CrazyBoards.org

It's not addictive i just get a resistance fast

So i was on Temaz about 3 years ago to help settle me down, and 10mg of temaz worked great didn't abuse it nothing.

3 years later i was put on it again to assist sleep and within 2 weeks i grew a 100mg resistance and it no longer worked on me all together.

However Valium 5mg or 10mg i do not get a resistance and  even after 2 months use now i am been weened off and i went off it cold turkey no dramas no withdrawals whatsoever... 

So why is it i grew a resistance to Temaz so fast but valium seems fine?

I dunno, it's in the same class as other benzos. But they are a little different. For me, Klonopin and Valium are the strongest and last the longest, stay in my system longer. But take longer to kick in. Xanax kicks in faster, but is not as strong and definitely wears off faster. I would think dependency would be easier on xanax for that reason. None of them are addicting for me either, but I can become dependent on them to relieve me of my anxiety. Yes I am addicted to feeling normal. I seem to build a tolerance quicker on xanax and ativan. Klonopin and Valium not so quick. I never had Temaz but perhaps it's just the make up of it that might make it more on the line of xanax? Dunno. Not all benzos are created equal.

So i was on Temaz about 3 years ago to help settle me down, and 10mg of temaz worked great didn't abuse it nothing.

3 years later i was put on it again to assist sleep and within 2 weeks i grew a 100mg resistance and it no longer worked on me all together.

However Valium 5mg or 10mg i do not get a resistance and  even after 2 months use now i am been weened off and i went off it cold turkey no dramas no withdrawals whatsoever... 

So why is it i grew a resistance to Temaz so fast but valium seems fine?

I prefer Valium and Klonopin over Xanax for that reason. It seems Xanax acts faster and doesn't last as long so you need more of it there by building up a resistance to it faster. Valium and Klons take longer to go in to effect but last loger and stay in your system longer too thereby reducing the need for taking more and slowing down the resistance. I have no experience with Temaz  but it's properties could be similar to xanax. I'm on xanax now and wish I can switch over to klonopin or valium. They really last longer then xanax.

Edited by IndieVisible

Xanax is good for emergency use, if you have a bad panic attack or a dental appointment or are getting on a plane or something.. so is Ativan.

I found I built up resistance to temazepam quickly too.. I went from 15mg at night to 30mg to 45mg, and then we went to another sleeping med. Nitrazepam. I don't need a sleeping med anymore. Temazepam is mainly used for sleep, once a day. 100mg is getting dangerous.

Valium has a long half life and does work quickly. It is generally taken during the day for anxiety. Usually 2-3 times a day. All benzos are different, but based around the same chemical structure. They can be psycholigcally and physically addictive and have awful withdrawal if stopped cold turkey (never a good idea) and should be tapered off of. They should not be messed around with and taken as prescribed. Xanax has a short half life, hence needing to take it more often, it leaves the body quickly.

Some people are more easily addicted, some never get addicted. Some build up tolerance quickly, some don't. We're all different.

I think the case of "Benzos are addictive" is just another random media story best ignored.  I've heard the horror stories & in 2009 it was suggested I went onto them & because I didn't expect it I freaked out a bit & said no.  Then about 18 months later in the latter half on 2010 I thought I really wish I'd said yes, but I was living in a different catchment area.

The doctor had no problem adding 15mg (3/day x 5mg) Valium to my meds.  I'm still on them now.  But in May 2011 I had a trip booked that I couldn't miss on a Tuesday (3rd) & planned to collect my script on the Monday (2nd), & I'd made the classic "bank holiday Monday" mistake.  I went, & nothing happened on the 3rd, or the 4th, but in the AM hours of the 5th I got the shakes, was up all night & it the morning had to ask a relative to get some isotonic drinks, explaining that I was going through a cold turkey benzo W/D after 9 months.  She did & that day was real bad.  I was sick 4 times with hot & cold flushes, but every time I threw I added more isotonics/antacids.  The energy would go in in 10 minutes so if I was sick again all I'd be throwing up would be food colouring & water.  The 6th was better - some sleep & only sick twice.  The 7th - I was sick no times & able to go out for a birthday celebration meal, finish it & have 4 drinks, although it was tricky.  The 8th - that was it.  2 real bad days, 1 tricky day, & then no valium until the 18th & no craving for it either. 

And I have a history of major alcohol abuse & that's all the withdrawal I got?  Well at least now I know.  2 1/2 years later I have not abused them (dose still the same) but they have helped me lower my alcohol problem a lot, & in getting fewer calories from alcohol I've improved the rest of my diet & lost 2 stones too.  Overall I give Valium 9/10.  I think a few get hooked & of course those are the stories you hear about.  It wouldn't exactly make a great headline: "NEWSFLASH:  98% of people who take this prescribed drug have few or no side effects", would it?  (Well I'd find it funny but I don't think the masses would).

I think the case of "Benzos are addictive" is just another random media story best ignored.

Nope. They are addictive.

Your story clearly described a physical withdrawal from the medication, one of the hallmarks of an addictive drug. Just because you didn't think it was a big deal doesn't change the fact that many people are addicted to benzos and go through severe withdrawals when stopping them abruptly.

• 2 weeks later...

If I go 24 hours without Ativan (2mg) I get sleep paralysis when trying to sleep, and sleep apnea (waking up suddenly gasping for air). I get the brain zaps and feel dizzy. I then try to immediately take them (hey, I forget sometimes, its natural) and then I am fine. it all depends on the person, the dose, the metabolism, the.. everything. Its so different for each person.

I think the case of "Benzos are addictive" is just another random media story best ignored.

Your story clearly described a physical withdrawal from the medication, one of the hallmarks of an addictive drug. Just because you didn't think it was a big deal doesn't change the fact that many people are addicted to benzos and go through severe withdrawals when stopping them abruptly.

Withdrawal does not equal addiction. You have withdrawal from mood stabilizers, SSRIs, etc. Every type of psychiatric med. Dependence and addiction are no the same thing. There is a pin in this section that discusses this.

Withdrawal does not equal addiction. You have withdrawal from mood stabilizers, SSRIs, etc. Every type of psychiatric med. Dependence and addiction are no the same thing. There is a pin in this section that discusses this.

I will read the pin, but my take on benzos being addictive was from information given to me by my old pdoc, who told me they are addictive. Also from having been on them, taken too many too often, not being able to stop myself and then having to quit- all of which felt like addiction to me (and I've been addicted to cocaine and nicotine, so I kinda know what it feels like).

I've been addicted to nicotine. I have been using the same benzo at the same dosage with handfuls of leftover prns for 7 years. A lot of Drs. don't like benzos, some probably think they do automatically cause addiction. They have a potential for abuse. Addiction is an illness, not a side effect.

I've been addicted to nicotine. I have been using the same benzo at the same dosage with handfuls of leftover prns for 7 years. A lot of Drs. don't like benzos, some probably think they do automatically cause addiction. They have a potential for abuse. Addiction is an illness, not a side effect.

Couldn't have said it better...

I took Klonopin for years and when I grew tolerant to it (no longer worked), I did a fast taper and stopped taking it. I did not abuse it.   I did not even suffer withdrawal, although I recognize that some people do. But I've seen people post on this and other boards that they were prescribed a benzo, but that they were afraid to take it. I believe that the addictive properties of benzodiazepines are exaggerated to the point where people who need them are afraid to take them out of fear of addiction. Even some doctors are afraid of them.

The fact is that benzodiazepines are safe and effective and are the gold standard for treating anxiety medically.