CrazyBoards.org

1st Round of Botox for Chronic Migraine

I had my 1st round of Botox injections 6 weeks ago.  I have had a little relief from them.  A little being 8 headache free days the past month, but those headache free days were only the pounding pain of the migraine free, I had all the other symptoms of the migraine on those days! lIke light sensitivity, nausea, light headedness, fatigue...  So I knew I was really not migraine free, only head pain free for the day.  Has anyone had this experience with their botox injections.  I am back to the daily headaches that turn into migraines so I am assuming the botox has worn off already.  Fairly dissapointed with the 1st round... 

• 2 weeks later...

My first round of botox made things worse, if that was possible. I really didn't want to do it again, but the neurologist said sometimes it took until the 2nd round to improve. So I did that round. It helped. Not in a "I can make plans for the week" way, but I had fewer days of pain, 3 or 4 as opposed to 5 or 6. He told me that if worked at all, we should set up an appointment at like 9 or 10 weeks. The receptionist would. not. let. me. talk to him OR his aid. She just kept saying "You will have had your shots less than 12 weeks ago," and that my insurance wouldn't cover it (which was WRONG, I was pre-approved). So I said fuck it.

The third time I did it was probably 9 months later, and it was this extremely strong, muscular pinpoint (instead of the standard pattern) version, done while I was in the hospital for DHE infusions. That did not work. At all. 3 months later, the same thing, and no luck.

That said, because of the one positive (if you can call it that) experience, I'll do it again when I can; I am transferring between pain drs. in San Jose and Salt Lake City, and they are a little slow. I figure a little better is still better, so it is worth the try.

Thanks for your reply.  I have seen my Dr. since my post and he thinks I will do better after the next round of botox and I get more "in my system".  He didn't seem to see the "silent" migraine effect in very many patients so I guess i am just strange.  But in looking on the bright side, it did have some positive effect, so I am going to continue on to see if I get further relief from the migraine monster.  I seriously would give anything to get rid of the light sensitivity that seems to follow me around 24/7.  

Crtclms - that sounds very frustrating that the receptionist would not let you do what your Dr. asked on returning a little early for injections.  Do the DHE infusions give you any relief from the harsh migraines for a few months after you do them?  I did the DHE infusion earlier this year and had some relief.  

The DHE infusions were great for a week, and I guess it got rid of the constant underlying headache, if you know what I mean, but I still had almost as many days of headaches. My pain Dr. kinda went, yeah, that happens sometimes, sorry. I've been sick with something else, which has drawn my attention away from my migraines a bit, and I am wondering if I might be adapting to the altitude change. My current pain doc said it could take up to 9 months, and we're approaching 7 months.