CrazyBoards.org

I have never really talked to anyone about their delusions, so I'm really unsure if mine are "normal" delusions or not.

I was curious about the time frames that delusions stick around for generally. Are they around constantly for an hour, a year? Do they come in and out? If so, for how long are they gone? How long do they stay? I'm pretty sure that's different for most people, but I'm still curious. My psychosis lasted for a couple years while I was unmedicated, but now that I'm on anti-psychotics, they're more infrequent and scattered. Which brings me to my second question: do delusions generally return? It's kind of hard to word right. I have blips of either minutes or hours where I am set in an irrational belief, but then it goes away, and the idea never comes back as a serious belief. However, I also have these imagined people and monsters who give me sensations and signs, which are recurring. I think of that as "normal" psychosis. Is the other thing I experience uncommon? 

Thanks. 

IMO what you are talking about experiencing are not uncommon in people with psychosis. 

The delusions are constant for me if I am unmedicated.  Otherwise when medicated, they are pretty much under control and they come and go, sometimes needing a med tweak if they get to be too much.  For me, yes, the delusions do return even when on medication.  When they do they might come and go, but if they stay around I usually need a med tweak.

Hi welcome to cb :)

I've had delusions that lasted a long time when I was under medicated. Now, I still have times when I wonder what is/was real, but for the most part I can put it aside.

I didn't talk about my delusions for awhile.  I thought I might get drawn back in or that no one would be interested.  First I read of other's experiences and then I shared mine.  I did find a lot of commonality with others which was reassuring in some way, that I am in the right place.

I guess I was more asking about whether specific delusions come and go. For example, I had this thing the other day where I believed I could disappear if I wanted to (more complicated than that, but this is just an example). I've never experienced that particular delusion before. It is likely I will never experience it again. So I was wondering if it's a common thing that I experience a particular delusion once and only once. Or if they're supposed to come back over and over. 

I have the same delusions (being followed, being watched, people out to get me, blah blah blah) and I do believe them. The Geodon dulls them, but they're still there, I do believe it, a bit, but not as much. I'm an anxious person, and not that trusting, as well.. so ya. I get mine later in the day, or if its really quiet and I hear whispering, for example. Often, if I'm tired. If I'm alone, not so much.

No delusions are "normal", there are more common ones (mine are fairly common, I believe) and I don't think 2 people have the same ones.

Everyone is different. I guess it comes down to what is "normal" for you, specifically. The DSM has criteria, and it fits different people differently. Like any disease, physical or mental, people are affected differently.