CrazyBoards.org

What triggered your mental illness?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing really triggered mine. I was a "normal" kid I guess until I was 15 and got hit with my first depressive episode. Basically everyone in my family (extended family included) goes nuts between ages 13 and 17. So I think I was just genetically fucked. 

Edited by Parapluie

I have always had symptoms of anxiety and depression. I think I am genetically preconditioned for mental illness.

When I was 18, I was in a very abusive relationship and living situation until a couple months after I turned 19. During this period, I basically "lost it". I think the stress made my MI surface even more. I started hearing things a lot and became very isolated and more paranoid. 

Fast forward to now, and my symptoms slowly keep getting worse and worse and I am to the point now where I don't remember if there ever was a "me" before how I am now. 

Edit; I also wanted to add that my symptoms and episodes come on without any triggers.

Edited by surreal

I think I've always had some symptoms. Then during puberty, high school bullshit and depression started, though I am not sure if I'd call it triggered. Mania started later in my teens when I got very little sleep for a while. I don't really think there were extreme traumatic triggers for me, just small things and it would have started in any case.

It fits with how my illness is now, my episodes are not triggered by traumatic life events, just by small changes.

I had depressive episodes back when I was a kid, then eventually developed an eating disorder in 1988, then things kind of escalated in their own ways from there.  Diagnosed with depression in 1991, then over time to 2002 from BP 2, then BP 1, SZ, SZA, anxiety disorders, etc. 

After college ended in 1995 I seemed to get much worse very fast, with the multiple suicide attempts involved, and over time the psychosis worsened to its worse in 2002/2003, when I was diagnosed SZA, with anxiety, agoraphobia, OCD tendencies.

Any change seems to trigger and worsen the psychosis, as does stress and lack of sleep.

I became unwell at the age of 8, well that was my first depressive episode. Psychosis was triggered off at 15 when I used drugs, wish i never done them now. My first manic episode was triggered off when i was 18 and broke up with my abusive ex boyfriend. 

I've always felt different or off. Didn't have anything I guess you would say "clinical" until 12 when I got really depressed and developed an ED. Parents didn't make me take the meds or go to therapy so I just quit. Was prepared to die, I started saying my goodbyes. I was so underweight and told my mom I wanted to die.

They didn't force me into the hospital or anything. They were too concerned with my brother's health. I was just kind of put on the back burner.

I don't know what the hell changed in me (maybe sheer will to live?!). But I started getting less depressed and ate again.

I did not have a happy or cared for childhood.

The when I moved out my symptoms kept getting worse and worse until I landed myself in a long term hospital. I had a commitment order on me and everything. I was diagnosed SZA bp type. And I still struggle to this day.

I'm like The Emperor in that mine started after giving birth the last time.  I had postpartum depression with my first children, but I never recovered from my last and then started having my depression interspersed with mild mania.  It's been 18 years, so I guess it isn't going away.

Thank you all for taking your time to share your stories. Now is my turn to share mine. Since I was a little girl I felt different. But it wasnt until I was 18 years old that I suffered my first depression, which went away real quick. I would get depressions every 3 years. Later on I started to have pánic attacks. All this time I was able to lead a normal life, gradúated from college, worked for many years, socialized. Until I had my first psychotic break. From then I was never the same person. Had to quit my Job, its hard to socialize, concentrate.

To this day I dont really now what caused my MI. And even though I felt different as a child, it wasnt until my psychotic break that things changed. My life is divided by, before and after that psychotic episode.

Depends on which diagnosis. My Bipolar and anxiety is something I'm going to guess is genetic and I've always had, since I was first in therapy for depression when I was only 10. I don't ever remember feeling "normal". My borderline personality disorder I think is a result of the formula a lot of people use to describe where it comes from: already having a "sensitive personality" (bipolar) as a kid, childhood abuse (verbal in my case), and growing up in an invalidating environment.

I had my first episode of depression at 15 and at the time it seemed like realising I was gay and also not being too popular at school were the causes. Now I doubt that. I think those things exacerbated that depression, but I think I would have had it anyway. Or if not that episode at that time, then another one at a later time.