CrazyBoards.org

breakthrough hypo/mania on meds

I've just finished tapering off 1500 mg divalproex as directed by my pdoc.  I was taking that dose of 1500 mg plus 1200 mg lithium for about two years.  I'm still on the 1200 mg lithium.  I'm starting to feel a little float-away, buzzy, maybe heading towards hypomanic.  

Pdoc will be contacted if this continues.  I do hope it's just a period of adjustment while my body gets rid of the divalproex; I've been on it in varying doses and cocktails for seven years.

What's the highest dose of lithium or other mood stabilizer your mania has broken through?  I know I can go higher on Lithium if needed.  Divalproex, though, please, I don't want to go back on it.  I am maybe starting to feel a tiny bit clearer and less fogged-in without it.  

When's the last time your serum levels were checked? 

I had regular breakthroughs of hypomania and then a full on mixed episode when I was on 12mg of Invega, which was the maximum dose. So far I've had nothing on lithium, but I've only been on it a few months so I'm no expert. I hope things start to level out. Seven years is a long time, maybe your body just needs to find its balance again without the dep. Keep us posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever it was, it was over in a couple of days.  My lithium level in summer was either .6 or .8 in the tech's scrawl, on the low side.  I have more tests in a few weeks.  Feeling crushed flat is safe and familiar.  

Thanks for replying.  I am genuinely interested in breakthrough levels for different people so if anyone else wanted to weigh in, please do.

Thanks.  The worst of it was dysphoria, SI and drinking to shut my brain up, plus a little overspending, and starting senseless projects.  The pages of semi-legible frantic journaling are just wasted time and paper.