CrazyBoards.org

Anti Psychotic Make Symptoms Worse. doctor Says it's impossible

I can't remember them all. 

I do know :

Seroquel - Gave me GREAT Clarity one day then VERY intense bouts of Paranoia the next day and every time I tried afterwards. 3 times total

Risperidone - Made me more manic. First day after I took it the lights were literally glowing with an "aura" about them. Tried twice. Second time went manic and more auditory hallucinations

There was one other I took at the hospital that made me start seeing things. Many more visual hallucinations. I can't remember the name. 

When i tell the doctors this, they say it is impossible. They say it is because the drugs I did and it is impossible for psychosis to be induced by anti psychotics. 

The one that has helped but has not cured all was Saphris. it makes me slightly more social, less anxious. I only take 10 mg. Dosage increase is probably necessary but the problem is I got free prescription through Bristol Meyers and psych doesn't want to fill out new paperwork - He wants to mess with mood stabilizers more first.

I thought about adding Latuda to the mix but I hear a lot about half life being 16 hours and people having a rough last 8 hours of the day when taking it at night. I also read it is sedating so taking at morning to get full effect all day wouldn't be an option. 

I'm bothered by doctors saying this is impossible - the increased psychosis. Especially when I did find one that has helped me be slightly more functional. Anyone else experience anything along these lines ? What medication would you lean towards next. I am on SSI so i have whatever medical that is - I know it doesn't cover Abilify from what i read, but would cover Latuda with Doctor getting involved stating I have failed with Risperidone and Seroquel. 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. docs seem to think since AP are making my psychotic symptoms worse it is drug induced psychosis and I am stuck with it for life - no medications will help more than the Saphris is ... I disagree as this is exactly how my real Dad was. So it tells me it is genetic not just drug induced.

I have heard of people getting psychotic symptoms after starting an anti-psychotic.  Not on multiple ones, though.  When I first took abilify I started getting worse, but I don't know if that was a natural progression of the illness or the med.  I tried it another time and it didn't have that issue.  There are some people here with drug-induced psychosis and my understanding is that it gets better over time. You say the sapphris is helping.  How do you feel now?  Do you still have psychotic symptoms?

Confused ... I feel better but not right if that makes any sense. 

I still get very very delusional to in a way that doesn't seem manic but i suppose it could be given I am definitely leaning more towards being manic now. Just with a lack of motivation, so slight mixed state. 

As far as paranoia - definitely still there, just not as severe. Hallucinations pretty much gone.

Keep in mind both these symptoms flare up, even when I was on Saphris before when under stress. Which can be as simple as yard work for me. Last time I hallucinated as well as had thoughts of religious persecution was after doing only one hour of yard work out back. Learning my limits and what pushes me into psychosis due to stress is a learning curve. Seems most people with psychosis have it with or without stress if I am not mistaken ? 

Meaning I probably have drug induced psychosis - but not necessarily that it isn't treatable. Also - having 18 months clean today my brain may heal itself somewhat after a couple more years. At least to the point of being employable. Every day seems to get a BIT easier - but I do not push myself too far. Example, a couple hours of social functioning is pushing it. Social functioning in tight places for more than 10 minutes is too much.Paranoia is immediately induced. It could be severe severe anxiety but no benzo has ever helped this or the "other people can hear what I'm thinking - God they know I'm crazy" mentality. Which I have read is part of schizophrenia ... meaning psychosis. 

So .. In Summary : Better, But Not Good. Still very very very limited functioning. But I have learned not to beat myself up over that since I am nw going to be getting disability and can recover at a pace that is comfortable for me without others cramming me into "getting a job" when I know that would send my condition into MASSIVE overdrive. Sad thing is if I could get back to where I could work I could easily make $50K a year in my profession, have fun, and be more confident. I miss it. I look forward to possibly doing it again some day. If not at least some sort of employment as I grow in my recovery. It's only as exhausting as I make it though. Right now I can go at a slower pace which reduces my symptoms.

I really like the term drug induced psychosis better than "You will be psychotic the rest of your life no matter what"

For what it's worth, Seroquel made my uncle paranoid. And yesterday, my pdoc said she had heard of one patient developing psychotic symptoms on Seroquel. Interestingly, I developed psychotic symptoms 4 days after being on Seroquel 25 mg (I only took it for 4 days, then got paranoid and quit taking it). Probably a coincidence in my case, but curious? You bet. So, it is certainly not impossible to develop psychotic symptoms while taking an antipsychotic.

