CrazyBoards.org

ideas of med combination for ocd and social anxiety, help needed.

Basically im getting fed up with my doctor. It seems I have to ask for meds and he then looks them up in a book. The meds i am on right now is 80mg prozac 45 mg buspirone 80mg strattera. I have been on prozac for 4 years now and iv seen somewhat of an improvement with my ocd but i no i can always do better. I see on these forums that people have tried so many different combos of drugs and i feel im being left out of finding the ones that work for me. Im an addict so i cant have benzos even tho they work wonders for me. I really want to find a combo of meds that help anxiety the most. anyone have any ideas? those drugs are the only ones i have tried. my anxiety is still unmangible and im often self medicating with alcohol which i need to stop doing

Edited by MattFortunato

The thing about medications for anxiety is they really don't do more than address the symptoms, especially if you have found that you respond really well to benzos but can't have them.

Have you found someone who specializes in treating anxiety and OCD for therapy?

My guess is that you will get a LOT more mileage out of meds if you combine them with psychotherapy.

Thank you for the reply. Yes I am doing cbt as well but as a drug addict i am always looking for a drug that does all the work. Its almost overwhelming reading up on all the different meds i could be on. My concern is I feel the doctor i have isnt trying hard enough and is just keeping the cocktail im already on. I tell him I still have a lot of social anxiety but thats what the buspar is for which does not really work well for that. It seems to help my generalized anxiety tho so its definitely not ineffective. I recently read online that Nardil helps a lot with social anxiety but since im on strattera i think i would have to get off it because Nardil is a maoi. 

That is hard, being that far away and only have 15 minutes with him.  Maybe you can bring a list or notes or something of your concerns that you want to talk about with him, so you can start from the moment you sit down in the chair when you see him, to make the most of the 15 minutes.  ie, sometimes when I go to my pdoc I can't remember right away all I wanted to say, or I forget things to tell him (though I remember them walking out the door).  Having notes really helps me.

I have not. The problem is I only see him for 15 minutes and he is an hour away from me so we dont go often. I will bring this concern up because I know they dont like when a patient asks for a certain med.

Edited by melissaw72

Maybe you aren't expressing that things aren't going well strongly enough?  

I don't suffer from OCD but I do have social anxiety. I haven't found meds to be very helpful, tbh. I've found meds helpful for generalised anxiety, panic attacks, some intrusive thoughts that I was having, but not so much the social phobia. Sucks.

Thanks Melissaw72 I will probably write notes and bring them in but im also thinking of finding a new doc thats closer who i can see more often so he gets to know me. I think that will be best. It gets overwhelming to me to know that there are so many different meds and there could be one that works and I would never know. Almost makes it not worth trying because its so much trial and error to find the right one. Burial I will look into mirtazapine thank you for the idea. mcjimjam i actually have lol. I told him things are really not getting much better and I still do many of my compulsions and still have a ton of anxiety that makes  me self medicate. I also was smoking a lot of weed which makes my social anxiety worse but im getting passed that point in my life. Alcohol is a big concern for me and so is any benzos i can get my hands on.  Im now going to aa meetings and na meetings so i kinda want to get some of the anxiety delt with so i can obtain maximum sobriety. 

Prozac is C17H18F3NO•HCl. and is also known as Fluoxetine. It is chemically similar to Luvox (they are sometimes confused), chemically structured as C15H21F3N2O2 and is also known as Fluvoxamine. Many meds are changed into other meds (examples are Celexa - Lexapro, Effexor - Pristiq, and so on)

Prozac has a long half life, Luvox does not have as long as one. It comes in doses from 25mg, 50mg and 100mg. You can take up to 300mg, and it is approved for OCD and is fantastic for anxiety and you don't need stuff like benzos. It can be sedating for some, everyone responds differently. It is relatively inexpensive, probably the same, if not less, than Prozac. It helped me a lot through anxiety. About the same side effects as Prozac.. Definitely a med to give a try if you have issues with OCD and other anxiety problems.

For me, I had been on Prozac prior. It kicked in almost immediately.

Lexapro is also good for OCD, which I take now. But I found Luvox better. It did make my heart race (this is common with many meds and I, so I had to switch, unfortunately)

Good luck. Just a suggestion, as I cannot diagnose. I know other members that have had a lot of success with Luvox.

I have had some luck with Lyrica and citalopam.  The Lyrica does something that makes the other drugs work better.  It boosts some other chemical in your brain.  Problem is, it's only been tested in Europe for effectiveness on anxiety disorders, and the results are preliminary.

thanks for asking! I have not found a new dr because i have been bussy with school but over thanksgiving break I think im going to figure something out. I recently uped my dose of risperdal and things have been getting a lot better for me. Whats odd is it blocks dopamine and isnt dopamine the feel good chemical in your brain? idk what ever its doing it sedates me and helps me a lot.