CrazyBoards.org

Constant feeling of anxiety. What is it?

I have mental health issues and am on medication.
I had to have an injection of depixol administered every two weeks and I experienced a horrible side effect
called akathisia. 
It got to the point where it was so destructive to my life that I stopped my injection on Thursday 19th
September and was prescribed a new medication Quetiapine. 

On Sunday the 22nd September I researched my new medication on Google
to see whether people had suffered from akathisia whilst taking it and there was a post from someone saying
that they had. 
I felt a stab of anxiety about this. In my experience, anxiety subsides and normality returns,
however ever since the 22nd of September until now I have been suffering from
constant sensationsof anxiety in my chest. 

From the moment I wake up to the time that I go to bed, I experience a sensation of adrenaline
and discomfort in my chest.
This feeling has lingered within me in situations where I'd usually be happy, relaxed, calm and content
yet it has still continued.
I don't have any thoughts of worry that would trigger it and the prospect of that side effect
hasn't really cropped up again either.

This anxiety sometimes heightens to a worse state if I go on a bus or I go to someone's house
but this has never ever been a problem for me in the past. I'm used to going on buses at 1am, 
after seeing a friend, in the morning without being phased. 
I'm not usually a very anxious person usually when it comes to being social.

I'd appreciate any advice, because this is really affecting my day to day life in a very severe way.
I don't feel up to travelling or seeing my friends.
I've gone from a person who loves going out to someone who isn't keen on leaving the house. 
Has anyone ever suffered from this before or know what this constant state of panic is? 

If so, how long did it take for it to go away or what did you do to combat it?

Thank you for reading. I'm sorry for this being a long post.
Edited by Erianna

I suffer from generalized anxiety and I would always feel constant low end anxiety almost every minute, but being low I was able to cope with it, I also got a lot of moderate levels of anxiety and that was too much to cope with, and on top of that I also get panic attacks occasionally. In addition I also suffer from seasonal depression. I take wellbutrin for the depression but it does nothing for my anxiety. So I been taken xanax as needed trying to save them for the most severe because I would only get 30 for the month. I recently started taking Zoloft which actually eliminated the constant low end of anxiety and that alone is worth it I think. In addition it also puts a small dent in my moderate levels of anxiety too! It has no effect on severe levels or panic attacks. But I need less Xanax and it lasts longer! It sounds like you have social anxiety or a combination. It usually doesn't just "go away". You should find out if Zoloft is right for you. It does help me, not a cure all but noticeable improvement! Good luck to you!

How much Seroquel (Quetiapine) are you taking?  I also have GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) and take Gapapentin, Klonopin and a beta-blocker to stave off the anxiety.  I'm sorry you're feeling this way, I know its an awful place to be.  Seroquel, at the right dose, should do a good job of knocking your anxiety down.

Has any one tried buspar and how did it work for you? I've heard good things and bad things. Is it better then Seroquel? For anxiety. Zoloft definitely gets rid of the background noise for me, the constant low end level anxiety that always seems to be there for me. Helps a little on moderate levels, but that's as far as it goes, after that I need xanax or klonopin.

Buspar was very ineffective for me and I had some rebound anxiety when I first began it. Buspar is very safe so it seems popular with doctors but I did not notice any benefit from it. The only benefit I have found is in cbt, controlling my breath, and either xanax prn or klonopin nightly. I have generalized anxiety as well, but since beginning saphris in july I feel more anxious, I have the chest pain as well nearly every day. when I am trying to lie down I get a burst of energy our fear and my heart starts racing and I have trouble calming down after that. Other times I wl just be going out our doing laundry and I will get that rush of sudden fear, which causes me to fear that I am dying and the anxiety kicks up.

I have ben trying to make sense of it too, I can at times realize that something is causing the anxiety that I for some reason am not consciously aware of, I only feel the physical anxiety. I would try to see if you can isolate some common denominator, maybe something is causing your anxiety that yout are not realizing. Sometimes it spontaneously goes away but other times it feels like I will die and I can't find any reasonable catalyst for the anxiety but there must be one. I wonder if it is at all possible for antipsychotics to worsen anxiety? The first week on meds the anxiety is fine, but then it comes back. I'm told it's the gad but I did not feel this much anxiety since beginning the saphris.

My psychiatrist doesn't agree with benzodiazepines so instead she seems to think that lithium will help my anxiety. She recommended ssri like prozac as well but they dont settle with me well. I would definitely ask your psychiatrist for some help. Good luck, I can empathize!

