CrazyBoards.org

Until recently I thought there was no meds for BPD, I thought it was just therapy treated. I also have Bipolar 2 and I have mood swings within mood swings. But the mood stabilizer has gotten rid of my Bpd rage and intense emotions along with the bipolar long depressions and highs. Anybody else found a medication that worked for there BPD moods?

• 2 weeks later...

Antidepressants never helped my bpd. The best success I've probably had with a med helping me overall is probably seroquel. It made me less paranoid and helped my depression too. I quit that because I felt like I couldn't sleep without it. 

Topamax seems to be the go to med for BPD specifically. I found that it helped shorten the low mood swings and with impulsivity. It helped my dysthymia at the time like antidepressants never did. I eventually swing into a MDD phase and it was useless for that plus it gave me a rash on my face.  

I can't tell whether lithium is helping the BPD mood swings because I'm too depressed to have them atm. I was prescribed it specifically because of its anti suicide properties. Suicidal ideation is a big symptom for me and many other borderlines so *crosses fingers*.

Edited by magpie

• 4 weeks later...

As of Friday ive ceased taking my meds. on my 3rd day. i dont feel they are helping and i feel im getting worse. ive been on them this time since april /may i dont remember. i do know at present my head feels like a wave fluctuating back and forth and like surreal that im on the outside in or vice versa. i tell myself i can get through this because ive got through other habits. i want to see if i can do it with out meds. or until i see my gp and try something new. always a drug for another drug.

My pdoc has me on a combination of lamictal, clozapine, parnate, Ativan, and naltrexone.... This combination seems to be doing really good for me... It treats my depression, anxiety, and impulsivity... I have been diagnosed with bpd, anxiety, and my pdoc is throwing around bipolar.... My pdoc treats symptoms instead of the diagnosis.... It seems that older drugs work good for me... There may not be one specific med that works for you or bpd and the above comments contain good ideas.... I also believe that the combination meds and therapy is the best!

Interestingly enough, I don't take Topamax for BPD, but it does seem to help my moods somewhat. Honestly, I find the most helpful medication overall is Xanax to be honest, and that's because anxiety and panic attacks are co-occurring along with BPD and depression for me. I only found out recently about having BPD, so I suppose it's all on an individual basis. SSRIs are said to be the most effective overall, but again, that's not always the case, because everyone is different.

Once I started taking Lithium and Zoloft together it really helped to bring my rage episodes down.They helped my mood swings and kept me more clear thinking. I think *this* combination allowed the static in my brain clear out so that I could work on changing more of the congnitive symptoms of BPD.

Its hard to say what helps and what doesnt because BPD usually conicides with another mental illness. I very rarely met anyone who has just Borderline personality disorder thats probably why there are no medications.