CrazyBoards.org

Physical symptoms after an episode

I've been building up to a major depressive episode for a few weeks.  Too much stress and trying to take too much on with school and side projects.  Long story short, there was a school shooting in my home town.  For some reason, this triggered a down spiral that has been going on since Monday.  Last night, I had a major breakdown but my loving partners managed to talk me out of it enough to get some sleep.  Today I woke up and I feel like I've been hit by a train.  Muscle aches, gut ache, headache...I feel almost feverish but I know I'm not.

Seems like every injury I've ever had is acting up...ugh.  Anyone else have experiences like this? 

I've had a few anxiety attacks that leave me feeling like I've been a punching bag.   The shoulders for some reason get so tensed up that its bad during and after.   I'm new to all this so I'm interested in what you find out.

I've felt like I have the flu after a lot of stress. For me it seems to be connected with adrenalin - the more 'fire up' I feel in crisis mode, the worse I feel later. 

Head and muscle aches are common somatic symptoms of anxiety and depression, and my friend told me there's lots of serotonin receptors in the gut. It's pretty interesting how intrinsically mind and body are connected.

I wonder if trying some progressive muscle relaxation would help with the symptoms you're having.

I get aches and pains, and I feel like I constantly have the flu when I am depressed. Part of why I feel so achy is that I don't get out of bed, I think. But there are definitely physical, I don't know, side effects? I think the the physical feeling of being unwell is called being somatic. Maybe I am misunderstanding that word, and if that is the case, hopefully someone will correct me.

• 2 weeks later...

When I am feeling particularly bad, I get pain everywhere. My joints hurt, my muscles hurt, I get migraines, its like my body has given up trying to maintain itself for a while. I wish I had some advice, but Bengay and heating pads are the best I have.

Not sure if this is the same thing but I have chronic pain.........  when my mood is crap the pain is worse......... however I never know if it is the pain causing the shitty mood or vice versa.

MDD is definitely linked with physical symptoms... muscle ache, fatigue, etc.  

I think the the physical feeling of being unwell is called being somatic. Maybe I am misunderstanding that word, and if that is the case, hopefully someone will correct me.

You're right, they'd be somatic symptoms by definition.

I have physical symptoms as part of depression and anxiety. I feel flulike, fatigued, and my body feels heavy, like it's full of sand. Anxiety definitely contributes, too. When I have mood crashes, the tension and physical upheaval that result have definite "aftermath" effects, as well as the daily depression problems like heaviness and flulike symptoms.

Regular self care to loosen amd relax myself, like going for a walk or taking a hot shower, seems to help me if I can make myself get up and do it. Easier said than done. A small handheld massage device was a good investment for me.

I get aches and pains from panic attacks, but I think I actually pull muscles in my chest/shoulder area by hyperventilating and trying to get into a position to breathe or just by flailing about and being jerky when I panic, or at least that's what I assume.

I get flu like symptoms when I'm in the depressive mode, and they take a few days to subside. I know if I get a cold it takes me 2 weeks to shake it off, but post-depressive symptoms take 2/3 days.  

• 2 weeks later...

I get aches and pains from depression, almost always in the back and neck. It's definitely stress buildup, but it also has to do with being out of it. Depression can make me not care about anything, so I might try to move something heavy without using my legs or something. I'm just not thinking clearly. Or else if I'm so depressed I can't make it out of my house I can get muscle pain from sitting in a chair too long. 

I'm also accident prone when depressed. Once I had to get stitches because I crashed my eyebrow into a car door. I just wasn't paying attention when I was getting into my car. One moment I was getting in, the next moment I was sitting there with blood running down my eye and a gigantic gash in my eyebrow. 6 stitches. 

For me it's always after the fact. It varies. It can be the next day or sometimes it can hit me a few days later. The immediately after symptoms tend to be sore teeth (I clench but not on purpose), exhaustion and yes, feeling like I got run over, I guess from being tense. My stomach usually churns and gurgles and I get horrible pains. Whether or not I spend the week in the loo afterwards depends on how panicked I was or how much stress I was under at the time. I rarely notice *while* I'm stressed, it's always after I've started to feel better.