CrazyBoards.org

Whem are u considered an addict?

Something Ive been thinking about: When are u considered an addict? Could you smoke pot once a week and be a drug addict? And I mean once u start are u hooked for life?

I'm giving this info simply as my opinion.  I am a huge cannabis advocate (I understand it's not for everyone, but it is certainly for many).

IMO it comes behind your motives.  Do you HAVE to smoke pot or could you go without.  Why are you doing it?  To escape and avoid a problem, to relax or for medicinal purposes.  

I don't think you could be considered an "addict" if you smoke once a week. To me it's more someone who smokes at least a couple times a day and who NEEDS it (not talking medicinal here).  

There are many benefits to cannabis, so I would look at your motives and go from there.  And you aren't hooked for life...if it was an "addiction" it's actually one of the easiest to break.

What do you think? Do you smoke marijuana daily, weekly, monthly: never?

There must be an underlying reason why you keep asking questions about marijuana. IIRC, you still have some unanswered questions in the previous topic you started asking if marijuana is a soft drug. If you are going to ask questions, you need to be fully prepared to answer questions asked of you.

I do not often smoke MJ, rather I use it as an ingredient in tea, with my physicians knowledge and recommendation. The tea is an adjunct to chronic pain control and I have no difficulties not drinking and/or smoking when pain is minimal. I am neither addicted nor habituated.

Can you stop easily if you wanted to? I think it boils down to that.

There's different kinds of addictions, most would argue. Nicotine is obviously chemically addicting, or heroin, will cause bad physical withdrawal symptoms and crazy psychological effects.

But pot to me is a lot like alcohol... Most people use alcohol with some regularity but aren't addicted. Me, I wouldn't be happy about swearing off beer though! I sure missed it when I was pregnant.

In a way it's a habitual addiction but most people don't reach the level where they NEED it. I think pot is much the same.

Here's the dsm def of addiction, I think it sums it up well : http://www.danya.com/dlc/bup/pdf/Dependence_DSM.PDF

One of my friends smoked it everyday for 15 years. He stopped because he said it stopped doing anything for him. He stopped immediately and never went back to it. He said it was easy and 10 years on still doesn't do it. As mentioned in the posts above, you have to ask yourself why you do it. If you stop believing in it but continue, then in all probability, you have a problem.

I'm guessing that u become an addict when u no longer have control of a substance. Rather it controls u...meaning u can't operate normally without it as you've become physically tolerant and psychologically dependent upon As this continues it takes far more of the substance to feel far less of its effects. U are an addict when chasing this feeling becomes priority numero uno.

I'm guessing that u become an addict when u no longer have control of a substance. Rather it controls u...meaning u can't operate normally without it as you've become physically tolerant and psychologically dependent upon it. As this continues it takes far more of the substance to feel far less of its effects. U are an addict when chasing this feeling becomes priority numero uno.

To me, addiction is when your not just physically addicted to it (re:cocaine is not physically addictive), but mainly psychologically you need it. Or feel you can't stop doing it.

I knew I had a problem with alcohol when I was sneaking it into containers and drinking it during the day when I worked in a daycar e :( I'd drink it right in front of the kids and tell them it was medicine. Not my finest moment.

I work in psych in a drug detox center. Addiction sucks everything out of you.

Edited by Energizerhoney

I have a question about weed. I like to smoke it. My pdoc always tells me it makes my BP needs not work, is this actually true?

I think it would be possible for weed to stop your meds from working. AFAIK there isn't an actual chemical interaction between your meds and weed, it's more like.. Say someone suffers from depression, they take an antidepressant and it helps, but then they start smoking weed and the weed has the effect of making their depression worse, which it does sometimes, if the weeds depressing effect overwhelms the ADs ability to treat the depression then it is kind of stopping the meds from working.

It isn't an absolute though. I'm sure there are people whose mental health is really made worse by their pot smoking and others who aren't as affected by it. It's ultimately your decision whether to smoke, so you need to try and evaluate what consequences your smoking has. If your mental health is not where you want it to be, stopping smoking for a while to see what difference it makes could be a good test.

• 2 months later...