CrazyBoards.org

A night of terrifying sleep paralysis episodes

So yesterday I forgot to take my meds so I took them at midnight when I got home from work. I tried to sleep but everytime I'd 'fall asleep' no matter what position i lay in, I'd get stuck in a sleep paralysis episode. they were so scary. It was so incredibly hard to jolt myself awake and I felt like I was awake and seeing creatures and things out of the corner of my eye even though my eyes were closed.. I could've sworn i was calling out to my mate to help me, but as it turns out in reality I was making no such noise after all.

The worst part is this continued for an hour. I wonder if it had anything to do with missing my doses?

I hate that. It is so scary, one of the worst experiences I've ever had. I'm sorry you went through that. I'm not sure what would cause it or if missing your regular dose could have triggered it, but I do know that when I am in a really anxious state or in a depressive episode, I get sleep paralysis all the time, much how you described it with not being able to move at all, seeing things hovering above me, and that awful feeling of pure panic as you try to make yourself move but can't. I hope it doesn't recur for you.

If your meds are for sedation or sleep, or become part of your bedtime routine, then they could be factoring.

I believe that there is a certain amount of natural paralysis that your body creates during sleep stages, and that having hallucinations in semi sleep states are actually quite common. They are terrifying, but not a symptom of mental illness or a great problem. Coming up through sleep to wakefulness when over tired or sleep is disturbed, these experiences are common.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really sorry you have ben having that, I've struggled with that to and it's truly terrifying. I dont know if meds can do that but I would not find it outside the realm of possibility. I do notice that when this happens to me it is usually when I am stressed and not sleeping, when I'm staying awake until morning and my rem gets messed up, then paralysis and hypnogagic phenomena happen. Good luck! I do know cymbalta and lamictal made me have strange sleep behavior, but I dont know about missing doses. I hope it goes away for you though snd try to stay calm, panic seems to worsen it in my experience.