CrazyBoards.org

Going back to a med that you took earlier in life

This question is meant to be a a bit of a conversation starter.

Has anyone had success retrying a Med you had used years before? I read somewhere that going back to an old med won't be as effective the second time.

I used to be a heavy drinker in my earlier years and took Prozac for a number of these years. Now that I have been sober for a number of years I can't help but think I wasn't getting all I could out of Prozac.

Has anyone gone back to an old med and, if so, what was the result?

Sort of. I tried lithium 14 years ago and couldn't tolerate the side effects. But I started it up again 6 months ago and it has been helpful, without the significant tremor that bothered me before. Also have gone and off Zoloft a few times, and when I've gone back on it it's usually made me wonder why I went off it to begin with. 

I've done it several times. So far, it always works. I first took amitriptyline about 35 years ago. I've tried many/most of the antidepressants that became available between now and then. Some of them work sort of okay but not great. Others make me manic within a few days. When I'm down in the deepest darkest depression, amitriptyline is the med for me. It works within a matter of days to the point where I can function. It has worked without fail. I hope it continues. I'm not sure what I'd do if it stopped working because there is no other medication that has come close to working for me the way that amitriptyline does.   

I am now on Zoloft again, and it's working fine.

It was the first antidepressant I ever tried (>10 years ago). It worked well, but I decided to go off of it. Then a few months later, my depression returned. It was resumed but did nothing (but other antidepressants later worked fine). Eventually, I decided to retry Zoloft again, and it works. 

I think I switched Cymbalta for Strattera a while back, but then realized that I was serotonin- as well as norepinephrine-deficient and went back to Cymbalta.  Strattera as an AD on its own was a train wreck -- excessive sweating, GERD, and insomnia/vivid dreams.  Hell, I might go back to Lexapro one day; maybe the Remeron has all the norepinephrine I need taken care of!!

I've been on and off Wellbutrin several times. I started taking it when I was 19, and took it pretty consistently until right before I turned 21. Then I went med-less and did a lot of drugs. Then I went back on Wellbutrin a year later, stayed on it another year or two before having a mixed episode and trying what seemed like every med that existed for bipolar. I'm back on it now, and it works as well as it ever did and better than anything else. 

I would also consider taking Tegretol again were I to need a more traditional mood stabilizer. Tegretol didn't make me stupid and I slept well. 

I recently went back to Trileptal, which I think (I can't recall exactly) I stopped taking around 6 or 7 years ago.  My pdoc originally took me off it because it wasn't really doing anything at all.  This time it's proving to be a very helpful add-on for dealing with the angry mania I was sliding rapidly into when the season changed to spring and the hours of daylight got longer.

eta sorry, I posted without registering that you'd put this question on the antidepressant board - I apologise.

Edited by miab

• 2 weeks later...

Anti-depressants poop out on me after about 18 months... usually my doc first adds some sort of augmenter to get me another six months out of whatever I'm taking... but then it's usually switch time. I've moved from Wellbutrin to Celexa... to Lexapro... to Effexor... to Zoloft... and am now on Pristiq... and either Ritalin or Buspar usually work as augmenters for me... though Buspar makes me crazy dizzy for about a hour after taking it.

I have a friend who has SSRIs poop out on her in six months... who has been successfully doing a scheduled taper and switch between Prozac, Celexa, and Zoloft every six months with two weeks of tapering overlap. Keeps them all working at pretty much the same level. I really wish I could do something like that and have it work... but I've also been afraid of going back and trying a previous medication.

I had a short, unsuccessful trial of Viibryd for depression years ago.

I am taking it yet again, this time for anxiety. Maybe the Buspar-like action (supposedly the 5HT-1A agonism) with the SSRI will help, although Buspar itself did nothing for my anxiety previously.

I also enjoyed nicotine lozenges at one time, and I am returning to them because I think they help with anxiety and it gives me something to do with my mouth. :P

• 1 month later...

I took an MAOI for about 5 years and it quit working so doc put me on a different MAOI for a few weeks... After an allergic reaction to that one he put me back on the original MAOI... And the effects were really positive... When my pdoc retired I saw a different pdoc he didn't like maoi's so the idiot took me off of it... About a year and a half ago I got a new pdoc and he just recently put me back on the MAOI and its working great again!

Yes. I've done it with Lamictal, Zoloft, and Wellbutrin. The first time around the Lamictal worked really well. Second time, not so much, had side effects, not so great. Wellbutrin the first time around was like a sugar pill, second time around it was used to energize me and I think it helped. Zoloft has worked well both times I've been on it.

Carbamazepine and citalopram are second-time around meds, but I did not take them together earlier. When I went to the hospital, they asked me which of all the meds that I took helped me even if it was just a little, and I said carbamazepine and citalopram. I've been on them ever since.

I've trialed Wellbutrin several times without success. I've trialed sertraline twice, but the second time it didn't do anything to help me. I trialed paroxetine twice, but it never did anything for me. I've also tried amitriptyline several times without success.