CrazyBoards.org

Throughout the day, I have people conversing to each other in my head, and sometimes they talk to me. Sometimes I type out what they are saying. Is this considered hearing voices? It is very mumble and quiet. It can be a mans voice sometimes that is the prominent one. Sometimes I smile or show a certain affect when the inside person will point out things in my external world. Is this normal. Does everyone do this? I have been previously diagnosed with schizoaffective in a hospital.

Yes, I do this all the time.  I'm dx SZA also.  No, it isn't normal, IMO.

Meds keep it under control so it isn't as bad as it used to be.  The Abilify helps a lot.  This is how the whole hearing voices started with me; first they started conversing in my head (to me mainly), then the auditory ones happened.

Does you pdoc know about this?  If not, I'd tell him/her because if you can stop it from happening now, it is so much easier to deal with than getting it all under control later on, the longer it happens.

I have this too and I'm sza. I laugh out loud when walking alone because of the voices sometimes. Other times they are nasty talking to me. Making fun of me and telling my that other people are somehow against me.

I also hear voices outside of my head.

I'm not sure if this is hearing voices or not. Maybe you should ask your pdoc to be sure.

I'm a paranoid Schizophrenic and that's where it began for me also.  I had paranoid delusions that slowly turned into voices in my head talking about me.  Then it all changed when i wouldn't do what they told me.  Now it's just abusive and harsh to listen to.

How about having conversations with voices in your head, sort of like point counter point, pros and cons and stop when you want to? That would be normal right? People do this all time I would think. I know this is prolly different from what your talking about, but I do it a lot.

Edited by IndieVisible

and stop when you want to? That would be normal right? People do this all time I would think.

The conversations in my head, personally, don't just "stop" when I want them to.  They are continuous and I have no control over whether they "talk" to me or not, or for how long.  IMO this isn't normal.  The ONLY reason this happens all the time is because they NEVER stop, even if I wanted them to.

I was reading some pieces from the UK and Canada and they have this movement called Voices Are Ok, or some thing like that. Any way they claim as long as the voices are not telling you to harm yourself or others and you actually enjoy their company it may actually be normal.  In fact some therapists instead of getting people distracted from their voices are telling them to get to know them better. Keep in mind as long as they are ok with it and that's the difference. Who's in control. If you are it's ok, if they are it's still ok as long as it's not harmful. I found all that mind boggling. Any one from the UK here that can comment on this?

I hear different types of voices in my head, particularly as I'm trying to sleep at night... it doesn't seem to be harsh, but it can be once or twice... I find I can shake them off, but sometimes I like to listen to them - it's some of the most random things I've heard, and I like to figure it out...

IndieVisible - I'm from the UK and have been on that site and have seen that theory about the whole "getting to know the voices" - I can understand it to an extent, and I think one reason it would be suggested is because the docs can't exactly get inside your head to listen to them, but you can because they're in "your" head... so basically, you can get a doctor's advice but there's only so much they can really do, but because it's your own mind that's being dealt with, a lot of the working out and understanding is probably better coming from you. It's like when they say "to overcome fear, you have to face it." I think if you can try and get to know them, in a sense you're making progress and getting to know your own mind a lot more, and how to "wield" it - if you can understand those voices more, you can most likely gain some control over them, and gradually knowing why they're there.

I hope I made sense with that.

Another thing, relating to the "point counter point" - one night I was trying to sleep when in the distance I heard two guys shouting abuse at me (which has happened in the past, scaring me) but that night, having a little more understanding, I challenged them. They were repeating the same words, looping these harsh words. Anyway, I started listening into it, gradually going along with it all... then I started thinking up a word to myself... and they paused, and then starting to repeat that word. The next day, I started thinking into what they were saying, and I vaguely heard them in the distance, then I shook them off... so from that, I thought okay, while they were being harsh, this wasn't the same as when I first started hearing voices in the distance (which terrified me). At this point, sort of bouncing back, and going with the flow of things, I think it just eased them off.

• 5 weeks later...

I have it all the time. I did learn to tune out for a while so that I could even engage in dialogue but also completely ignore it. I worked very well but eventually I just went back to my old self. It's horrible when you have to show and explain things to people that aren't there, I find it so exhausting.

Yes, this is what goes for me too. Sometimes the voices in my head causes me to talk out loud in response to those loud voices. I feel embarrassed for talking out loud when I'm not talking to anyone. It really slows down my day. I write down a list of activities each day for me to do and I get some done, regardless of all of the voices in my head.

Yes, this is what goes for me too. Sometimes the voices in my head causes me to talk out loud in response to those loud voices. I feel embarrassed for talking out loud when I'm not talking to anyone.

I somehow learned to talk in my thought process, so nothing was out loud, but I could still "hear" what I was saying.  I guess it kind of came naturally with time, as I kept talking out loud and it was embarrassing.