CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
squirmy

why do schizophrenics need therapy

I went to therapy today and while I was sitting there spilling my guts and realizing that all this honesty wasn't free it will cost a day or two of feeling bad. When I made it back home I got thinking what I quit my meds would therapy help then or is helping more than I think and I would react less volatile and I'll recover faster, not that I want to find out anyway just a thought????? 

There are different types of therapy. One type, cognitive therapy, helped me to chip away at delusions and challenge my thoughts.

How long have you been going to therapy?

I  think I do better with therapy, but I wouldn't be able to participate if I wasn't on medication and thinking clearly.

I went to therapy today and while I was sitting there spilling my guts and realizing that all this honesty wasn't free it will cost a day or two of feeling bad. When I made it back home I got thinking what I quit my meds would therapy help then or is helping more than I think and I would react less volatile and I'll recover faster, not that I want to find out anyway just a thought????? 

I'm sorry but I can't follow this. You said "When I made it back home I got thinking what I quit my meds would therapy help then or is helping more than I think and I would react less volatile and I'll recover faster, not that I want to find out anyway just a thought????? " I believe you're missing a word or two or punctuation? Are you asking if you quit your meds would therapy still work? I'm lost. If you could make this more clear you'd probably get a lot more in the way of responses. 

My pdoc does therapy, but only like 20-30 minutes.  I don't have a tdoc and don't want one, at least atm.

Sorry I am always a little scattered after therapy what I was asking is simply this what long term value does therapy have when your schizophrenic if you have a relapse how is therapy going to help

I don't have a tdoc either ATM. I find a tdoc helpful for mood episodes. I guess meds help mostly for psychotic episodes and the hospital? I guess I did have a tdoc teach me grounding techniques in the hospital. So that I could try and keep present when hearing voices. But that only goes so far. And that has been the most helpful thing I've learned in therapy regarding hearing voices.

With psychotic disorders including schizophrenia, tdocs are good for helping to learn how to cope with symptoms that aren't effectively addressed by meds, for helping you achieve a reasonable quality of life regardless of your symptoms, and also for a lot of skills coaching-type things.