CrazyBoards.org

ADs have all been sugar pills for me, one reason doc prescribed abilify; celexa may have had slight effect but at the time weight gain and fatigue weren't worth it (almost made me more depressed!)

If ADs don't work at ALL, would adding abilify help? Seems like it's usually added when ADs help, but not enough or poop out.

Anyone gone through this, maybe added AD after abilify?

Doc thinks my depression may be slightly towards cyclothymia scale but I'm skeptical

My AD didn't help at all until Abilify was added. I was at the max dose of Effexor (300 mg) for 3 weeks and felt nothing, then we added Abilify and my depression completely disappeared. 

So, I don't think your AD has to be "working" even a little in order for Abilify to work. 

You seem to have a lot of anxiety about Abilify, Climber. Are you worried it won't work? Remember, you are on a very small dose, so there is lots of room for you to move up if this dose doesn't work. Technically, Abilify is not meant to be taken alone for depression, but if it helps you, why not? 

Abilify usually works fairly quickly, but give it at least a few weeks to start working on your depression symptoms, and then if it's still not helping enough, go from there. :)

Hi there. Abilify made me gain 40 pounds. I stopped it because of the weight gain and the fact that it made me dangerously manic. Abilify may work for you though. It works differently for different people, so it might work for you. You don't know until you try.  

If you are skeptical, you may want to go to another pdoc for a second opinion. 

Also, mood stabilizers can help depression. From what my pdoc said, lithium and lamictal have some antidepressant properties to them.

There are lots of meds out there to pick and choose from, but as Parapluie said, you need to give it a few weeks to work and do its job.

Also, if you are worried about taking the abilify, keeping a mood journal can help you to keep track of symptoms before they get out of control. 

I hope that things get better for you. 

Edited by CynicalReality

You seem to have a lot of anxiety about Abilify, Climber. Are you worried it won't work? Remember, you are on a very small dose, so there is lots of room for you to move up if this dose doesn't work. Technically, Abilify is not meant to be taken alone for depression, but if it helps you, why not? 

Ha, yeah... maybe a good anxiety, dare I say even a sense of hope... well I'm new to all things bipolar, and Abilify is an interesting medication. When I was on 2mg for a month, I guess it did help. Hard to describe... sometimes I'm so negative I feel like part of me doesn't WANT to get better, or admit it. But I did feel better, just a little. And once I ran out, the depths of despair were unlike anything I've ever experienced.

I only take 2mg right now, so yeah, I can't help but anticipate increasing the dose a little helping a little more. 

But yeah since they only have me on Abilify (besides lamictal and adderall, which are incredibly helpful for other symptoms but no so much with depression) I was just curious if that was common.

I wondered about the AD because since none of the ones I took helped, kind of wondered which one they'd even start with! But I suppose like everything else it's some trial and error.

I think half the reason I post is for something to do... extremely hard to get through the day right now, every minute feel like an eternity :-/

If you are skeptical, you may want to go to another pdoc for a second opinion. 

Also, mood stabilizers can help depression. From what my pdoc said, lithium and lamictal have some antidepressant properties to them.

There are lots of meds out there to pick and choose from, but as Parapluie said, you need to give it a few weeks to work and do its job.

My new GP was actually the one who suggested Abilify, he thought I had some of the less obvious signs of cyclothymia (impulsivity mostly relating to things that are bad for me like shopping sprees, smoking, etc.; pretty bad postpartum depression; agitation/irritabiliy/anger, and the fact that ADs didn't work but Lamictal and Adderall both seemed to help); I'm seeing a new pdoc but she was waiting to see how the ABilify worked.

Yeah, after several AD's didn't work, a pdoc I had years ago tried Lamictal; it significantly cures my moodiness and irritability... basically without it I'm an irritable angry bitch. With in, the anger turns into sadness and apathy, but at least my husband doesn't fear for his life :-P