CrazyBoards.org

Missing doses vs. halving them?

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. Basically, I'm prescribed Mirtazapine 15mg, and due to a mix-up, I can't get my prescription filled until a few days after my current one runs out. So I've got 3 pills left, but its 6 days until I get the next lot.

I've accidentally missed one day before, and it's been pretty bad- I have no idea how missing more than one day in a row would affect me, and I can't afford to have to miss university or work. Does anyone have any advice on what would be the best approach out of :

A) taking 1 each for the next 3 days, then going without for 3 days.
B) taking half of one each day (a problem with this approach is that the resulting 7.5mg dose isn't regarded as having an antidepressant effect).

C) taking one every other day. 

My doctor is on maternity leave and their stand-in knows pretty much nothing about it- I'd probably trust wikipedia more than I would trust my doctors knowledge in this case >.< Mine are the orodispersable type, so splitting them would be easy to do and probably wouldn't affect absorption too much, just at the half-dose they aren't really an AD at all so it probably wouldn't do anything useful.

Go to your pharmacy you get your refills and tell them whats going on and ask them if they will give you 3 tablets.  I think its very likely they will look up your record showing your a "regular" and be happy to give you 3.  This is not a drug thats abused (I think) so it should be a snap.   If your out of town and the local pharmacy is too far away ask the local one and give them the name of your regular pharmacy.  That worked for me when I was in a jam and the drug wasn't a narcotic or anything very abusable.   I probably shouldn't say that people find ways to abuse paint.   Sooooo dumb.