CrazyBoards.org

Invega side effects

I started taking the Invega shot 4 months ago and I stopped having menstrual cycles and gain weight. I was wondering if anyone else taking it had this problem and if so how long does it last.

Also could this be a side effect, I can't hold liquor down. one night I had 2 small mixed drinks and a beer and I was throwing up until 5 the next day :horny:

I'm on the oral form of Invega (9mgs, though I was on 12mgs for a long time), and I'm not sure if there's a difference with regard to side-effects between the two, so take this with a grain of salt. 

I can't personally speak to the loss of menstrual cycle (as I do not have one), but according to the information sheet on Invega: "amenorrhea [...] ha been reported in patients receiving prolactin-elevating compounds," which Invega does do (http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/lookup.cfm?setid=7b8e5b26-b9e4-4704-921b-3c3c0d159916). This is something you'll probably want to bring up with your doctor. I don't know the implications or possible risks it can cause, but it's probably worth mentioning to them anyway.

As for weight gain, I have gained a moderate amount of weight since I've been taking Invega, but nothing drastic enough for me to stop taking it (about 10-15lbs over the course of about 1.5-2 years). I'm not even sure I can blame this on Invega, at least not entirely. But if this is a big problem for you, you should talk to your doctor or prescriber about it.

And, I feel ya on the booze- I get drunk a lot easier and have hangovers from hell on Invega, when before I could binge drink like a fish and not feel a thing the next day but hungry. Not sure if it's an "official" side-effect, but something has definitely changed about my ability to tolerate alcohol.