CrazyBoards.org

Any thoughts on mentioning depression on an application?

I haven't worked a job for a bit over a year now. I've been on adderall for 2 months now, and it's helped a lot with my depression, so I'm thinking of throwing my hat back into the ring. Problem is, my work experience isn't that great in the first place. I don't really have references. I had one from my old manager, but his dad (the owner) was shot and killed at work and I didn't have the outgoing in me to give him a "sorry about your dad" call, so I'd feel weird putting him down. And with the gap, I know a hiring manager is thinking a 23 year old spent all that time playing video games and masturbating. And that hiring manager would be exactly right, still...would it be misguided to toss something about depression in the additional information/notes section of an application to provoke a little understanding? I live in the US, btw, if that matters.

I would definitely NOT put that in my application. At all.

If you get hired, and your depression starts to effect your work performance, that's when you can say something if you feel comfortable. But most likely, they'd probably not want to hire you if you mentioned that. It's sad but true.

I wouldn't worry about the gap in work history. Just say you had to take care of personal issues if they ask and leave it at that. You don't need to explain yourself and if they don't ask, than don't worry about it.

IMHO I wouldn't mention it.  Some people don't understand depression and they might not think of it in a good light.  The job market hasn't been good so a lot of people have gaps in their work history. I would say that you have been looking for work.  Also, if you have a good reference i would use it. I haven't been job hunting in years, though, so others may have better ideas.

It's really about getting an interview, more than getting hired. I've had bad luck at getting interviews even when I didn't have the gap, especially if I'm truthful about my work history (6 months at one place, 3 months at another). I tend not to mention the 3 months one because I'd be screwed if they called them, I gave my two weeks notice, but I quit going before it was up because I never wanted to kill myself more. 

Just keep applying to as many jobs as you can. You'll get an interview eventually. Try not to be too picky about the jobs you choose because even if it's one you might not like, you can stay for for a bit to build up more work history.

Good luck!