CrazyBoards.org

Back with another abilify q!

Doc upped my dose a bit (she gave me 4mg from 2 but I'm trying 3 first)

Last two nights I've had a good deal of insomnia; think a side effect from that small an increase would go away?

This stuff is magic but insomnia is not cool... Finally had to take half a Benadryl to sleep but I'd rather not rely on that :(

Oh yeah should have mentioned I do take it in the morning! When I first started it I tried it at night--no good! I take it about 7 am, and go to bed like 11 :-/

Oh well, guess we'll see! I suppose half a benadryl is a good trade off for finding a med that actually helps for the first time in 8 years!

Melissa, I think that's more common with higher doses? 

I have a little more anxiety, too, although WAY better than the depression without the med at all! I wonder if 2.5mg (from 2) would make a difference...

I'm on 30 mg at night, but it has always made me tired, even when first starting out. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Bumping an old post because I think after all this time abilify is still giving me sleep issues and I'm on 10mg now... Anyone take anything for the sleep issues? Benadryl works for me a bit but at the dose that helps leaves me way too groggy, likewise for melatonin. Man I'd give anything to feel rested in the morning... It may not just be abilify, but who knows... I've never felt rested since my 2 year old was born, even though it seems like I sleep through the night often. Although I definitely wake up a lot more often with abilify. Any other supplements that help?

I take my abilify in the am but am still having issues sleeping soundly .you see I was on Seroquel 25 then 50xr for many years and could not sleep without them.  I already take Benadryl and klonopin at hs.  The abilfy is helping me think more clearly but coupled with Seroquel I get eps and activation of my TD.  So, I see the pdoc this week and will tell his all this.  I am also on Trileptal 300 bid.  the lack of sleep got so bad the other hs I took some Neurontin 300 and it did not put me to sleep but it helped me step away from my computer and Ebay.

I always took abilify in the am because it made me manic, gave me akathasia, and I could never nap in the afternoon and needed whopping doses of sleeping pills to put me out at night. I'm sure you can form the opinion I have of abilify by that sentence. 

I am glad it works well for others. This is where "your mileage may vary" comes in. It was hell on earth for me, but others adore it. 

• 4 months later...

I take my Abilify in the morning because I had insomnia if I took it in the evening. Maybe you can talk to your pdoc about changing the time you take Abilify?

I have been taking Abilify 2.5mg in the AM, with 150 mg. Effexor B.i.d. Am sitting on the sofa now typing this at 1:10 AM, 2nd nite of no sleep, after 2 successful weeks on Abilify.  I finally felt "normal" after bad , black hole depression since I was 12 (I'm 71 now), but this sudden onset of anxiety, hypermania, and insomnia is hellacious! No sleep aids around the house either.

I'm too freaked out by the mania caused by 2.5 mg Abilify in the AM (also take 150 mg. Effexor b.i.d.) 

to continue with it right now. Maybe a good night'sleep aid would change my mind -- 2 nights now w  very little sleep ( maybe be 5 hours total). Dx is depression , probably both genetic and environmental, since 12 y.o.a. For the 2 weeks I was on Abilify, I was for the first time in my life, out of the black hole with teeth, as David Foster Wallace called it. Alas, off it on my own as of yesterday. Does anybody REALLY test these drugs?

"People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, redeemed: never throw anyone anyone out."  A. Hepburn