CrazyBoards.org

Getting nervous pdoc appt coming soon!

Ok well long story short. I was dignosed with bipolar back in 1989. I was on lithium, trazodone and klonopins 1mg 3x a day for about a year. I hated the blood work so I stopped after about a year in fact I stopped the klons too! Seemed ok for a few years so I was convinced I was not bipolar. Any ways got depressed and treated the depression with a new pdoc did not tell him about bipolar. Seen my primary doc for anxiety I really needed some thing for my anxiety and disruptive mood swings which I felt was caused by anxiety. Then I start having problems with focusing and concentration, paranoia, delusions and some hallucinations. So I made an appt for the ADHD test. I'm sure I have adhd because this has been a issue for me since childhood. But I am hurting in so many other areas I think I'm going to come clean on everything. I nervous because I have never wanted to deal with the bipolar, and I'm afraid it might be worse, like schizoaffective bipolar. But at the same time I am curious what they will say now. I'm also afraid they won't treat my adhd if I'm bipolar. Any one here bipolar and treated for adhd?

I'm just nervous they will say, "oh it's just part of your bipolar". Normally I would NOT care about the adhd, it's never been a issue for me, but my current job I feel I am in over my head. I have to take classes, and also online lessons with tests constantly to keep up with my job. I put it off as much as possible because I have trouble focusing and concentrating because I get distracted so easily. Also I'm even worse in class rooms because I have a hearing problem and even with my hearing aides up full blast I have trouble. I need to keep this job. All the other jobs I've ever had I did not feel I was in over my head and never had to take classes or exams or lessons. But I do want to be honest about my bipolar diagnosis this time as I feel I am only cheating myself. Thanks for your replies!

Edited by IndieVisible

I take a low dose of Ritalin (10mg x 2 a day) for ADHD (inattentive)

Since 1989 there are a lot more treatments in the mood stabilizer category. 

You might find the ADHD forum really helpful: http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.php/forum/36-addadhd-could-you-say-that-again-i-was-listening-to-my-head/ as there are many with comorbid diagnoses that take stim or non-stim medications.

I found during school, online courses were a pain in the ass for attention, but I suppose with hearing problems they could be more beneficial to you. Check in with your schools students with disabilities centre. They may have a way to have someone take notes for you: it's free for you, the school will pay the note taker (so everybody wins!). You will still attend classes, catch what you can, but it's a great service many schools offer. All my school needed was a doctors note saying you needed accommodations. Check out the students forum too: http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.php/forum/59-intro-to-being-a-crazy-student-whatsamatta-u/ 

Good on you for seeking treatment again, and honesty is the best way to go. Be as thorough as time allows.