CrazyBoards.org

Sleeping has gone all to hell

So, I've been on Ambien for years, much longer than is recommended to stay on it. The problem is it's not working anymore. I can get to sleep fine, but I invariably wake up 3-4 hours later and am up for about two hours before popping ativan to go back to sleep. I realize this is not an ideal solution. I am seeing pdoc on the 14th, and she had talked about lowering my Ambien because of the new studies coming out suggesting lower doses for women (I'm on 10 mg.)

What I really want is a new sleep aid. I have CFS in addition to depression and anxiety, and not sleeping well affects me strongly, both physically and mentally. Lately I've been taking naps in the afternoon because I am so exhausted. Bad habit to get into, I know.

Does anyone have any advice as to what sort of sleeping aid I might try? As a teenager with CFS and extreme insomnia, I was prescribed Temazepam, and it worked well for a long time. Is this a drug that is still used for insomnia? I know it has a high abuse potential, particularly in the U.K., but I need something that will knock me out, because my poor sleep is seriously hindering my mental and physical health.

Any advice or suggestions would be welcome. Thank you.

Temazepam is still used. Here in Aus it is the go to sleep aid. Ambien has a bad reputation here. If you are taking IR Ambien it would make sense that you wake after 3-4 hours. That's about how long it lasts. Trying the CR might be a good idea in that case, but if temaz worked well for you I the past, that could be a good choice too.