CrazyBoards.org

is psychosis a form of trauma?

I guess it depends what you mean by "count as a trauma" - it sounds like you went though something really scary.  Like you say, it's not quite the same as abuse, but that doesn't mean that you can't talk about it in therapy and try to work out how to integrate the experience.

Edited by tryp

Actually my psych Nurse Practitioner has told me that by having very severe social anxiety for most of my life, I've developed psychotic features. She said something like that. So yes, it seems that extremely distressing traumas or situations can cause psychosis.

well that's interesting, but my question wasn't can trauma cause psychosis, my question was is psychosis itself a form of trauma, and in turn can psychosis lead to post-traumatic symptoms.

i sometimes have dreams where i re-experience psychotic situations- like i re-live in my dreams the onset of an extended psychosis i had following a period of taking high doses of concerta. added to that, dreams i've been told are themselves, figuratively speaking, a kind of psychosis. i think this would fit the profile of "night terror" but i'm not sure.

other situations that i've been in have been described by my doctor as catatonic, even though it subsided as soon as i was able to release my emotions in the form of sadness. i'm not sure the benzodiazepines they prescribed later were even necessary, to be honest.

sorry i didn't save my previous post, i guess i feel that others think this is a somewhat trite subject for this site so i removed it out of embarassment.

Edited by j.evang

I think it's traumatic but maybe not trauma per se.  My daughter used to have night terrors.  She didn't have any trauma but she would sit up in bed crying/screaming but you couldn't calm her.  She would eventually fall back asleep.

well that's interesting, but my question wasn't can trauma cause psychosis, my question was is psychosis itself a form of trauma, and in turn can psychosis lead to post-traumatic symptoms.

Yes!  Psychosis for me turned into some PTSD ... no doubt about it.  I did so much shit when unmedicated, and while I don't remember all of it, I do remember a lot, and when I look back on it (unintentionally, it just comes to mind from something triggering it) I am just so embarrassed, and will not talk about it at all with anyone.  I don't want to remember any part of it, but there are triggers that remind me at times of things I did, and I see it as PTSD.  Also certain music will set off hallucinations that remind me of the past, so I need to be careful what I listen to.

I wouldn't say psychosis (which was mild in my case) was trauma, but it left me traumatized. I am always on edge, running into rooms to see if I can find where voices are coming from, and I definitely hear music that isn't playing. But again, I feel like it was traumatic, not trauma per se.