CrazyBoards.org

Help staying on meds...

G'day as you know i've been on and off meds for years, lately off meds cold turkey...

I want to get back on them while i am in a good mood, i've re started a small dosage of everything again and will increase to my regular dose in 2 weeks... however i have a HUGE proble saying on meds.

My friends... family... doctors... my fiancee... my boss all say i am better when medicated yet i still have a huge problem with compliance

What are some helpfull advice you can give me for trying to stay on medication..

The reasons i have trouble staying on meds are as follows:

1: Side effects
2: Concerned about turning Bipolar after been mis diagnose and put on mediation
3: I 100% believe medication is an alien experiment on humans to test our brains for compliance and mind control
4: I believe this experiment is endorsed by the government to allow for more obediant sheep in their system
5: I believe it takes away my free will
6: I believe it changes who i am and the way i behave and i hate not been myself
7: I enjoy staying awake for 3-4 days straight and i enjoy the aggression and sadness
8: These medications didn't exist 1000 years ago, why do we all of a sudden need them and where is all this illness coming from?
9: It goes against my religous values
10: I think people need to accept me for who i am

So how can i deal with the above and stay on medication? I saw my doctor who wants me in hospital for cold turkey and has stopped providing meds until my psych doc gives me a 2nd review... i do however have enough meds to stay on until that review in 1 and a half weeks time

I just dont know how you guys stay on meds so well and i have a huge trouble staying on it

Chemotherapy didn't exist 1000 years ago. Antibiotics didn't exist 1000 years ago. People still died from cancer and infections, much younger and more regularly than today. I don't think that's a fair reason for not taking meds. And, actually, as early as the 2nd century AD, people were drinking lithiated waters for mania and melancholia (though, of course, they didn't know what lithium was or that it was present in the waters).

I agree on different things such as the -side effects-. I just hate all the weight Ive gained on meds, and the trouble they have caused concerning high blood sugars.

After taking lexapro, my mood changes are more intense and frequent.

I also agree on number 6, meds change who I am. Zyprexa makes me be a dull, lazy person who overeats. Abilify made me hyper and full of energy. I would wake up at 4am ready to go. Lexapro as I said, makes me moody. This is not me.

I agree that meds are alíen to the human body. I dont know the long term effects of this substances.

However, I am not able to live without these meds. They do change my personality but keep me alive. I do not know what my life would be without them. I have to take my meds everyday otherwise I have an episode.

Years ago, people with mental illness fate was always being insane. Meds improve life to some extent. I am grateful meds exist.

It caught my attention that you consider not taking meds, as I feel I have no other choice. It makes me wonder if there are different degrees of mental illness, and people who dont really need these meds?

Edited by CookieN

Its a very easy decision for me to continue to take medication for my MI.  I had a bad manic/mixed experience and I didn't want to have that happen again, so I continue to take my medications as prescribed by my psychiatrist.  I've needed med adjustments from time to time because I hit a little "bump" in the road so to speak, but I continue to take my meds.  I don't like the person I am when manic / mixed and I don't want to ever go back there if the meds can help suppress the mania.

If you are restarting your meds, PLEASE talk to the person who prescribed them for you.

It may not be safe to immediately go back to the doses you were taking. You may need to titrate up slowly.

1. Side effects that keeps you from wanting to take meds should also be discussed with your prescriber. There may be "cleaner" meds that would be more effective.

2: If you are concerned about misdiagnosis, talk your care team (prescriber and others like therapists, case managers, etc), and get some accurate  information about what symptoms you have that meet the criteria for the diagnosis. Check these against what people who know you well have to say about  you.

3: I 100% believe medication is an alien experiment on humans to test our brains for compliance and mind control

It isn't. If this belief is so strong that it keeps you from taking medication, it is delusional, and is likely a symptom.

4: I believe this experiment is endorsed by the government to allow for more obediant sheep in their system

See number 3. When meds work well, they do not interfere with critical thinking or rabble rousing.

5: I believe it takes away my free will

See number 4.

6: I believe it changes who i am and the way i behave and i hate not been myself

Meds don't change the fundamental characteristics of your personality. They decrease your symptoms so that you can be more yourself.

7: I enjoy staying awake for 3-4 days straight and i enjoy the aggression and sadness

It's not good for your brain. Also, refer to your concern about misdiagnosis if you "enjoy staying awake for 3-4 days straight." Good meds don't take away your emotions or blunt them. They make it easier for you to manage them in healthy, instead of destructive, ways.

8: These medications didn't exist 1000 years ago, why do we all of a sudden need them and where is all this illness coming from?

The illnesses, to some degree, have always been here, in all times and all cultures. I tend to think that there are social pressures and changes to the fabric of communities that increase isolation, fear, and hopelessness that contribute.

9: It goes against my religous values

Talk to the leaders of your religious community for more perspective.

10: I think people need to accept me for who i am

If you have good people in your life, this will be true regardless of whether or not you are on meds. Some people find that it is easier for them to maintain quality relationships with others when their emotions and behaviors are less erratic. For some people, meds help create that situation. For other people, psychotherapy is enough. For many people, meds plus psychotherapy are most effective.

I know how u feel. I was an on again off again med subject for almost a decade. One day I just said fuck it, I'm taking my goddamn meds. It's been four years for me now and everything seems to be working fine. I do still suffer from side effects with some meds, but the end result keeps me outta the psych ward. All I can say is do your best and do it for you. Best of luck.

The reason I stay on meds is because I do not want to become delusional and start hallucinating really bad again, where I go out of reality and land myself in the psych hospital.  That is one of my worst nightmares.

I have gone off my meds in the past though, so I can understand why you did that.  But IMO it is totally not worth it in the end.

Tell you what, your gonna end up doing what you want. You already know what your gonna hear. I am in no position to judge or preach. I stay on my meds for 2-3 years then get off them for 2-3 years then back on. You would think I would learn by now right? Nope when I'm feeling good for a prolonged period, over a month I'm convinced I'm cured! So I stop my meds. I always eventually get back on them because I don't like depression, I don't like anxiety, I don't like irritability, I don't like confusion, I don't like delusions, I don't like hallucinations. Sure I love when I feel great but it never lasts very long. And I hate all the other stuff. As for the alien thing, you have your conspiracies and I have mine, we each fall victim to them. All I can say is lot's of people go thru this and come out ok. Good luck to you.

Edited by IndieVisible