I agree with the above mentioned answers and get annoyed with doctors who poo-poo patients all the time because "they" know everything, not the crazy patients :(

I think there is every chance the APs are causing you psychosis but maybe need tweaking? Anyhow, my doctor (GP) has recognised paradoxical side effects - ie. opposite side effects to the usual ones or the meds having opposite effects and it is very real.  There is enough anecdotal evidence, I believe to support what you say is happening to you.  I think the stupid pdocs should be doing a bit more research into what real people are saying, not just what they have learned from old fashioned training.  Life is strange and anything is possible.

Stress is a huge trigger for people with mental ill health, psychosis included. Figuring out what is stress related, side effect, symptoms prior to getting the right dosage, anxious over emphasis on some potential symptoms and poor communication could all obscure the first few weeks of a med trial.

I never had hallucinations, until my pdoc prescribed Abilify. With this medicine I starter hearing voices which subsided when I quit the medication. To this day my pdoc talks about the voices as a symptom of my illness and not a side effect of the medication. When I started lexapro I began having mood swings and severe symptoms with the menstrual cycle

So yes, antipsychotics can induce psychosis

Edited by CookieN

Just a thought, but if a person were already headed towards the magical land of psychosis and took an anti psychotic to help head it off, couldn't a rough analogy be like saying that slamming on the breaks of the car while going at a high speed made you crash into the wall you were already headed towards?

I know, all drugs at different doses can do different things to all people given all circumstances, consult your physician, it you are having serious adverse symptoms seek immediate emergency medical care, consult with your health care professional before starting any new course of treatment, inform you doctor if your are pregnant or might become pregnant, yearly examinations are the best course of action for early detection, don't iron clothes while wearing them....

That's what my Pdoc said eldorado. 

That is why I tried risperidone so many times. Ultimately it continued to induce psychosis. 

It appears Saphris is the best AP for me. It really is helping immensely. i think a bump to 15 mg nightly and lamictal around 400 mg and I might have as close to the best combo I can get right now. 

Just a matter of making my doctor do the paperwork as well as getting him to believe me, which is messed up. I know he will mess with Lamictal but he is too lazy to fill out PA forms for me to increase dose of Saphris. My GP did it the first time after being prescribed it impatient last time. 

All in all, even the rough days are better than my best days from a few weeks ago. So that's a step in the right direction. Losing my Saphris really made me bad again, serious serious mixed episodes. I think it helps with the mixed episodes (hence psychosis) more than the mood stabilizer. I have also had very few adverse side effects. There are two, but worth dealing with.

1) Every night I feel like eating something within 20-30 minutes of taking it. I just need to buy some healthy snacks or real small meals that are low on calories

2) Restless Legs can be killer, even with the Klonopin which was working for a while. Comes in waves of intensity but there nightly every single damn night.

All in all, worth the price of my sanity, especially since the only time I gained weight was when I started binging on ice cream when Saphris hunger would kick in. All the weight has since come off when I quit. I have been blessed with a good metabolism.

I really like the term drug induced psychosis better than "You will be psychotic the rest of your life no matter what"

I hear ya.

I also have that term attached to my condition. Whilst it still is a shitty and long process, at least there is a better prognosis for us in the long term.

I too have my symptoms worsen after anti-psychotics. Well more so that I had new symptoms after anti psychotics: I am totally paranoid, depressed and have been experiencing "disturbances". These seem to be fading since I swapped from Risperidone to Zyprexa.

Edited by DanTheMan

I hear ya.

I also have that term attached to my condition. Whilst it still is a shitty and long process, at least there is a better prognosis for us in the long term.

I too have my symptoms worsen after anti-psychotics. Well more so that I had new symptoms after anti psychotics: I am totally paranoid, depressed and have been experiencing "disturbances". These seem to be fading since I swapped from Risperidone to Zyprexa.

I'm sorry to hear this. Like I said Saphris was first one to help me. Maybe drug induced psychosis patients get better results with this med ? I hope you can try it and it works for you !

It took a really long time for us to figure out that Seroquel was making me worse. Like almost a year. My dose kept being increased. I got worse. We were under the mistaken assumption that Seroquel was helping and that I'd be a whole lot worse without it. Well, we were wrong. At some point along the line, pdoc said maybe we should try lowering the dose since I'd been on the max dose for a long while. Surprise! I started getting better. I finally got off of it completely and felt a heck of a lot better. Don't get me wrong, I was still having symptoms. Not all my symptoms were due to Seroquel but it became very clear that Seroquel was making me worse.

I'm sure your pdoc is familiar with paradoxical reactions. They aren't common but they do happen. They're real.