Edited by kitkatt91

Doctors are indeed very benzophobic and I suspect it has more to do with malpractice insurance then patient safety. There was a time before the malpractice boom when doctors would prescribe any thing for any thing. Your back hurts? Here have some morphine. This is why I am desperately seeking alternatives to bezos because I know they work, you know they work, doctors know they work, but they are not willing to take the chance. So rather then wait until they pull the rug out from under me I'm trying to prepare for it now :)

Have you had any success so far finding alternatives? A xanax at the onset of panic helped me better than anything, helped me take my other meds as well quelling some anxieties about being poisoned, but because my new doctor us not so inclined I'm back to feeling like my heart is on the verge of busting. I know it's a class of drugs I won't be seeing any time soon. I have always been averse to meditation and things like that but I've been giving it a chance, even performing banishing rituals in the chance my anxiety is metaphysical. I would say I appreciate a cautious doctor but it doesnt seem cautious when they refuse to use something that worked in favor of antidepressants that make me manic and paranoid or lithium that might do me harm as I'm not physically healthy; thus in my mind both routes pose risk and harm...but doctors are stuborn, c est la vie I dont anticipate persuading my doctors but daily anxiety is torture

I know it's torture. The Zoloft does relieve me of what I refer to as the background noise. What that actually is is constant low level anxiety. It's not sever enough to trip you, but you know it's there and it feels uncomfortable. The Zoloft totally eliminates my background noise! It does a little but not enough for moderate and nothing for serious anxiety or panic attacks. I'm taking xanax now and have mixed feelings about it. I'd prefer klonopin or valium. Xanax is faster acting but doesn't last very long at all. Need to take them more often on bad days where as klonopin your good longer! Ativan is on the line of xanax. Those are all I've had so far. Nothing seems to substitute any of them unfortunately. I was hoping buspar was promising. I'm still searching :(

Give the buspar a try! I would imagine it being similar to the zoloft in effectiveness, but you might be someone it really works for though. If xanax lasted as long as the klonopin that would be great but oh well :P I wonder if something like trazadone might work for anxiety, I took it for sleep but I think I remember being less anxious, it's an older tryciclic like buspar I believe. Good luck, ill be certainly searching as well...."noise" as yout say is bearable to me but im getting daily panic attacks which are not. The buspar in no way helped the panic so I quit it. I dont know much is good for higher anxiety or panic other than benzos, and of course the long long process of coping...:(

• 2 weeks later...

I take 1mg of xanax. I had a bad side effect with clonipin, which most pdocs try it first. So instead I take 1mg of xanax bid. I take another mg prn. I have been on the same dosage for 7 years, and my pdoc says I under use my prn. I usually have so many left over xanax, that my dad was concerned that I was stockpileing planning to OD

My father had patients on 3mg bid. It really varies from Dr. to dr, and patient to patient. Benzos are not inherently bad or good. Buspar is hit or miss. Those who like it seem to REALLY like it.

I have GAD.

Buspar was very ineffective for me and I had some rebound anxiety when I first began it. Buspar is very safe so it seems popular with doctors but I did not notice any benefit from it. The only benefit I have found is in cbt, controlling my breath, and either xanax prn or klonopin nightly. I have generalized anxiety as well, but since beginning saphris in july I feel more anxious, I have the chest pain as well nearly every day. when I am trying to lie down I get a burst of energy our fear and my heart starts racing and I have trouble calming down after that. Other times I wl just be going out our doing laundry and I will get that rush of sudden fear, which causes me to fear that I am dying and the anxiety kicks up.

I have ben trying to make sense of it too, I can at times realize that something is causing the anxiety that I for some reason am not consciously aware of, I only feel the physical anxiety. I would try to see if you can isolate some common denominator, maybe something is causing your anxiety that yout are not realizing. Sometimes it spontaneously goes away but other times it feels like I will die and I can't find any reasonable catalyst for the anxiety but there must be one. I wonder if it is at all possible for antipsychotics to worsen anxiety? The first week on meds the anxiety is fine, but then it comes back. I'm told it's the gad but I did not feel this much anxiety since beginning the saphris.

My psychiatrist doesn't agree with benzodiazepines so instead she seems to think that lithium will help my anxiety. She recommended ssri like prozac as well but they dont settle with me well. I would definitely ask your psychiatrist for some help. Good luck, I can empathize!

I noticed in your sig you have some ICD9 DX codes... I know the first 2, whats the 3rd one? I don't know if I've come across that one.