CrazyBoards.org

How is pot a *soft drug*?

How is pot a soft drug?

Who said it is a soft drug? It's still officially a schedule 1 drug. While I understand that a lot of people seem to benefit from it, I find it stronger then any benzo, or amphetamine or opiate. In fact the side effects for those three are lower for me then with pot. If I smoke weed I get extremely paranoid, anxious, and I start to become delusional. For example I am convinced people are out to kill me and the music on the radio is actually messages directed at me only. For me pot is a heavy duty drug more stronger then opiates or any other narcotic I can take. It may not be as addicting as heroin but it sure is more addicting then benzos and just as addicting as opiates. You don't want to be around a pot head who can't get any more pot. Extremely irritable, and borderline awful mood swings lol. So yea, I don't get how it can be called soft,

Edited by IndieVisible

I've known a few people who can't smoke bud because it causes high levels of anxiety or panic. Seems there are an equal amount of those who can't or don't smoke it for those reasons to those who do smoke it. Like any drug, some people are going to have adverse reactions. To me, it takes the edge off and helps with my tolerance level in general, but I can go 'one toke over the line' accidentally and have moments of panic or paranoia. They usually don't last, but I have experienced them, for sure. IndieVisible is right, though, without it I am not a happy camper. I consider it my anti-depressant, however.

Even though it may be Schedule 1 in the US in the 21st century, it was the first treatment for epilepsy, back in ancient times, I forget if it was in Greece or Persia. It was also suggested by Galen for treatment of migraine just shy of 2 millennia in the past. It is widely known that is helps patients with severe nausea, including cancer patients undergoing treatment. I think you would have a hard time finding many oncologists that would disagree, even if they don't approve.

Medical grade cannabis won't be oregano, or dusted with something. It's chain of evidence usually goes back to when it was a seedling, so the industry can control what does and doesn't get into their inventory.

Marijuana was made a schedule one drug only about 80 years ago, and for reasons that had nothing to do with its efficacy as a medication.

I think because there's a lot of debate on how addicting it is, the negative affects and withdrawal symptoms.

Technically (as per DSM-IV), addiction is defined pretty broadly, including both physical and psychological affects. Compare heroin or nicotine to alcohol; the former are considered extremely physically addictive--the vast majority of smokers are addicted and nicotine has very potent neurological affects. But most people won't get "addicted" to alcohol. I enjoy drinking and do it on a regular basis (moderately) and would definitely be sad to part with my microbrews, but if I had to give it up I wouldn't go into major withdrawals. That's much more psychological, I'm simply used to it and I like it. (Then again the lines between physical and psychological are pretty blurred these days but I won't go into that.)

This is a good statistic I read: 

"Marijuana is the most heavily used drug in the country — by their 20s, 56% of Americans have tried it — but only 16% of people who are in addiction treatment report that marijuana is their primary drug. In contrast, just 2% of young adults have ever tried heroin, but heroin addicts make up 14% of treatment admissions."

So most people can take it or leave without much trouble; but like anything you enjoy and do habitually, it can still be hard to give up. 

I agree it can cause a lot of negative effects for some people... but I wouldn't say that's an argument for it being addictive or as harmful as "hard" drugs; after all, just look at all the awful side effects that accompany many legal prescription medications; like any drug some people will react differently.

IMHO, I put marijuana closer to the alcohol category. I wouldn't ever call either completely "safe", but I think it CAN be used responsibly, whereas it's much harder to do so with harder drugs.

Even though it may be Schedule 1 in the US in the 21st century, it was the first treatment for epilepsy, back in ancient times, I forget if it was in Greece or Persia. It was also suggested by Galen for treatment of migraine just shy of 2 millennia in the past. It is widely known that is helps patients with severe nausea, including cancer patients undergoing treatment. I think you would have a hard time finding many oncologists that would disagree, even if they don't approve.

Medical grade cannabis won't be oregano, or dusted with something. It's chain of evidence usually goes back to when it was a seedling, so the industry can control what does and doesn't get into their inventory.

