CrazyBoards.org

Antipsychotics and high blood sugars

Since I started taking zyprexa, 6 years ago I began having high blood sugars. Years later these high blood sugars were kept under control with metformin. Recently I did a lab test which showed my blood sugars were in the pre-diabétic range, which I am really preocuppied about.

I would like to know, which antipsychotic has the least effect on blood sugars?

Which antipsychotic doesnt cause insulin resistance?

Atypical antipsychotics are associated with metabolic syndrome which increases lipids and glucose. I'll add links to articles soon. I am not sure which ones are the worst culprits. My brother had issues with his lipids and glucose after taking zyprexa.

Are you still on metformin? Is it possible to increase the dosage? Do you know if you also had a hemoglobin A1C test done?

Edit:  Here is one link with a comparison chart

http://www.uspharmacist.com/content/d/feature/c/23859/

USP1011-Antipsych-T1.gif

Edited by confused

I developed diabetes 2 while on Abilify. Abilify supposedly has less risk of causing high glucose levels than other aaps, but that was not the case for me. I am only 34. I have since discontinued the Abilify but still have diabetes. I can't say which drug would work best for you but, for me, I am no longer going to take aaps. Of course, the benefits of them may well outweigh the risks for you.

Maybe you could ask your pdoc about trying a conventional mood stabeliser like lithium or an AC instead of Zyprexa?

I remember you said in your other thread you haven't ever tried one. Some people with BP need an antipsychotic for maintenance, but others get away with just taking them during manic/mixed episodes.

My answers to each one of you:

Melissa: yes, I am eating worse than before, but I blame the insulin resistance caused by psychtropic meds for the sugar and carb cravings. I will keep an eye on what I eat, starting today.

Confused: thank you so much for the chart, i guess i am on the medication that has the worst effects. Yes the hemoglobin A1c test was done. It was on the pre-diabétic range. I am still on metformin. I am going to appointment with my endocrinologist she will probably increase my dose. What does "t2dm" mean on the chart?

Malachite: what med are you taking now instead of abilify?

mcjimjam: my pdoc always says that zyprexa works as a mood stabilizer. I think in my case i would like to add a mood stabilizer, but not replace aaps. Because I suffer more from psychosis than real manía. I do have mood swings, but I tend to be more in the depression size. I have never experienced manía, although I have experienced some irritability

Will mood stabilizers work for my psychosis and paranoia?

Edited by CookieN

It's true that many AAPs can cause diabetes and high blood sugar. 

The tried and true method for reducing your risk of diabetes is a healthy diet and lots of exercise. Talk to your doctors about safely modifying your diet and incorporating regular exercise into your life. 

Zyprexa may or may not be the culprit behind your pre-diabetes. However, it's worth talking to your pdoc about the side effects of Zyprexa, and starting to weigh the pros and cons. There are many other AAPs or APs you can try that are associated with less risk, though the risk is always there. 

mcjimjam: my pdoc always says that zyprexa works as a mood stabilizer. I think in my case i would like to add a mood stabilizer, but not replace aaps. Because I suffer more from psychosis than real manía. I do have mood swings, but I tend to be more in the depression size. I have never experienced manía, although I have experienced some irritability

Will mood stabilizers work for my psychosis and paranoia?

Maybe. I imagine it would depend whether the psychosis and paranoia are due to mood episodes/cycling or if they are independant. It does sound like there are good reasons for you to want to stay on an AAP.  I hope you find a solution and are able to get your blood sugar down soon.