CrazyBoards.org

I'm currently on 80mg of viibryd and 40mg latuda.  I still like to drink a 12 pack of beer every now and again.  I was wondering if there are any horror stories that i should be aware of?  It's not to drink to get away from my symptoms.  It's just fun and relaxing.  I mostly drink alone and play video games.  I was diagnosed as paranoid schizophrenic but my meds work great.

The biggest thing with meds is not to drink with anti anxiety meds.  I find that drinking after taking latuda makes me extremely sleepy.  I usually fall asleep after like 2 beers.  I don't think a 12 pack is a good habit, though.  Even a 6 pack is quite a lot.

Alcohol can make your pills less effective as your body cannot process the pills until the alcohol has been processed first (or something like that, is what I've been told.)

I would have to echo the above, mixing meds with alcohol can be iffy and it would be important that your meds were otherwise working.peoplr have told me that drinking alone is problematic and the amount you drink might be a little high, but I used to drink alone too, I enjoyed it and it was like a ritual for me, but it was also for relief from my situation.

I know someone else who is sz and he drinks when he goes out, I hear he is fine until he drinks too much and then symptoms kind of flare up. Personally my horror story was before medication so it might be a little different. I have not drunk since that night but I began noticing that when I was drunk I would see stars everywhere, things I have called fairies for years I dont know what the dairies actually are but they are gone now and I would see them everywhere when I drank. My horror story if the term applies was because I think alcohol took my filters away. I got really swept up in this moment one night and I thought I was having premonitions and that the world was ending and I spent all night bargaining with ghosts to avoid the apocalypse. I started running around at night talking to the ghosts until I decided to cut myself very badly to appease them. I dont drink now, I think it just makes me to liable to lose control of myself. I think in general alcohol willrisk bringing out things you dont want if you are not in a good place to begin with.

Alcohol pretty much just increases what ever the meds do and possible side effects too. That said I drink vodka str8 up of course, it would be blasphemy to mix any vodka or whiskey! I never drink more then 6 to 8 oz at a time and always at evenings when I'm home. I know my tolerance and limits. So far the worse that's happened to me just on alcohol is I get very sleepy. For me I can drink alcohol but can not smoke weed. I'm also ok with stims and benzos and opiates. Pot totally kills me.

Edited by IndieVisible

Alcohol and meds are not recommended.. its okay to have an occasional drink, but a full 12 pack is a bad idea. Special occasions and such, a drink or two isn't that bad. When starting meds, don't drink. If you're symptomatic, defnitely don't drink. I do have the occasional drink or two at night. Alcohol and the meds play off each other, so be careful. If you're at home playing video games, you are't out walking around or anything, so you should be fine.. but definitely cut down. Don't make it a nightly thing.

Glad to hear your meds work great for you. Too much alcohol and they can work less great. Cut back on it, as been mentioned. You'll also notice hangovers from hell start if you mix booze and meds. NOT fun.

• 1 month later...

12 pack! That's way too much IMHO. For me alcohol had no impact on the effects of the medication. But I thought a 4 pack was quite excessive in any one session. How often do you drink and how much? Remember that your medication is already likely to take a toll on your liver, so any addition like you describe would be most unhealthy. Be good to yourself. In the old computing adage - garbage in, garbage out

12 pack! That's way too much IMHO. For me alcohol had no impact on the effects of the medication. But I thought a 4 pack was quite excessive in any one session. How often do you drink and how much? Remember that your medication is already likely to take a toll on your liver, so any addition like you describe would be most unhealthy. Be good to yourself. In the old computing adage - garbage in, garbage out