Marijuana was made a schedule one drug only about 80 years ago, and for reasons that had nothing to do with its efficacy as a medication.

They use to treat colds & headaches with morphine in the early 20th century, so what does that prove?

Edited by IndieVisible

I think that you're asking this to stir up shit.

Take a position if you're going to ask a question. Why do YOU feel that it's a soft drug, OP, since that's how you've phrased it?

You grow it while the others are made in drug labs.

You smoke it while the others you inject or snort it or take as a tablet.

It has been on the news to be "beneficial" for some people while the other drugs are seen as just bad for our society.

IDK something about pot doesn't exactly say "hardcore" as much as heroin or cocaine.

Take a position if you're going to ask a question. Why do YOU feel that it's a soft drug, OP, since that's how you've phrased it?

It has been on the news to be "beneficial" for some people while the other drugs are seen as just bad for our society.

IDK something about pot doesn't exactly say "hardcore" as much as heroin or cocaine.

What "others" are you speaking of? Cocaine is also a plant, cultivated for centuries. Opium is the precursor for heroin:opium is a product of poppy production. Poppies, a very pretty garden flower...

Your reasoning needs refinement and you should have facts at hand rather than making WAGs.

I am kind of scared of synthetic marijuana (not the same, I know.)  It seems like it makes people go psychotic like crazy, from the news reports I've heard.  Don't do that shit, if you're thinking of it, is my advice.  

Well, it can't kill you via overdose unless you smoke like thousands of joints within a given time period.

Nether can LSD or mushrooms, but they could make you believe you could fly off a building.  The best argument one can make for Marijuana is it's not as addicting as some drugs, which is true. However addiction is only one factor to consider. There is a psychological addiction to pot similar to cigarettes and alcohol. But the bottom line will always be, if it works for you and you like it, nothing any one can say will make a difference.

I wonder if it's because pot tends to not cause physical addiction/withdrawal in the same way that other drugs can... note I'm not talking about psychological addiction or physical tolerance.

But that's totally a wild ass guess.

Pot has the potential to induce psychosis in individuals predisposed to such.   Booze has the potential to induce violence in people predisposed to such.   There are clearly some people who should not smoke pot and who should not drink.   The reasons for this has everything to do with pre-existing psychiatric conditions and nothing about the substances though.

The same, all of your points, could be said for opium.

None of those characteristics make it any *softer*, IMO.  

IndieVisible, what is the LD 50 for for cannabis? There is none. Scientists joke that the LD50 for rats was dropping a bail of marijuana on their head.

And you might not be so flip about it if you had 5-7 migraines a week, and were given your MDs support for using an innocuos (speling can bite me, I'm depressed) medication. The distinction between opiates and cannabis is that one can can cause fatal overdoses and death, whereas MJ has never (ever) caused an overdose.

You know that it was banned because it was considered a drug used in the Mexican/Black communities, I'm certain. Alcohol was the drug white people used, and therefor escaped a second prohibition 

There will never be studies of cannabis' while it is Class 1. That makes it a lot easier for you to dismiss what you don't want to hear.

And since you know so much about it, you also know that it wasn't pulled from the market because of health concerns. You must also know about the Shafer Commission, during the Nixon era, recommending it's legalization.

I'm tired, I'm not going to proof it.

In Canada, marijuana isn't so "evil". Personally, I hate it. I've done worse things. With good stuff smoked or ingested properly its less damaging and has medicinal uses. In those casrs if people benefit, good. Its even covered by some health insurance but takes 3 months for approval. Waiting list. Not for me but I'm with crtlcms. I like the ld 50 comment. Made me chuckle.

Anything can be abused. That synthetic fake pot crap sold at head shops and corner stores is killing kids. I'm for cautious controlling. Medicinal use is proven. If it helps pain better than an opiate, awesome. Less addiction, side effects and cost. THC can be beneficial. I know this is different from my normal stance. I don't advocate illegal, personal daily self medication though.