CrazyBoards.org

Any good exercise plans that have worked after you got off a weight gaining AP?

I gained a good amount of weight after i was on invega.  I'm on latuda now and i can't seem to shake these pounds off.  Do any of you have any good suggestions that have worked for you?

Or perhaps even a good diet that has worked?

Edited by Tewlz

I took an aerobics class a few years ago after I gained 20lbs on Seroquel, and I lost it pretty quickly. I enjoyed the group format, because I suck at motivating myself. But eventually social anxiety got the best of me and I dropped out.

I took two shots of Invega Sustenna and I will NEVER take it again! It made me gain 40 pounds in 2 months and now its going to be in my system for 3-7 more months.  I've been hiking everyday and haven't been able to loose more than 3 lbs.  I don't think you can loose the weight if its still in your system but that's just my experience so far.  

• 4 weeks later...

I just want to note that that's a rate that is typically considered unhealthy. Healthy weight loss is limited to 1-2 lbs weekly (or 0.5-1 kg per week) and that at the speed of 0.5kg daily you'd experience all manner of nasty side effects including a risk of fainting.

Really? I felt healthier than normal. You get all your nutrient requirements from the diet. I was energised and able to run a lot further than usual ( you do need to remain well hydrated with lots of water however) We have had lots of documentaries regarding this approach in the UK with no talk of negatives.

Obesity is the new malnutrition here in the west. Indeed with a diet of fat and sugar, your body does not get the nutrients it requires, so you keep eating more and more of the same junk never feeling satiated.

Try and do some research on this topic

I have done "some research on this topic". I know a fair bit about juice diets, as they are very attractive to people with restrictive eating disorders.

Recovery is where I learned that medically safe weight loss is 0.5-1kg weekly, and I learned first hand that if you lose weight quicker than that you risk ending up with orthostatic hypotension which can cause you to fall over (commonly seen as fainting).

If you lose weight too quickly you risk ending up with dehydration. Your body, in an effort to gain energy, will start to break down muscle which, will make the numbers seem attractive (as muscle is more dense) but will also cause you to look sickly and ill. It will cause great weakness. Your heart is a muscle too and the body doesn't discriminate. Rapid weight loss can permanently damage the heart for this reason (as well as the electrolyte imbalances caused by malnutrition). 

If you were getting all of what you needed you wouldn't be losing weight that quickly. 

Please provide me with sound scientific evidence of your "research" before you continue to advocate unsafe practices here. 

First time I have heard of this Rosie. I guess it also depends how much you were overweight in the first place, as you will lose most at the beginning with a diminishing loss as you approach your ideal weight. I simply followed the exact recipe as provided by Dr Oz and did not feel bad at all (all that I experienced was an initial emotional craving for junk food, but that soon subsided).

If this was that dangerous I am sure they wouldn't have aired the show in the UK with no disclaimers. Are you saying that the greatest loser USA also prescribe to your formula?

You do realize that Biggest Loser is wildly dangerous for the contestants and is basically advocating a combination of eating disorder and unhealthy relationship to exercise, right? That, off the show, the talent are put into medically inadvisable situations and that the only reason it hasn't proven fatal (yet) is the amount of close supervision and quick access to emergency medical services that the show is required to provide in order to keep their production insurance?

You do realize that Dr. Oz has been denounced as a quack, right?

You are aware the television is not a good place to get medical information, right, and that those disclaimers are firstly not mandatory (here, anyway) and secondly carry very little legal meaning?

Also, I'm not in America so I'm not 100% certain about what all goes on there.

I gained a good amount of weight after i was on invega.  I'm on latuda now and i can't seem to shake these pounds off.  Do any of you have any good suggestions that have worked for you?

Or perhaps even a good diet that has worked?

Hey Hey. I have something that you might very like to try.

2 major things i would cut out of your diet is processed foods and red meat.

Red meat is the hardest for the body to digest...and most of it is not fully digest too.

So once you cut those to out... replace the red meat u would eat with fish or chicken.

If you remove all meats from your diet....have food that match the color of the basic crayon box "red green purple yellow brown black" (veggie and fruit colors) and order amino acids offline to make a shake. 

Amino acids are the simplest form of protein. The body doesn't need to break it down...and it's a MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR player in your body's function.

