CrazyBoards.org

Can't catch a break with these damn meds

In the last 5-6 months I've tried a number of medications and side effects have always popped up leading me to stop taking them. Around June I started to taper off of Paxil and that took forever in itself. I'd been taking it for years and years and while it was fairly effective, at least from a depression stand point, my anxiety was out of control. I could barely leave the house all summer long. All that being said I was able to work out 5-6 days a week and was able to be mildly productive in my own house. 

Next I tried Lexapro, both my parents take it, and it seemed like a good plan. But I just kept on getting more and more depressed and withdrawn and after a month I was at my wits end. Extreme depression and then having panic attacks because I felt so depressed. 

Cymbalta was next and while it helped with depression a lot it made me feel like i was looking at the world through a foggy lens and felt almost disassociated from myself. This feeling increased my anxiety  terribly. So Cymbalta was shelved.

Even though I have never been diagnosed as BP my pdoc thought that lamictal might help. Actually he was very optimistic that it would be very effective. We did the whole start at 25 mg for two weeks, then to 50 and then to 100. The first day I took 100 mg I started to lose it and have panic attacks. I seriously thought I was losing my mind. After 4 or 5 days of this I couldn't stand it anymore.

So that brings us to the present where I am giving abilify (2 mg) another shot. I had tried it last year while at school and experienced akathisia pretty bad. I gave it a week but in the midst of finals I just couldn't afford to lose any more productivity. I didn't know that there were other meds that could counteract this feeling either. But after I stopped the abilify I had about 3 weeks where I didn't have any depression and very, very little anxiety. The best I can remember feeling for years. So my pdoc decided now was a good time to try it again this time with cogentin. The cogentin worked like a charm for akathisia but I've had a whole grocery list of side effects from it. Reading up on here I saw that some people have used propranolol so I gave it a shot. it hasn't been very effective and makes me extremely nauseous. I may give it a few more days with cogentin to see if i can get used to those side effects but I am pretty bummed because a lot of people have had great success with it.

So now I'm a little lost. I feel like I just need a med that can make me somewhat stable and going back to Paxil or giving Prozac another go seem like what is next.

If anybody has any advice or experience they can share with me it would be very much appreciated. When I find an anti-depressant that helps with depression, it increases my anxiety in some fashion. I really just don't know where exactly to go next. I really thought the abilify was going to be the answer but I guess not.

When I could no longer take Abilify, I was switched to Latuda, another antipsychotic which has been approved for bipolar depression. I find it even more effective than Abilify. So there are other options in the same class.

Just another thought though, is I've often gotten increased anxiety when starting new Meds - it has tended to go away most times. Have you tried titrating up more slowly?

When I could no longer take Abilify, I was switched to Latuda, another antipsychotic which has been approved for bipolar depression. I find it even more effective than Abilify. So there are other options in the same class.

Just another thought though, is I've often gotten increased anxiety when starting new Meds - it has tended to go away most times. Have you tried titrating up more slowly?

The abilify didn't work out. Akathisia from the abilify and cogentin and propranolol didn't agree with me. Been struggling with dizziness and nausea ever since. A bummer but it happens. I think you are right about anxiety over taking new meds, I'm pretty hyper-vigilant at the moment.

Wellbutrin works well for a lot of people and I have always done well with Prozac.  What does your doc want to try next?

We decided to go back to Paxil which I restarted today. I need to get stabilized to a certain degree and Paxil has helped more than any other medicine I've found. I have a lot of things I need to get done in the next few months and I can't keep jumping around to new meds. Effexor May be something I try down the line.

Thanks for the replies

I hope the Paxil works for you this go around.

Have you ever tried seroquel? It is approved for depression add on and it sure helps my anxiety as well. Just another thought.

I hope you start to feel better soon!

Thanks I hope so also. I have tried seroquel, actually have a prescription of it now, but it is almost entirely a sleep aid for me. Otherwise I call it the nuclear option if I am having a really bad panic attack. I am super sensitive to it and haven't taken it for a while  I literally cut a 25 mg tablet into quarters and it completely puts me out and usually extremely drowsy in the morning. Apparently, at a chemical level it is very similar to abilify.

Thanks for the input though.