have a short-term disability program that would just require a letter from your doctor stating that you have a medical issue and cannot work right now. They don't even have to know why you can't work. I hope this is your case since it would solve most of the money problem and give you time to recover from the episode.

If you are an unbenefitted employee, I have no words of wisdom on how to get immediate financial assistance. Sorry. The suggestion to talk to your family is a good one, particularly if you get along with them. Having some people who care around would be good mentally, too.

Episodes don't last forever and disability doesn't have to be a permanent thing. I've had to take leaves of absence twice now. I would have been fired if I had to continue working. As it is, I am still employed at the same place. Disability saved me. Your pdoc should know how important it can be. Explain what's up and what you think you need. She should be understanding and helpful.

Edited by AnneMarie

I have a VR counselor and we will soon end my case once I get a new job (I have met all my goals, educations, etc.) Its just between that happens and now, how am I going to make it at my current job? It seems hopeless. Well wishes with your referral to voc rehab. Take advantage of all their resources. Just don't take on more than you can handle. :) thank you for your post.

I wish I had a good answer for that, once they decided to put me on disability I walked up to my boss that day, and said that as of the next day, I would be on a medical leave of absence. I'm glad you have a voc rehab counselor, that seems to be a big step in the right direction.

Are you a benefited employee at a company with more than 50 employees? If so, they probably have a short-term disability program that would just require a letter from your doctor stating that you have a medical issue and cannot work right now. They don't even have to know why you can't work. I hope this is your case since it would solve most of the money problem and give you time to recover from the episode.

If you are an unbenefitted employee, I have no words of wisdom on how to get immediate financial assistance. Sorry. The suggestion to talk to your family is a good one, particularly if you get along with them. Having some people who care around would be good mentally, too.

Episodes don't last forever and disability doesn't have to be a permanent thing. I've had to take leaves of absence twice now. I would have been fired if I had to continue working. As it is, I am still employed at the same place. Disability saved me. Your pdoc should know how important it can be. Explain what's up and what you think you need. She should be understanding and helpful.

I do not receive benefits so unfortunetly I cant receive short term medical leave. I have decided to quit my job and pursue other options. This is just too much for me. Thank you for your input/advice. :)