My mother did it for about 4 months and she had kidney function issues.... so when ur kidney is low functioning you end up with a lot of waste and byproduct left behind. So she only ate veggies and drank amino acid shakes and it lowered her creatinine...which is "Creatine is synthesized primarily in the liver from the methylation of glycocyamine (guanidino acetate, synthesized in the kidney from the amino acids arginine and glycine) by S-adenosyl methionine."

PLEASE DO NOT GO ON FAST OR JUICE FAST... JUICE FASTS WILL PUT WEIGHT ON AND IT HAS HIGH SUGAR IN IT (FRUIT SUGAR IS BETTER THAN OTHER FORMS OF SUGAR.. BUT SUGAR IS SUGAR). YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO THAT BECAUSE IT CAN AFFECT HOW YOUR MEDS MIGHT WORK AS WELL.

If you can bike... bike around your neighborhood for 30 minutes to a hour. Walking on concrete can hurt your ankles and knees...not good shock absorbency. OR go to the part and walk on the dirt...speed walk is best. If you go to local YMCA or some place like that. You can swim...Anything that brings up your heart rate to at most 120 or 130...Ask your doctor what is the safest heart rate for you to reach.

If you don't have time for this... swap out option... instead of taking the elevator walk the stairs... if you are going to a convenient store (if your a city liver) go to the farthest. Even cleaning your house once a wee (as if your spring cleaning) is great exercise in my opinion. Just try to go the "extra mile"

When you need to snack... have a granola bar with fiber in it or an apple or a banana or some nuts (no peanuts high in fat).

also something that helped me alot!

I'm a empty calorie girl (sugary drinks).... cut out all sodas and sugary teas and sugary fruit juice from diet and only drink water.

I hope this help... i did this when i was younger and weight a lot.. i lost about 30 lbs in 6 months i would say maybe less time.

I need to go on a diet.. so if you want to be diet buddies... i be happy to join ya. We could encourage each other!!

PEACE OUT! 

peace_rainbow_peace_sign_glitter_text.gi

Oh. One thing I must stress (and something my personal trainer which I have started to use over the past week has stressed to me) although your weight does decrease significantly, your fat cells actually multiply. So when you come off your juice diet, make sure you replace it with a balanced diet and a decent fitness regime.

If you follow through with the same eating habits you had before, you will simply put your old weight back on in no time. Hopefully your tastes will have changed as mine have over the course of the juicing .......but be warned!

As the ancient Greeks advocated look for the golden middle I.e a balance in everything you do. No more of that fast food shite which is in effect processed crap - fat and sugar etc. etc.

Yeah I've done Atkins before together with weight training and looked quite good if I don't say so myself;-)

Not very good for your liver though. Also your meds are likely to impact your liver negatively as well .... So do bare this in mind. But if your primary aim is to look like an Adonis then yes it does work :-)

I had a similiar experience with weight gain from an antidepressant. I lost 26 pounds through diet and exercise. I counted calories (1200-1400) and did an hour of cardio 4X a week. I lost about 2-3 pds per week. Oatmeal in the morning, and frozen diet dinners (easy to count calories) was helpful.

Edited by dnautics

I think most importantly is just to find what you like doing. If you hate every minute of exercise you won't do it.

Diet wise, I don't ever follow any kind of a "diet". I choose to eat mostly healthy foods (80/20 rule if you take out ALL treats you'll be miserable and end up eating too much of them in one sitting).

I also discovered that doing weights (heavy one's) has done far more for my figure than cardio ever did. Cardio always made me starving hungry and I'd always end up eating more than I did before I started doing it but with weights I only need my regular diet. Also as you build muscle the scale doesn't always move as quickly but you find your clothing size changes a whole lot.

• 2 years later...

I did quite a bit of research about AP-induced weight gain and how to lose it. The two most important contributors to positive outcomes were a) logging everything you eat, and b) metformin.

That said, there are also good reasons to exercise while losing weight. First, you maintain muscle mass rather than catabolizing (your body breaking down muscles to meet protein needs). Second, you can eat more and still maintain a healthy caloric deficit to lose weight (500 calorie deficit per day to lose about 1# per week). Third, a toned and conditioned body looks slimmer because muscle is more dense than fat. The same weight of muscle takes less space than the same weight of fat.

Please do make sure you talk with your care provider about starting any kind of an extreme eating pattern/diet that excludes significant types of foods, though. Not every way of eating to lose weight is healthy for everyone. Unless your metabolism is majorly thrown off in some way, the general plan of eating less than you expend will work just as well without limiting you too much.

• 2 weeks later...