CrazyBoards.org

Landlords suck!

San

Ugh. Rent just went up 2.13% because its allowed to go up a certain % a year to an allowed amount by the government (even though I'm on disability, did that go up? No) and well, the elevators were broken since I moved into this fucking place and inconvenienced us until well, they still do, and guess who has to pay for them.

I no longer have a job, either.

I pay rent by debit, which in Canada, means a little machine they hook up via Internet that goes to my bank and instantly transfers the funds without any charge. I go downstairs to the office, done. It's due on the 1st, I generally pay on the 31st, when Disability is deposited into my bank account. Everything in Ontario is done by debit, nobody carries cash and I have literally never written a cheque.

The debit machine is down AGAIN. So, we were told, if it is not up by Monday, we have to go get a cheque certified or a money order, at our bank, to pay rent. 

FUCK THAT. I have to pay an extra 2.13% on my goddamn rent and now I have to go out of my way to go to 1 of the 3 of my banks in the fucking city (there are only 3 locations of the bank I use) to get a CERTIFIED cheque or money order, both of which I have to pay for out of my pocket so they clear instantly for their convenience? I don't give a shit that the cost is like $5-10, its inconvenient, they just upped my rent AGAIN.

I know I need to get out. Unfortunately we have to give 60 days notice or end up going to court or paying what remains, that puts us into January. Moving in a Canadian winter is not fun. So we're moving when winter has calmed down. 

I wish I could say this has been my worst landlord, but it hasn't been. They're about in the middle.

Rant over.

Ugh. I'm sorry you are not having a good renters experience. We aren't either.

We too are going to Move next summer or fall into a house though this time. We just have to finish paying off student loans and bills, etc.

Our landlords let a bunch of young college students in. First time renters kind of deal. They are the worst neighbors ever! They are loud and messy. They drink and lounge outside our window til like 4am!

And our rent is going up too. 5% up! I'm on disability too and that is going up like not even 2% I think. Don't quote me on that one though.

We used to be under different management and now the new management team just plain sucks.

I feel your pain. I really do!

Fortunately I have a great landlord.  Idk if rent will be going up or not yet.  I really hope it doesn't, but if it did, I would see why because the main rent hasnt really changed for 11 years.  I have Section 8, so my portion of the rent is different every year; but the main rent, if I was paying it all myself, hasn't changed.

My rent is also going up, and we are also getting out.

The issue is that the rent is going up and my pay from my job is not, as well there are no extra services being added with the new rent, and some current services are being cancelled.

Rent is going up all over this area. In matter of fact, the rent is getting so high here many of the apartment complexes will be denying the option of subsidized/section 8 housing.

It's a little late since you've already paid this month's rent but, is your elevator still down? If so, contact your local tenancy office to find out if it's considered an essential service in your province. If it is, and they have failed to repair it all this time, you may be able to receive a mandated rent clawback at least until the elevator is repaired. If you can get a number of other tenants to join in on the dispute with your landlord all the better, as it may force the landlord to make those repairs. If it's not, ask if there's a clause that states the landlord is required to "reduce the rent by an amount equivalent to the value of the service or facility being discontinued or restricted". An elevator is a prime feature in an apartment building, so it could reduce your rent by $25 per month or more until it's fixed.

Here in BC, if you're in a high-rise apartment then an elevator is considered an essential service and failure to maintain it is an offence under The Act. Otherwise, it's considered non-essential, but failure to continue operating it could mean that the landlord has to reduce your rent to compensate for the lost value of having that amenity.

We haven't paid this months rent! We can't, since debit is down, lol..

Because we're on the 5th floor, it is not.. but when it was down, people in wheelchairs were stranded.. it was fucked. But I WILL look into that, thank you.

• 2 months later...

I called my landlord about the heat being not working again and that my apt wouldn't pass inspection tomorrow if I had no heat, and asked the answering service to please have him call me back.  Well, I waited about an hour then called the answering service back and my landlord answered the phone.

I asked if he'd gotten my message about the heat, and he said yes, and that he was having (the company who does this stuff) come fix the boiler.  And I am THINKING, 'why the hell didn't you call me back to tell me this? ...  I've been waiting around all morning by the phone and you couldn't even acknowledge that I called and let me know it was being worked on (or will be worked on)?'

He is a good landlord but he can also be like this ... where he won't return calls unless I keep calling more than once.  Bothers the hell out of me.

• 2 weeks later...

Have a look in your tenancy contract, if it includes the stair lift and your landlord doesn't fix it, then he's in breach of the contract, at least that's how it works here and could give you something to levy in court.

Also in regards to the rent arrears, here if it goes to Court, they can only make you pay what you can realistically afford, once rent, essential bills like water and electric and food is deducted from your income, i don't know if that's the situation in Canada.

Is there no housing charities you could contact?, do you have state housing?, it sounds like you would be eligable here because you have mobility issues.

Edited by neptunesky