CrazyBoards.org

Does anyone share this experience where you just HAVE to get out of somewhere, like the store while grocery shopping or just the bedroom, kitchen or whatever.  I get that frequently, but my husband makes it sooooooo much worse.  He makes me feel like I just don't want to be around him "why can't you just be"  he has asked me many times.  UMMM...bc I actually can't.  He'll stand in my way and not let me out telling me to work through it (insert many expletives here!)

How do you help people understand and get the fuck out of the way when you need to leave a room?

Can you take him with you to a pdoc appt, so your pdoc can explain some things to him about why you feel the way you do, and why it is important for you to be able to do (whatever) because of anxiety etc?

that's a great idea, I might have to do that. I have tried explaining..sort of, really more like "get the fuck out of my way before I punch you in the face"  and "I'm no longer responsible for my actions if you let me the fuck out" .  What's hard to understand about that? lol And we have actually talked some, but he just doesn't get it..actually doesn't get a lot about my mi (even though he has depression and anxiety himself, it's different for him).  

Thanks for the suggestion:)

Sometimes I get that feeling. It's more of a paranoia than anxiety though.

Long story short I got caught in a place where I wanted to and could NOT bolt. It was because of a past trauma. That was awful. I won't give any details due to triggering, but ugh.

Yeah, when I'm in full fledged flight mode, someone standing there and trying to reason with me isn't much of an impediment.  When I have to leave, the build may as well be on fire, I am leaving, stand in my way at your own peril.

I have experienced this many times. Big reason it took me so long to finish college, because lots of times I'd get to class, be ready for class,but suddenly feel the strong need to get out of there. Have many times abandoned my husband in the grocery store checkout  (why is the grocery store so hard for many of us?)Bringing your husband to a pdoc appointment seems like a good idea. It's hard for people who have never experienced this to understand, but he should try anyway.

Yes, and it scares me to death. The other day the maintenance man was in the apartment trying to fix our sliding glass door, which is the only entrance to the place. It's on the second floor and the windows are too small to crawl through. For about three minutes, he had us locked in the apartment, with him in it, too. I freaked out and felt super claustrophobic all of the sudden, and had to stand up and walk around to shake some of it loose. He's a regular guy and he doesn't scare me at all, it was just the prospect of being locked inside my house, and that led to thoughts about being locked inside anywhere and not being able to get loose, and I think I would panic to death in that situation. It's a huge fear of mine.

A couple of times in the last few months I went through panic attacks where I had to leave the room I was in feeling like the walls were closing in around me. One night it happened at the last place I lived when the power went out and everything was pitch black. I was so terrified, even after I lit a candle, I walked around the whole house with the candle for like an hour and it still didn't help.

I don't know what to tell others aside from just being truthful, letting them know that I've got a bit of claustrophobia/agoraphobia in certain situations and I'm sorry if I seem out of control, but it's just the way I am. I realized that even though many won't understand what I'm dealing with, they have to learn to respect it one way or another, so I don't make any secrets about my condition.

Edited by NeonGhost

I get this and have had this for years. Mine is most unbearable while in a vehicle (can't exactly jump out of a moving vehicle, eh?) Which I believe is exactly the trigger, if I'm "stuck" some where without an immediate way to exit, I loose it. I ALWAYS have to have an escape route or else I end up in a full fledged panic attack.

I can no longer get on an airplane, sustain long trips of any kind in a car, train, whatever. It makes me sad that I can't live my life, which in turn, makes me more depressed. I want to live. I want to travel. I am so fucking tired of feeling this way. I no longer work (long term disability) and barely leave my house. It's ri-goddamn-diculous. I am literally watching my life pass me by and it enrages me, yet I feel powerless to stop it.

I'm sorry for the expletive filled rant. Some days I just wanna crawl out of my skin and feel like I can't take it anymore. Today is one of those days.

I am literally watching my life pass me by and it enrages me, yet I feel powerless to stop it.

I'm sorry for the expletive filled rant. Some days I just wanna crawl out of my skin and feel like I can't take it anymore. Today is one of those days.

Don't be sorry!  I feel like that so often it's not even funny.  My claustrophobia (or whatever it is) isn't really the biggest issue, but I def feel like my life is passing me by..it pisses me off and yet I feel blocked. Powerless to do anything at all.  ugh..and that crawling out of you skin feeling...def relate to that as well.  it's awful.  I hope thing start to get better for you soon and you can start living!:) (I'll hope that for myself as well:)

I'm not sure what exactly causes it.  I don't know if it's paranoia (bc I'm def paranoid..although I always tell people, it's not paranoia if it's true lol..followed by their response of, exactly what a paranoid person would say anyway..lol)  or anxiety, claustrophobia (which I def have), anxiety or something else entirely.  

All I know is that when he won't let me out and I NEED to get out, I have this fire and fear that wells up inside me like nothing else.  When I have to get out, I HAVE to get out.   I'll try talking to him, not in the moment and see if it helps and I'm going to talk to my tdoc about it as well.  I just started seeking treatment (even though this shit has been going on for yeeeeeeeears), so I've only been once so far.  pretty new to this, trying to feel better with help thing.

Thanks so much for all your input, I appreciate it:)