CrazyBoards.org

On the subject of Trichotillomania...

Hello, this is my first post on here! Where do I start... Since I was about 5 I have been obsessed with hair pulling. Luckily I would not pull out hair on my head, but on my arms, legs etc. When I got older and started growing pubic hair, the habit was transferred to that. This is very embarrassing for me but I have never really thought it was a problem. I am 19 now and finally realized that it is not normal. I can spend 5 minutes to 2 hours sometimes trying to pull it all out. I feel like I go into a trance when I do it. I want to pull them ALL. My habit has never been something you can see, since it is always covered up, lol.

I started looking up these habits and realized it was trichotillomania. That is how I found this forum. Anywho, I found one way that I feel has greatly reduced my plucking down there. I got a brazillian wax, all the hair was gone, and therefore no more pulling! It was great. Since then I bought my own brazillian wax and use that to rip all of them out so I am not constantly pulling them out on a daily basis.

Has anyone else tried this? Or any opinions? I know it does not completely get rid of the habit but it sure does make it less frequent.

Sorry this was long winded, but I just need some opinions on whether this is a good fix. Thank you!

I recently started nervously hair twirling because my job is very stressful. I have been losing a lot of hair every time I shower & just attributed it to stress.

Then I noticed some bald/bristly patches in the usual area of my scalp where I was twisting my hair so I have since stopped the twirling & have switched to touching the bristles or scratching my scalp. I have been working on stopping the scratching as well as the bristle touching.

I have never done anything like this before, but since I am also suffering from anxiety/insomnia, it isn't that surprising. Going to a counselor next week and taking Klonopin in the meantime at night for insomnia/anxiety.

Maybe I should shave my head if I dont stop twirling?